HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 5:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that a building like CIBC looks better with a taller building in behind. The CCA addition should have interesting cladding as well and hopefully the styles will be complementary. One of my favourite aspects of Halifax is its mix of architecture and the fact that it has some intensively-developed areas that have lots of fine-grained buildings carefully packed in. The mix gives the city a lot more visual interest plus, I think, makes it busier because it supports a lot of different uses in a small area. It's the opposite of the ugly suburban strip mall, which is one bland type of use plus one bland visual style. Another bad model is the mega-development style where a square kilometre of city is bulldozed and then covered with glass towers. That happens a lot in cities like Toronto and can result in "vertical suburbs".

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 4:20 AM

Some pics by me today
* You can also see the back of the new TD bank building with blue wrapping.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 3:40 PM

Birds eye view

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:15 PM
Honored Member

Great picture!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:26 PM

Thats a great photo. I took some today, but not nearly that good!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post

Birds eye view
YES! Awesome shot!!

How'd you capture this? Are you zooming in via Fenwick Place?

And...from behind the hill, the Citadel Hotel redevelopment will look nice from this angle

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 12:18 AM
You talkin' to me?

^^ You can also see a great view of the new bank building going up on spring garden in that shot.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 1:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, that's a lot of construction in a small area of only a dozen blocks or so. The library and Clyde Street lots are really going to bring this all together and make it a consistent medium-density district connected to the downtown. In the past it was more of a small-scale neighbourhood type retail strip similar to what the southern end of Barrington is like today.

There's also been a lot of new growth around the Dal/Hospitals area. Victoria Park is now surrounded by major buildings. University Ave has a more institutional feel but nevertheless it's becoming part of a much larger and more consistent urban core. Halifax losing its small town feel of the past, where there were small pockets of commercial activity surrounded by parking lots and little houses.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 2:10 AM

It`s almost as if all of the peninsula is becoming Halifax`s downtown.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 2:11 AM

Justin's photo is impressive - shows both the TD building and City Centre. But it really gives you a perspective of how commanding the hill is as a presence in downtown. I can't wait for the hotel redevelopment; that will be good. Can't wait to see how the parking lots would add to this area...it will be a much busier area.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 2:38 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Halifax would be a great city if there were another 30,000 or so people on the peninsula. It would be more vibrant, there would be more businesses (stuff like downtown Best Buy -- no Dartmouth Crossing needed), lots of streetscapes would look better, and the city would save tons of money compared to what they'd have to spend to service new suburban or exurban areas. It would be an obvious choice at that point to have an inner-city streetcar network, which would make it a lot easier and more comfortable to get around without a car. Increased residential infill is something that would make the whole metropolitan area function better.

The City Centre addition will have about 150 residents, so imagine about 200 similar buildings distributed around the peninsula. Of course, some areas would have highrises, some would only be townhouses. Some areas like Windsor Park would be almost totally redeveloped (similar to Gladstone) while others would just get a new building or two.

This is not so far-fetched. I would not be surprised if we already saw an increase of 5,000 or more on the peninsula during the last 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 3:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
An exciting prospect, my friend. This is partly why I'm of the opinion that we're all very fortunate to witness Halifax's growth spurt, further fuelled by the shipbuilding contract.

We're impressed now, but we should be seeing an interesting domino effect of developments in the coming years.

I wonder, though, if any part of the northern peninsula were to develop, if that would be considered part of the downtown? I'm enthusiastic about developments that break character with traditional Halifax. Whereas the downtown is a blend of the old and new, structurally communal height wise in respect of the Citadel and the city's heritage--areas away from the downtown, including the peninsula's north end, may host developments that we'd never see nor desire to have in our downtown.

The north end is ripe'n'ready.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post

I wonder, though, if any part of the northern peninsula were to develop, if that would be considered part of the downtown? I'm enthusiastic about developments that break character with traditional Halifax. Whereas the downtown is a blend of the old and new, structurally communal height wise in respect of the Citadel and the city's heritage--areas away from the downtown, including the peninsula's north end, may host developments that we'd never see nor desire to have in our downtown.

The north end is ripe'n'ready.
Once the cogswell interchange is brought down, and the area is cleaned up and developed a bit, that hole area will feel like downtown. Just like how the spring garden and university areas feel now.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 4:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Once the cogswell interchange is brought down, and the area is cleaned up and developed a bit, that hole area will feel like downtown. Just like how the spring garden and university areas feel now.
Do you believe the cogswell interchange will change soon? I'm doubtful. When it comes to transit issue this city kicks the can down the road, which often has potholes.

I agree with you that Dalhousie and SMU will soon feel much more incorporated into the downtown.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Do you believe the cogswell interchange will change soon? I'm doubtful. When it comes to transit issue this city kicks the can down the road, which often has potholes.

I agree with you that Dalhousie and SMU will soon feel much more incorporated into the downtown.
I remember council doing some kind of study or at least talking about it. But as we know everything that council tries too do that is of any importance takes a few years...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 6:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I remember council doing some kind of study or at least talking about it. But as we know everything that council tries too do that is of any importance takes a few years...
Hopefully this will improve somewhat when the size of regional council is reduced after the next election.

Cogswell has been "any year now" since about the late 90s, which I think is when they commissioned a study that produced road alignments to replace the interchange. In a way it might be positive that they waited since the quality of new development and urban design in Halifax has gone up significantly since that period. Here is a good recent article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...l-repairs.html

Not sure if the RFP actually did go out.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 3:30 PM

I'd like to see some condo development in the area behind the new TD building. Some nice 5-7 story buildings would fit in quite nicely on that street.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
I'd like to see some condo development in the area behind the new TD building. Some nice 5-7 story buildings would fit in quite nicely on that street.
What! Between the I. H. Mathers building and all of the renovated row houses on the block, this block is one of the most interesting areas in the city.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 10:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hopefully this will improve somewhat when the size of regional council is reduced after the next election.

Cogswell has been "any year now" since about the late 90s, which I think is when they commissioned a study that produced road alignments to replace the interchange. In a way it might be positive that they waited since the quality of new development and urban design in Halifax has gone up significantly since that period. Here is a good recent article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...l-repairs.html

Not sure if the RFP actually did go out.
When the city actually gets around to doing something about the Cogswell Interchange, I will be very interested in seeing how traffic flow will be affected. It almost makes me nervous...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 12:33 AM

From Friday :

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth