HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:17 PM

Yes. And a 25 story version would be a great addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
this one? there were rumors at the time that there was a 20+ floor version of this, as well, which would've made it a new tallest.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:39 PM
All man. Half nuts.

last month's design review meeting to review the Winco project on Myrtle got pushed to March 11:

Quote:
DRH19-00560 / Bruce Bastian - JB Earl Company

Construct a mixed-use residential and commercial development consisting of nine buildings with 11,000 square feet of retail, 235 residential units, and resident amenities on property located in a C- 2D (General Commercial with Design Review) zone. (This item was deferred at the February 12, 2020 hearing.)
Katelyn Menuge
this is scheduled to be a work session to review 50% of the construction drawings.

you can see all the documents to date on PDS:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH19-00252

this document shows and aerial view of the project to give a good perspective:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...06141305470980

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:45 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomps4 View Post
Does anyone have any insight into the demand for downtown office space? I was thinking about the potential for a new 10+, or hopefully20+, story building and whether or not there would be one in the next 5 years if the economy remains strong. With the new Simplot headquarters and 11th & Idaho downtown, plus the space at Eagle & Overland and Ten Mile; I'm curious if everything is filling up and being absorbed, or it there's a surplus that has softened the market.

new story in BoiseDev had a link to a TOK study on office vacancy. even with all the recent new buildings (such as Pioneer Crossing), downtown vacancy rates are still extremely low:

Downtown Boise
Total SF: 6,941,603
Occupied: 6,529,062
Vacancy rate: 5.94%

Office vacancy for Ada county is even lower, at 5.5%. I think downtown could EASILY absorb a large-scale office tower; Boise really has been a "if you build it they will come" type of market in recent years.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:11 PM

I've received an email with information that 132 Main Condos (between 1st and 2nd Streets) will be breaking ground this summer. The Metropolitan condos on 8th Street in the North End are finally beginning construction soon with a completion in summer of next year. Several projects will begin construction in the West End this summer, and of course Garden City is exploding with new residential multi family developments.

Does anyone know about the status of Trappers Island?

https://www.idahopress.com/trapper-s...e02636e53.html

The last I heard is that the developer was being sued by someone (cough) who lives on the Bench above Albertsons Park because they don't want their view impeded upon by the height of the proposed buildings.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...size=750%2C388

And, I also echo the appreciation of the photo updates from Sawtooth. This forum has to be the best and most thorough place on the web to see photo updates of construction progress in our city.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:21 PM
All man. Half nuts.

trapper's island was approved last fall. story from Boisedev:

Quote:
The council decides

Ultimately, the decision went to the city council members, who had an extensive back and forth.

“This is one of those places in our city that is really special. The park is a jewel. This parcel is so unique,” council president Lauren McLean said. “We need to grow our housing. We know we are many homes short. And we need to do that as close to the downtown core as possible – which means dense and up, so our residents can live near where they work.”

“This is five buildings, it provides a lot of housing,” council pro tem Elaine Clegg said. “To me it’s not the bulk but how they address Kathryn Albertson Park. I think the applicant has made a fair effort to make sure that while the buildings will be bulky they will be a little bit different type and a little bit different feel and they address the impact on the park.”

“The decision is pretty easy for me,” council member Scot Ludwig said. “I think this is the wrong project for this location. In my opinion, it has to be the existing height limitation.”

In the end, Ludwig lost to his fellow councilors. They voted 5-1 to approve the project at 70 feet, with a list of potential design adjustments.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
trapper's island was approved last fall. story from Boisedev:
Yes approved, but potentially delayed by a law suit, or so I've heard.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:56 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Yes approved, but potentially delayed by a law suit, or so I've heard.
I think there was a threat of a lawsuit from the Albertsons family who live on the bench, but the same article I quoted above shows that the meeting also discussed their concerns.

https://boisedev.com/news/2019/09/11...erfront-condos

if they do sue, I don't think they have a leg to stand on. they don't own the view, and during the meeting, the developers provided renderings that show the project would have little to no impact on their view.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
I think there was a threat of a lawsuit from the Albertsons family who live on the bench, but the same article I quoted above shows that the meeting also discussed their concerns.

https://boisedev.com/news/2019/09/11...erfront-condos

if they do sue, I don't think they have a leg to stand on. they don't own the view, and during the meeting, the developers provided renderings that show the project would have little to no impact on their view.
They did, in fact, sue:

https://boisedev.com/news/2020/03/02/trappers-island-boise-joe-scott

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 7:21 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

A sign of things to come

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 12:30 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

7 and 8, March 2020

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 2:50 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice shots. getting tough to keep track of everything.

have they started work on the parking garage at St Luke's West? I found these images that show it going along the connector:

images from Hummel Architects.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 3:47 PM

It looks like the old apartments at Belmont and Grant have been demolished (they were earlier being prepped) in advance of the new ballpark for the Boise State baseball team. We'll probably get a groundbreaking later in the spring.

I believe that Gardner's offer was selected, which IIRC involved a property swap in lieu of payment.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 4:49 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGlavin View Post
It looks like the old apartments at Belmont and Grant have been demolished (they were earlier being prepped) in advance of the new ballpark for the Boise State baseball team. We'll probably get a groundbreaking later in the spring.

I believe that Gardner's offer was selected, which IIRC involved a property swap in lieu of payment.

good to hear. the baseball team is off to a very good start. they won their last two series, and are playing solid ball. I was able to watch a couple of games online and was impressed... even against a ranked Texas team on the road, they stood toe to toe and had opportunities to win.

I hope they do a solid job on the design and have a decent seating capacity. this team could be a hot draw if they have a good year (even a .500 season would be a pleasant surprise).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 1:03 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
nice shots. getting tough to keep track of everything.

have they started work on the parking garage at St Luke's West? I found these images that show it going along the connector
Thanks! I missed a few buildings under construction but I will snatch them via my lens soon. I'm looking forward to the new apartments beginning construction on that parking lot next to The Basque Block and also the construction of The Vanguard.

I didn't notice construction on the parking garage at St. Luke's on 27th but I'm assuming it will begin soon.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Are there updated renderings? If I recall correctly, there will be two separate buildings.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 5:55 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Are there updated renderings? If I recall correctly, there will be two separate buildings.

Don posted an image yesterday on twitter; I've included it below. These projects got approved for streetscape enhancements which helps move them forward.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 2:03 AM
Let's Go Brandon!

Thanks for the updates Sawtooth. Your photography skills are quite impressive!

Quote:

images from Hummel Architects.

That large empty lot in the distance (the old Roundtree Chevrolet ) is overdue for development.

IIRC, there was a multi-use proposal a few years back. Has anyone heard anything lately?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOI-IDA View Post

That large empty lot in the distance (the old Roundtree Chevrolet ) is overdue for development.

IIRC, there was a multi-use proposal a few years back. Has anyone heard anything lately?

I mentioned that a bit in this story - and I hope to have some more news soon

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:34 PM

https://www.treefortmusicfest.com/

Travel + Leisure posted this article today... unaware of Treefort being postponed until September.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/att...al-boise-idaho

Quote:
Bummed About Coachella? The Best-kept Secret of Music Festivals Is Waiting in Idaho
The quirky Treefort Music Festival is the best way to get to know Boise, one of America's most underrated cities.

It’s a home for artists and artisans, with a quirky and enticing culture that offers something special to those who stumble upon it.
Quote:
Editor's Note: While Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and many concerts and public events have been postponed or canceled due to coronavirus concerns, Treefort Music Festival 2020 will run as scheduled from March 25-29.

https://www.treefortmusicfest.com/tr...eid=26f3563a0d

Quote:

Treefort 2020 Postponed to September

7 HOURS AGO
UPDATE! Treefort Music Fest will be postponed due to Coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns. The ninth annual festival will now take place September 23-27, 2020 in Downtown Boise, Idaho.
Quote:
We would not exist without community and unwavering support. To all our beloved sponsors, partners and vendors, please know that we care deeply about you and how this decision may impact you, and we will be reaching out as soon as we are able. To all the amazing artists that are scheduled for Treefort 2020, we know how uncertain things feel and are doing all that we can to make sure you are supported; we will reach out to you as soon as we can and we can’t wait to see you in September. To each and every person that has become part of the Treefort family over the years, we love you, we are so grateful for you and we will use the next six months to make Treefort 2020 amazing.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:50 PM

Hopefully Jaialdi is not postponed.

https://www.jaialdi.com/

Join us for Jaialdi 2020!

Quote:
Jaialdi is one of the largest Basque festivals in the world, a celebration of culture that is a gift from Boise’s Basque community to the world. Every five years, thousands of people come to Idaho from around the globe to dance, eat, sing, play music, and meet old and new friends. Check out our schedule for special events, from dance exhibitions to Sports Night to the Festara extravaganza. Don’t miss out on the fun! Jaialdi 2020 will be held July 28-August 2, and won’t happen again until 2025. Join us!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West