HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:22 AM

There is an interesting article in the Seattle Post today concerning the Air Force Tanker controversy. Arguably the most prominent military analyst today, Loren Thompson, who also wrote a few weeks ago that there were problems with the original bidding, is quoted as opining that, although the Air Force likely would rebid the contract, "[t]here is a real likelihood that Northrop and EADS will come back again and prevail. Boeing has won this round, but the war goes on." Another analyst confirmed that the GAO ruling "does not guarantee Boeing a victory. It is still an uphill battle, but it does get Boeing back into the batter's box." So, to reiterate what others on this forum have stated, Mobile and EADS are still in this competition, and may ultimately prevail on the merits. Incidentally, the article also provides a useful comparison between the two planes (showing the differences in costs, size, fuel capacity, number of passengers that can be carried, etc.). Be warned, however, that the article also contains statements from Washington and Kansas's congressional delegations, so you will have to read about all of the gloating there.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._tanker19.html

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:36 AM

To reiterate Muskavon's point in an earlier post, the Planning Commission is meeting today to vote on the proposed zoning ordinance submitted by the Village of Springhill. The meeting is set for 2:00 in the Government Plaza.

Some of the property owners are still voicing opposition to it, and unless the on-the-street parking requirement passes, the building where the CVS is set to be built may not build according to the ordinance. This, in turn, may ruin all that the Village is attempting to accomplish. Also, a multi-million dollar development -- that is going to be built according to the proposed zoning ordinance -- is set to begin if the ordinance passes. So, please try to attend today's meeting and show your support!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 1:42 PM
Closed account

The story was here on New 2 Louisiana last night, they had more positive things to say then Mob town news cast. I believe that this will go through, just another bump in the road.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:00 PM

Hey I don't think the tanker will come here. sorry to be so down about it. The politics are just against it now. the only way I see it is if there is a split contract. but now, I do think Airbus wants to get into the dollar zone really bad and it has such a good relationship with alabama and Mobile.I think we could see a A330 line here in the future. They are already preparing the A330 line in france to do other aircraft work.

by the way Riley and Sam Jones said that the incentive package is still open to them. it is based on the number of jobs.....not on getting the contract. and if they open a A330 line here before the new contract is award....guess what....by american government standards airbus would be an AMERICAN MANUFACTURER (well at least according to trade court rulings). hey that can help get some of the noise off NG-EADS's back.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 3:40 PM
Closed account

Outlook Remains Optimistic
We respect the GAO’s work in analyzing the Air Force's tanker acquisition process. We continue to believe that Northrop Grumman offered the most modern and capable tanker for our men and women in uniform.

Our outlook is still positive. Mobile County will continue to move forward to build the best plane for our servicemen and women. We are confident that ultimately the KC-45 will be built in Mobile.

The support for this project has been overwhelming. It’s been heartwarming to see the community spirit and excitement generated by the KC-45 project. More than 20,000 of you have signed the petition on this website in support of the KC-45.

Our delegation on Capitol Hill has diligently defended the KC-45. Led by Senators Richard Shelby and Jeff Sessions and Representatives Jo Bonner and Jeff Miller, our congressional team has been spreading the truth about the KC-45 – that it will not send jobs overseas but will be built in Mobile and supported by 230 suppliers in 49 states, generating 48,000 American jobs.

In addition, dozens of local governmental bodies and leaders have signed resolutions of support for the KC-45 (click here for full list). We have received support from virtually every county, city, and chamber of commerce in Lower Alabama, Northwest Florida and Coastal Mississippi. All along the Gulf Coast realize that the KC-45 project will create an aerospace corridor benefiting the entire region.

We must continue our vigilant defense of the KC-45. The selection process has been the most fair and transparent in U.S. history. Any further delay harms both the American taxpayer and the American war fighter.
We encourage people to reach out to their representatives in Congress and to continue to visit www.keepourtanker.com to stay engaged and informed.

Thank you for your support.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 4:35 PM
Closed account

http://www.nbc15online.com/news/loca...b-ba5270eb20ef

(MOBILE, Ala.) June 19 -- Race tracks, shopping, restaurants, it's all coming to north Mobile County.

The Dale Earnhardt Junior Speedway will be the centerpiece of this proposed facility.

Thursday night you can learn more about it during an informal open house.

The public will get a chance to view the site plans for the $24 million motorsports and entertainment complex.

The open house starts at 7 p.m. at the Saraland Civic Center

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:10 PM
Mobile, Alabama

So feed up with Boeing's bullsh*t!

I still believe the contract is ours...just when and how long. Boeing has now destroyed a good relationship with the Airforce for prolonging this contract. The GAO's decision in Boeing favor doesn't change what the Airforce wants and that is the KC-45 that Airbus has to offer. I don't expect this to last very long seeing the aircraft have already been evaluated...possibly before the year's end but no more than 8 months. I don't think Boeing has time to submit another plane nor will the Airforce allow them the opportunity to do so. No need to worry because Mobile will keep on pushing with the commitment of EADS in the community.

In other news, Waterstreet Landing is officially dead.

Mobile riverfront condo project dead
Posted by By Kathy Jumper, Real Estate Editor June 19, 2008 9:37 AM

The planned 241-unit Water Street Landing condominium and retail project at the foot of Government Street has been canceled, and the L.A.-based owners of the property have put it up for sale, according to local attorneys and Realtors.

The 1.6 acres is listed for $2.25 million, according Grubb & Ellis/Peebles & Cameron. Millennium LLC purchased it for $1.8 million about two years ago from CSX.

"We have had some interest from hotel developers,'' John Peebles said. The owners tore down an old CSX office after removing the asbestos in the building, he said. "We're optimistic it will sell.''

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:14 PM
Closed account

Well, this could be a good thing, maybe someone else could design a better looking building.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:41 PM

Waterfront amphitheater anyone? Come on! We don't need a huge condo RIGHT on the waterfront! Might as well put up a huge cinder block wall between downtown and the water. Anyone who has that money for a condo will buy one 2 blocks from the water anyways. Make the waterfront for the public. Make the green space next to the Exploreum mixed use retail/park. A 100% park right on Govt St? Way too dangerous! Come on Mobile, let's get this right!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:51 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Tim) View Post
We must continue our vigilant defense of the KC-45. The selection process has been the most fair and transparent in U.S. history. Any further delay harms both the American taxpayer and the American war fighter.
We encourage people to reach out to their representatives in Congress and to continue to visit www.keepourtanker.com to stay engaged and informed.

Thank you for your support.
The GAO found the idea that the process was fair and transparent to be contrary to fact. The main reason EADS got the contract was political obligation and a vendetta on the part of several big name lobbyists (currently being retained by a certain candidate). The viability of the plane had no bearing in this since Boeing's most recent board was shady and irresponsible to the point of near-criminal proportions. Of course, I ultimately would love to see the contract going to a more economic depressed area and it would certainly be a benefit to the gulf region, but that does not change that the whole process was a sham.

NG-EADS need to go back and do this right. If they indeed have the right plane (regardless of it being unsuited for most combat and landing situations without certain accomodation), then this should be a cakewalk.

Boeing has changed dramatically since it moved from humble roots in the PacNW to Chicago power-brokering. Although Boeing's tanker was the only truly American tanker in the running, it was certainly not being promoted by principled people.

I think this new Airbus plane will give the Europeans a fabulous in to American business and will make Mobile a place where it isn't all about "Made in the USA" but rather "Made with Pride".

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 5:52 PM
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyapp View Post
Waterfront amphitheater anyone? Come on! We don't need a huge condo RIGHT on the waterfront! Might as well put up a huge cinder block wall between downtown and the water. Anyone who has that money for a condo will buy one 2 blocks from the water anyways. Make the waterfront for the public. Make the green space next to the Exploreum mixed use retail/park. A 100% park right on Govt St? Way too dangerous! Come on Mobile, let's get this right!
I like the idea of having public space on the waterfront, but who's gonna pay $2.2million and not make any money back for it? If they put anything there, I agree, lets make sure it looks better than Waterstreet Landing did...That just looked like an uglier version of the condos down at the Gulf!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 7:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileLSUboy2005 View Post
I like the idea of having public space on the waterfront, but who's gonna pay $2.2million and not make any money back for it? If they put anything there, I agree, lets make sure it looks better than Waterstreet Landing did...That just looked like an uglier version of the condos down at the Gulf!
I would love to have a public space on the waterfront, something like a pier and shops and restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:12 AM

If Boeing loses again and then they protest again, this contract could take 2 more years to even break ground, costing taxpayers millions more, and possibly even taking lives. I think the Air Force should ignore the GAO recomendations and procede with the contract. Yes the funding will probably get revoked, but you dont know unless you try. If it does, THEN re-bid the contract. But I dont know... thats just my opinion

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:28 AM
Transport Planner

What infuriates me the most about the whole tanker contract is the fact that it seems that they're just screaming "unfair" and trying to find ANYTHING to prove that they are right. It's a sad day when one company can bully another just because it is naturalized. I mean it's easy to argue that it's dangerous to use military aircraft built by a foreign company, but when it comes down to it, when a war is being fought, it's for the welfare of EVERYONE anyways. I mean look where we are now. In Iraq, I'm not going to go into this here...but if WE weren't there who would be? And I mean IT'S JUST FRANCE for crying out loud! Jeeze Boeing grow up!
And what ANGERS me the most is that this is not the FREAKING first time this happened! Remember when Boeing got in trouble a few years ago...? It was because they had someone on the inside leaking information about Airbus to win the KC-767 tankers! They are a company that will resort to ANYTHING to get their way.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:06 AM
Bears of antiquity

It's the GAO. They NEVER EVER take the side of companies protesting against government entities.

If you'd just read the docs, you'd see.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:36 AM

I think the GAO is just telling the Air Force to look over the proposals one more time to make sure they have the right plane because of the cost difference. Really no harm done if the Air Force just sticks with it. The longer it takes to make another decision, the longer it will take to get their planes in the air.

Last edited by Scottybo; Jun 20, 2008 at 7:00 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 1:23 PM

here is an email i got yesterday morning that i think is interesting. i took the day off or i would have posted it then..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Celebrate Mobile [mailto:newsletter@cityofmobile.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:12 AM
To: Jimmy Lyons
Subject: Show Your Support!

Show Your Support for Mobile!

Greetings!

So many of you have asked, "What can I do to help Mobile keep the Air Force Refueling Tanker Contract?" The answer is simple: Show your support for Northrop Grumman and the local, state and federal leaders who are fighting hard to keep the tanker projects and the American jobs that come with it. Two ways to do that are by participating in the Celebrate Mobile events on June 19 & 20.

On Thursday, June 19 at 7 p.m., there will be a Mobile In Motion performance at the Saenger Theatre (6 S. Joachim Street). Mobile In Motion is a thrilling dance troupe that performs routines about the prosperity that Mobile has enjoyed recently. It also showcases other things that make our city great such as Mardi Gras, BayFest, AfricaTown, Mobile Bay, Bellingrath Gardens, and much more. Tickets are still available at the Saenger Box Office and in the Mayor's Office on the 10th Floor of Government Plaza.

Then on Friday, June 20, the Celebrate Mobile parade will roll through the streets of downtown. The parade starts at 6:30 p.m. A parade map and route description are below. We want to show the world that our City supports the businesses that have decided to call Mobile home. Elected officials and industry leaders will join several carnival associations for our city's first-ever June Mardi Gras Parade. We encourage you to make signs showing your support for Mobile, Northrop Grumman and the rest of our corporate citizens.

Thank you for showing support for our great city, and I look forward to seeing you at these two wonderful events.

Sincerely,

Samuel L. Jones
Mayor

Parade Route

Friday, June 20 - 6:30 p.m.
The parade will start at Canal and Claiborne and travel west on Canal. It will then turn up Washington and head east down Government. From there, it will turn north at Conception, east on St. Francis and then south on Royal. It will end by heading west on Church then south past the Civic Center on Claiborne.

WHAT IT MEANS TO US

1,500 direct jobs in the Mobile, Alabama area

48,000 jobs nationwide

49 states seeing work from the deal

179 new tankers to be built at Brookley Field in Mobile

Forward email
This email was sent to jlyons@asdd.com, by newsletter@cityofmobile.org
City of Mobile Alabama | rr | mobile | AL | 36602

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 251 View Post
If Boeing loses again and then they protest again, this contract could take 2 more years to even break ground, costing taxpayers millions more, and possibly even taking lives.
... and the DRAMA award goes to...

I think some on this forum have not really read the GAO report. The report does a pretty good job of explaining why the selection process was flawed; NOT THE PLANE THAT WAS SELECTED.

I am not happy that this has happened to Mobile. I love this state and want all of us to flourish. But at the same time, I do not want a contract of this magnitude handed to Airbus just because the selection process appears to have been tailored to their product.

This is definetly going to be an interesting story to follow and one that politics is going to play a MAJOR role in... Please keep your seatbelts fastened!!!

Last edited by OCA REP; Jun 20, 2008 at 2:56 PM. Reason: spelling: faulty keyboard... ;-)

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 2:52 PM
surely you're not serious

I think Mobile will get an Airbus factory at some point.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 2:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
The GAO found the idea that the process was fair and transparent to be contrary to fact. The main reason EADS got the contract was political obligation and a vendetta on the part of several big name lobbyists (currently being retained by a certain candidate). The viability of the plane had no bearing in this since Boeing's most recent board was shady and irresponsible to the point of near-criminal proportions. Of course, I ultimately would love to see the contract going to a more economic depressed area and it would certainly be a benefit to the gulf region, but that does not change that the whole process was a sham.

NG-EADS need to go back and do this right. If they indeed have the right plane (regardless of it being unsuited for most combat and landing situations without certain accomodation), then this should be a cakewalk.

Boeing has changed dramatically since it moved from humble roots in the PacNW to Chicago power-brokering. Although Boeing's tanker was the only truly American tanker in the running, it was certainly not being promoted by principled people.

I think this new Airbus plane will give the Europeans a fabulous in to American business and will make Mobile a place where it isn't all about "Made in the USA" but rather "Made with Pride".
OK, I understand your side, however Mobile is not an economic depressed area. The only reason change had not taken place in the past decade is that most people of Mobile did not want it. Mobile is a wealthy city, if you have never been to Mobile you would not know it. Keep your uneducated comments to yourself!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast