HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...rnational.html

Top unserved (non-direct) international destinations from Austin:

Tokyo
Seoul
Paris
Shanghai
Beijing
Dublin

#3 is getting at least one direct flight next year and hopefully AF/Delta jump on it as well.

Hopefully we pick up #1 or #2 for 2021 as well.
Yes!!! please let it be Tokyo and please let it be by Summer of 2021 when I'll be going. I had a strong feeling that we had a good connection in terms of demand for Tokyo for a couple of reasons which I have stated in the past on this thread but this verifies what I've already suspected.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Nov 26, 2019 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawgboy View Post
yes!!! Please let it be tokyo and please let it be by summer of 2021 when i'll be going. I had a strong feeling that we had a good connection in terms of demand for tokyo for a couple of reasons which i have stated in the past on this thread but this verifies what i've already suspected.
f

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:28 PM

L

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
She advised don't anticipate seeing "cranes" at the airport until 2022. Discouraging to say the least IMO.
That is pretty close to the ideal schedule in the master plan with construction starting in Summer 2021. They had planned on the master plan be approved 6 months ago so that's possible for the delay.

Hopefully they still start demolishing the parking garage in 2021.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:31 AM

Passenger numbers listed from the article, from September 2018 to August 2019.

Tokyo- 13,220
Seoul- 12,981
Paris- 12,610
Shanghai- 4,921
Beijing- 4,831
Dublin- 4,716
Rome- 4,181
Tel Aviv- 3,994
Taipei- 3,977
Sao Paulo- 3,777

So roughly 36 people per day fly from Austin-Tokyo. Nonstop flights usually account for 10% growth to a destination, and counting connections that can be made to other Asian cities, Asia may be in sight for AUS. Looking at old data from 2011, AUS-Tokyo had 4,400 passengers per year, so impressive growth.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:16 PM

what is the "magic number" a destination needs before it becomes obvious to a carrier to add it as a non-stop? if there is one.

Seems to me that 13k seems low. only 250 passengers per week.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:26 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
what is the "magic number" a destination needs before it becomes obvious to a carrier to add it as a non-stop? if there is one.

This number doesn't include all of the connecting passengers the route will create. I don't know an exact number of how many extra passengers that would be. But I am sure it would be a considerable amount.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

These numbers are just those going thru the Austin airport. I'm sure that once one or two Asian flights get going we'll pull from Temple/Waco/Killeen, San Antonio/South Texas and maybe even areas closer to Houston that don't want to fight Bush Airport. Just my humble opinion that's not based on anything 'cept...well...my humble opinion.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
These numbers are just those going thru the Austin airport. I'm sure that once one or two Asian flights get going we'll pull from Temple/Waco/Killeen, San Antonio/South Texas and maybe even areas closer to Houston that don't want to fight Bush Airport. Just my humble opinion that's not based on anything 'cept...well...my humble opinion.
Well, it wouldn't be just that. It would also include people connecting from cities that aren't within driving distance.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 5:01 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Well, it wouldn't be just that. It would also include people connecting from cities that aren't within driving distance.
I would assume most of our flights will have limited connections to them. Most of those would go through larger hubs still (when it the last time you connected to CDG through Indianapolis). There will be *some* connecting traffic in Austin, but not much.

The bigger get will be people flying into either Tokyo or Seoul and connecting to the rest of Asia.

If you could pull 60-70% of those going from Austin to Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei and other ancillary Asian destinations that are currently connecting elsewhere... and have them fly AUS-NRT-??? mark than you could be looking at numbers that start to make sense for a route.

That said, I am a princess and I want a flight to HND so that I can avoid the trip to NRT.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:43 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but due to international partnerships wouldn’t a connection to Tokyo be in American and United’s best interest while Seoul would be in Deltas?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 10:14 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Actually, I believe NRT is considered a International Hub of Delta's. I pretty sure Delta metal is more prevalent at NRT than at ICN. Having said that, Delta does have a strong partnership with Korean (thus, the lack of Delta metal there).

But, yes. American (and it's partner JAL) and United have a large presence at NRT.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Actually, I believe NRT is considered a International Hub of Delta's. I pretty sure Delta metal is more prevalent at NRT than at ICN. Having said that, Delta does have a strong partnership with Korean (thus, the lack of Delta metal there).

But, yes. American (and it's partner JAL) and United have a large presence at NRT.
NRT was a hub for DL until recently, all NRT flights are being moved to HND. I agree with StoOgE that I would much rather have a flight to HND than NRT. My family and I flew into HND a few months back and the airport is pretty close to the main downtown of Tokyo, 15min versus over an hour from NRT.
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...aneda-in-2020/

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:05 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
NRT was a hub for DL until recently, all NRT flights are being moved to HND. I agree with StoOgE that I would much rather have a flight to HND than NRT. My family and I flew into HND a few months back and the airport is pretty close to the main downtown of Tokyo, 15min versus over an hour from NRT.
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...aneda-in-2020/
Okay. Didn't know that. Thanks.

HND would obviously be better regarding proximity to central Tokyo. However, I don't think Austin will get one of the very valuable slots and aren't connections throughout Asia better at NRT than HND???

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgeekDL View Post
Yes, onward connections are better at NRT than HND, but the latter is better for O&D. Tokyo really messed up IMO not building a more centralized main airport than can handle both domestic and international.
HND does almost 90 million passengers a year and is the 5th busiest airport in the world. I think it's safe to say it's full.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:46 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
HND does almost 90 million passengers a year and is the 5th busiest airport in the world. I think it's safe to say it's full.
HND is great. NRT is too far out. They should have built it closer to where Disney is. Other side of the city from HND still, but with bad connections you can be 1:30 out from getting to NRT.

I've nearly missed two flights taking the Skyliner which is a necessity if you aren't staying near Shinjuku or Tokyo Station. The N'ex is ok, but doesn't have enough departure times for early flights.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
HND is great. NRT is too far out. They should have built it closer to where Disney is. Other side of the city from HND still, but with bad connections you can be 1:30 out from getting to NRT.

I've nearly missed two flights taking the Skyliner which is a necessity if you aren't staying near Shinjuku or Tokyo Station. The N'ex is ok, but doesn't have enough departure times for early flights.
There is an airforce base west of HND so they need as much eastern airspace as they can get. I think the Japanese know what they are doing when it comes to infrastructure.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:17 PM

R

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:43 PM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Robust passenger numbers tied to the busy fall festival season set new records in October with 1,571,056 passengers traveling through Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, the third busiest month in airport history. This was a 9.5% increase compared to October 2018. Overall for the year, passenger traffic is up 9.27%, with 14,419,259 travelers choosing to Fly Austin so far in 2019.

https://www.austintexas.gov/news/oct...stin-bergstrom
Wow... it looks like we just may hit 17 million passengers this year.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
wow... It looks like we just may hit 17 million passengers this year.
u

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 4:13 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin