HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
Landing at Midway is insane. Driving in your car right next to it when a plane is taking off (and you don't realize whats going on) is also insane.
Pretty sure I saw an F-18 once 40 feet above the car i was riding in lading into Midway once.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:25 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsule F View Post
Landing at Midway is insane. Driving in your car right next to it when a plane is taking off (and you don't realize whats going on) is also insane.
Midway and Burbank are a lot a like, you land in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Playa del Rey is great. It has a strong sense of place, like a lot of small neighborhoods tucked into unusual little corners of the city. That's one thing I love about LA, the neighborhoods have a very strong sense of place due to local geographic features. Fun fact: that area used to be the mouth of the LA river in the early Spanish colonial days.
It feels like you're in another city. Great beach vibe to it. Its not busy or anything, LA has enough of those places.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cleveland hopkins is very interesting as it has the nasa glenn research center and one of the largest exhibition centers there is in the i-x center on its campus (fka the gm b52 bomber plant in ww2). also, one of the first consolidated off site rental car campuses, which was pretty cool when it was built and i still occasionally appreciate, although it could use an airtrain service instead of shuttle buses.

its also is one of the oldest airports in the world and has many of the firsts:

Cleveland Hopkins is of particular importance to the history of commercial air travel due to a number of first-in-the-world innovations that would eventually become the global standard. Founded in 1925, it was the first municipality-owned facility of its kind in the United States.[5] It was the site of the first air traffic control tower, the first ground-to-air radio control system, and the first airfield lighting system, all in 1930; and it was the first U.S. airport to be directly connected to a local or regional rail transit system, in 1968. It was also the first airport to employ a two-level terminal design separating arrivals from departures.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^

CLE took a huge hit when Continental merged with United and United later downgraded CLE as a hub.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 8:45 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Just curious, why do you like Playa Del Rey? It seems quite sterile and boring to me. The Ballona wetlands are pretty and interesting, but PDR itself always seemed pretty blah to me. Neighboring El Segundo is a bit more interesting, and they actually have a somewhat cute little downtown. Of course, the South Bay beach cities (Manhattan and Hermosa, especially) are the stars in that area near LAX, but I guess they're a bit too far to be considered 'airport neighborhoods'.
I absolutely love Playa del Rey. It feels like an authentic beach side neighborhood. Very chill and laid back. Considering that you are between LAX and Marina del Rey, the fact that it's a quiet little node is a plus. All I would need is a bike and you are 10-15 minutes away from Marina del Rey, Venice, and down the ways a bit to Santa Monica. I'd buy a house on that lagoon today if I could. I had a friend who lived in Westchester and we would hangout at the lagoon and walk all the way out onto the jetty and watch dolphins and airplanes. One of my favorite places in LA.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:14 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Miami doesn’t have a super tall yet largely because the airport is so close to Downtown. Maybe not on San Diego’s level but it’s in the center of the city as well as south of Hialeah, the second largest city in Dade County. The closest airport neighborhood is Flagami, which is probably a continuation of Little Havana.

Miami international Airport by Justo Ruiz, on Flickr

Alameda Flagami Miami Florida Aerial by David Oppenheimer, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Pretty sure I saw an F-18 once 40 feet above the car i was riding in lading into Midway once.
Probably was. A lot of pilots like to take the jets to their hometowns in order to get "flight time" while really just spending thousands of taxpayer dollars for them to take a vacation.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^

CLE took a huge hit when Continental merged with United and United later downgraded CLE as a hub.

yeah it really took a wallop with that loss in 2014 and one of the four concourses is closed, concourse D, but luckily at least united still has to pay the rent until 2027 ($1,112,482 a month).

lately, with the addition of discount airlines like frontier, allegiant and others, the passenger count has actually been above the continental/united era levels since 2017. also, and i did not know this, but united still maintains some backend operations there, like crew, food service and repairs.

in this aerial below you can see nasa glenn on the left and the absolutely massive old bomber plant i-x center on the right.

the 2,200,000-square-foot (200,000 m2) i-x center building includes over 1,000,000 square feet (93,000 m2) total square feet of exhibition and conference space. making it one of the largest meeting, convention, and exhibition centers in the united states. the diverse show schedule includes public events featuring one of the country's largest boat shows, trade shows, banquets and meetings attracting over 2 million visitors each year.

originally located within suburban brookpark, the building and 90 acres (36 ha) of neighboring land became part of cleveland city in a 2001 land swap that sent most of the nasa glenn research center to brookpark.

that land deal was done with an eye toward expansion at some point, so the i-x would have to go, because otherwise the old airport is pretty much hemmed in.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions