HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:28 PM

Modular homes (affordable housing)

Not sure if this is the right area, but since these will be more than likely in the lower city, figured why not.

This would be an ideal fix and would add a neat element to the landscape. Nice to see a creative idea from the city regarding addressing this issue.

Thoughts?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...omes-1.5737360

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:44 PM
Hamilton Historian

Great, we're now sweden lol.. ikea houses.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Great, we're now sweden lol.. ikea houses.
To be fair, those look a lot more homey than the ugly glass towers that keep going up.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 11:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
To be fair, those look a lot more homey than the ugly glass towers that keep going up.
Gonna be honest, I don't know whether to feel encouraged by that statement or depressed by it..

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Gonna be honest, I don't know whether to feel encouraged by that statement or depressed by it..
I personally northern European architecture to be very utilitarian but homey. I was watching a video about the economics of an obsession with homeownership and they had some great housing that was rental housing.

I'll link the video, users here could better their knowledge of housing policy by watching it, and it relates especially to the housing crisis and homelessness: https://youtu.be/kkVEt5tC2xU

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 11:43 PM

A new CHH report, he said, shows the cost to construct a new affordable housing unit has grown from $260,000 per unit to $475,000.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...omes-1.5737360

That's bonkers. I was recently looking at a company that does pre-fab housing and a beautiful 500 sq ft post and beam house goes for around $50,000 (unfinished).

Anyway, this is a start in the right direction...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:26 PM

While it's something, will be interesting to see how this goes.

"The money comes from the federal government's $1 billion rapid housing initiative, which gives funds to municipalities to build around 3,000 new permanent, affordable housing units across the country.

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) will deliver the money under the national housing strategy. The city has about a year to build the units after the agreement is signed.

Hamilton hasn't started its procurement process, but Collins said staff estimate each unit might cost around $330,000 to $340,000 to purchase and construct.

This means just over 30 units for Hamilton, he said."

City gets $10.8M for affordable housing units, but it has to build them fast

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:32 AM

^I dunno, that just seems like an outrageous amount of money to spend on 'affordable' housing.

I'm just not sure how this model works. Purchase dozens of houses for, what appears to be, an exorbitant amount of tax payer dollars, then rent at some under-market rate, and then basically bleed money until the homes fall apart?

Any entrepreneurs in this forum? Does this make sense? Are there no examples from other countries we could adopt? Am I missing something?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton