HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Lots going on downtown today!

Concrete barriers going up around the Salter side of the Maritime Centre.
What is being done there?

That entrance to MC was always the darkest, coldest, windiest and nastiest part of that development.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
What is being done there?

That entrance to MC was always the darkest, coldest, windiest and nastiest part of that development.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 3:59 AM

Since they are extending that narrow cornice across the existing blank concrete wall, I don't understand why they wouldn't take the opportunity to install a proper canopy over the Barrington Street sidewalk here. Something to decisively fix the wind problem.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That's too bad, Keith. Hopefully something really good will be done with the building. I had always held out the hope that they would rebuild the old clock tower, but I knew it would never happen.

Source - Dartmouth Federal Building and Post Office
Retrieval code: 101-80C-6-3
[196-?]
This will probably fall under the obsessive minutiae category, but I noticed another photo in which the old Dartmouth Post Office's clock tower is vislble. It's taken from Portland Street in 1967, and it's on the Halifax Municipal Archives site:

101-103 Portland St., Leonard's Lunch and John's Pastry
[1967] (101-80C-2-8-N-75)

The above post was originally a reply about the Dartmouth Post Office being closed down, but looking at it now, it probably would have been more appropriately posted in the "Old Halifax" thread...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 3:21 AM

In front of Council this week: a park plan for Gorsebrook park, expect to see some changes starting in 2022 if approved

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 12:57 PM

I didn't realize Gorsebrook had been a golf course. Makes sense when you look at the landscape, but it's also crazy to think there was a time when there was enough space on the Peninsula that it was a reasonable use of land.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:40 PM

Hey, it's only 3 MILLION DOLLARS of taxpayer cash. Mere pocket change for a tax-and-spend guy like Mason.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:16 PM

Seems pretty reasonable for one of the largest green spaces at the heart of our urban area surrounded by the densest populations in NS

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Seems pretty reasonable for one of the largest green spaces at the heart of our urban area surrounded by the densest populations in NS
I agree. We need to continue to develop aspects of the city that make it a better place to live for its residents.

The business case for investment has to take into account the wellbeing of Haligonians, not just costs and financial returns (though one could argue that the wellbeing of its citizens does have a financial return, it's just not that easy to quantify, but it does exist).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:31 PM

It already is a park and well-used. I doubt $3 million will make it used very much more than it is. But it keeps a bunch of planners busy in the HRM bureaucracy, helping to justify their continued employment, and Mason gets another monument to point at in his reelection campaign, one paid for by us.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:14 PM

6321 Quinpool Road (former Esso Station) is now listed for sale. It is a package deal with 4 other sites outside of the city. It seems a little strange, but may be a way to offload those sites too?

6321 Quinpool Road - Cushman Wakefield Atlantic

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:24 PM

In other gas station news, Nine Locks is moving to the former gas station site (Ultramar IIRC) across from Paddler's Cove on Prince Albert in Dartmouth.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
6321 Quinpool Road (former Esso Station) is now listed for sale. It is a package deal with 4 other sites outside of the city. It seems a little strange, but may be a way to offload those sites too?

6321 Quinpool Road - Cushman Wakefield Atlantic
That's great news! We were talking about that lot in another thread just last month. I emailed Imperial Oil asking about their plans for the site but never got a reply.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 2:14 AM

O'Regan's Nissan on Kempt is soon to be renovated. The dealership has vacated and moved to the former Hillcrest VW on an interim basis. I assume this renovation will also include the demolition of the former Isnor Motors building.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 12:25 PM

It will be interesting to see what O'Regans does with the former Hillcrest property. They also own the lot across the street on Kempt which is somewhat small for a dealership these days. Their GM operation on Robie is badly in need of redoing so I wonder if it will move there.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 2:08 PM

Got a question for those in the know about car dealerships in Halifax: What was in the Volvo of Halifax building before Volvo, or was it always Volvo? It's one of the nicer looking older dealership buildings around, and I'm trying to figure out if it was built to a particular corporate style or not.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 10:16 PM

The site (but not the current building) was where Towne Toyota was I believe. They originally had a smallish octagonal showroom building with an attached service department. When they relocated further up Kempt Rd I believe it became Dexter Subaru. I don't recall if they built the current facility or not, but I suspect not. The existing Steele Volvo/Land Rover/Jaguar/Porsche facility there seems rather downmarket for the lines they are selling out of there.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:13 PM

Thanks Keith. Doesn't sound like anything overly significant there.

And you're right about those buildings - if you look at Google Maps 3D, the Porsche building looks like it was originally one of those cheap steel buildings with the arched roof. I'm surprised that the companies have not gotten after them to upgrade, but I guess it looks alright from street level...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:18 PM

Streetview still offers these images from 10 years ago. In this one you see the old Toyota octagonal showroom and attached service dept. I had forgotten that Audi had moved in there.

https://goo.gl/maps/QSpGNX1wPJ7WaGfe7

Adjacent is the Dexter Subaru operation which is now the Volvo dealership:

https://goo.gl/maps/s1amxpbLS7HcNzKYA

The existing Porsche/Jag/Land Rover facilities were there as now back in 2009. Unfortunate the images don't go back further.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Streetview still offers these images from 10 years ago. In this one you see the old Toyota octagonal showroom and attached service dept. I had forgotten that Audi had moved in there.

https://goo.gl/maps/QSpGNX1wPJ7WaGfe7

Adjacent is the Dexter Subaru operation which is now the Volvo dealership:

https://goo.gl/maps/s1amxpbLS7HcNzKYA

The existing Porsche/Jag/Land Rover facilities were there as now back in 2009. Unfortunate the images don't go back further.
I actually looked at buying a Subaru there back around 2007 (I didn't), but IIRC Subaru only occupied that small outbuilding for their showroom, and their service dept was up on the hill above them. Audi was in the space next door at that time, but IIRC, they shared parking with Subaru. I recall it was tight moving vehicles around for test drives.

The building next door was still occupied by Volvo at that time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth