HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 6:43 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Here's an update, some early 20th century residential lowrises:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 12:58 AM
FUS RO DAH!

do you manually create the reflection maps for these huge façades or its actually like 2-3 different window textures (and their respective opacity maps) and you just repeat those textures? (if you set the model to wireframe or non-textured faces, you would see a lot of divisions instead of a single face)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor View Post
do you manually create the reflection maps for these huge façades or its actually like 2-3 different window textures (and their respective opacity maps) and you just repeat those textures? (if you set the model to wireframe or non-textured faces, you would see a lot of divisions instead of a single face)
I usually try to use textures that cover the whole facade and then make one reflection map for that texture. Ideally there would be one face per one building side, but naturally that's not always possible - especially with older buildings which need cornices etc.

An update: The LakeView Place is a 25-story, 98 meters / 322 feet tall residential building completed in 2010. With good views towards Lake Ontario, it's apartments are among the most expensive in Bourne. It is the 9th tallest building in Bourne.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 11:22 AM

I have follwed your progress for some time, well what can I say, it's just fantastic!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:33 AM

totally agree, fantastic!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 9:27 PM
Editor

Amazing.

I'm glad you are still working on Bourne your textures are making me drool!

Makes me wanna start up Staunton again but god knows if that'll ever happen...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 6:43 PM

Thanks for the comments! And Patrick, I really, really hope that someday I will see the return of Staunton. If not this year or the next, then maybe next decade. I won't lose hope

Here's an update: The Imperial is the tallest all-residential building in Bourne with the height of 105 meters / 344 feet. It was built in 2007 and has 27 stories. It is the 7th tallest building in Bourne altogether.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 6:29 PM

Looking northwest over West Van Buren Avenue. There's four buildings over 100 meters in view, from left to right: The Imperial, 105 meters / 344 feet; Cambridge Place 135 m / 443 ft; ABA Building 113 m / 371 ft; and New York Building, 127 m / 417 ft.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 7:24 PM

every update is amazing, great pic!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 8:26 PM
Editor

Vellu, Bourne is an absolutely beautiful work of art, in my opinion, the most realistic city here. The switch to photo textures was a great idea, your lowrise area is making me drool! I'm glad your still working on this wonderful city, you've got one hell of an eye for detail and realism. Honestly if it wasn't for Bourne I probably wouldn't have recently gotten back into Staunton! I have been keeping up with Bourne during my absence from the forum and every time I saw a new update I thought to myself "damn this really makes me want to open up sketchup". I will be watching out for the next update.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 7:14 PM

Hot damn this is incredible....

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 6:39 PM

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! They are truly motivating. I'm on a short break (in terms of Bourne breaks ) at the moment, since I have to use my very limited spare time for something else, but I'm very motivated to continue with Bourne as soon as I can.

I agree with you, Patrick, that switch to photo textures was a good idea; Bourne looks a lot better with them. The downside is that finding the photos and editing them to textures takes a lot of time. Detail and realism is also what I love, although I can't take all the credit from Bourne looking realistic. I'm using a real city's layout for the streets and mostly for the zoning also. It would be interesting to design them as well, but I'm saving time this way and can focus more on the buildings themselves. Btw. I guess CGII has been only one so far who has figured out what city's layout I'm using.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 7:26 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

If I were to put simple grey boxes in equal number to your buildings I think I'd run a high risk of my sketchup crashing. Wow.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 10:15 PM

Your city is really cool! How big are you going to make it?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 12:58 AM
Editor

Is Bourne close to completion? It seems like the city is almost built out. Have you thought of starting a new city because as much as I love Bourne, I really enjoyed Rocane for it's skyscrapers!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 9:58 AM

The lower level shots of Bourne are particularly successful, very realistic. You've mastered the texturing process really well. I was thinking the same as Patrick - where do you go from here once those final blocks are updated?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 7:13 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Is Bourne close to completion? It seems like the city is almost built out. Have you thought of starting a new city because as much as I love Bourne, I really enjoyed Rocane for it's skyscrapers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyao View Post
I was thinking the same as Patrick - where do you go from here once those final blocks are updated?
I'm not quite sure. What you see here and what I have almost fully re-textured is only about a fifth of what I had originally planned for Bourne. I'm also still liking Bourne very much, so continuing with Bourne to sections 3 and beyond is a valid option.

On the other hand, for many years I have been wanting to model a fictional Finnish city (with highrises), but I'm trying to restrain myself from starting a new city. First of all, I don't have a lot of time to give it, so it might get frustrating, and secondly, I don't know if it's wise to start a new city until I get a new computer. My current computer is quite old - in terms of computers, nearly five years - so I might get a new one in a year or two. And if I don't get SketchUp and Kerkythea to work on a Windows 8 machine they're selling these days, then I would lose some or all of the work I did, if I had to start using different software. So we'll see what will happen. I will finish re-texturing this section of Bourne nevertheless.

And finally, to the update part.

The most expensive apartment buildings in Bourne are the ones with the views on Lake Ontario. Park Plaza Aparments is no exception, even with it's bland looks. The 21-story, 79 m / 259 ft tall building was completed in 1969.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 12:04 PM

Absolutely beautiful. This city is a masterpiece.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 5:52 AM
Editor

Looks great Vellu! I really admire the detail you put into the rooftops.

I feel your pain, Staunton used to be so difficult and laggy before I switched to Mac. Sketchup and Kerkythea run beautifully on a Mac so I strongly recommend making the switch whenever you decide to get a new computer!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2013, 6:50 PM

Its a conundrum for sure. Personally I would have to finish Bourne in its present form at least the textures, then I'd play about with rendering the finished model and use this as a good example of what you can do for your portfolio. Whether you decide to expand Bourne is up to you, I know its tempting, but if this is only a fifth of the finished size then thats a hell of a commitment.

Anyway its nice to see Bourne near completion even if its only the central portion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup