HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
I wonder what the drainage is like? it looks like everything would drain to the center in a rain storm
It's right beside a river so it would be fairly straightforward.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I wonder what the drainage is like? it looks like everything would drain to the center in a rain storm
Unlike the maroons who designed Sky dome, zee German Civil Engineers would have taken into account that it rains and you have to deal with water!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:04 PM

HKS designed Apogee Stadium in Texas. It has 31,000 seats and was completed in 2011 for $78 million! I realize our construction costs are way higher, but imagine what we could get for triple that amount.

http://www.hksinc.com/places/univers...pogee-stadium/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
HKS designed Apogee Stadium in Texas. It has 31,000 seats and was completed in 2011 for $78 million! I realize our construction costs are way higher, but imagine what we could get for triple that amount.

http://www.hksinc.com/places/univers...pogee-stadium/
Also notice in the far endzone "Mean Green"

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:17 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it doesn't have a roof. May explain the budget. Actually, it would explain the budget - a lot.

In all honesty, you guys need to be looking at what quality level of Stadium Winnipeg ended up with. Take the total Winnipeg construction cost at the year the contract was signed. Add about 5% for annual construction inflation, to get to 2014 dollars.

I don't think the budgets between the two projects are that far off in 2014 dollars. And what ever difference there is, will allow you to get a handle on how much *more* extravagant the Regina stadium will be versus Winnipeg.

Last edited by drew; Mar 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ it doesn't have a roof. May explain the budget. Actually, it would explain the budget - a lot.

In all honesty, you guys need to be looking at what quality level of Stadium Winnipeg ended up with. Take the total Winnipeg construction cost at the year the contract was signed. Add about 5% for annual construction inflation, to get to 2014 dollars.

I don't think the budgets between the two projects are that far off in 2014 dollars. And what ever difference there is, will allow you to get a handle on how much *more* extravagant the Regina stadium will be versus Winnipeg.
At that inflation it was $224,910,000 in 2014 dollars. Now we have a budget minus site work of $250,000,000 so little over $25,000,000 more extravagant. $25M is a lot of money, but not really when in this case.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:53 PM

Quote:

actually the construction cost index has been holding steady at an annual escalation rate of 2.4%

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
At that inflation it was $224,910,000 in 2014 dollars. Now we have a budget minus site work of $250,000,000 so little over $25,000,000 more extravagant. $25M is a lot of money, but not really when in this case.
Where did you get that $25 million figure and does not every stadium have site work?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Where did you get that $25 million figure and does not every stadium have site work?
Yes everyone does, and I read it in today's CBC's article.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:12 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Yes everyone does, and I read it in today's CBC's article.
The prep you are mentioning better also include digging the hole and everything because $25 mill for what was done would be highway robbery.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The prep you are mentioning better also include digging the hole and everything because $25 mill for what was done would be highway robbery.
I would certainly hope so as well. The first stuff they have done should be well under $1M

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 9:32 PM

at an annual construction cost index of 2.4%
70 million more would be spent on the Regina stadium.
there's really gonna be no comparison between the two.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
at an annual construction cost index of 2.4%
70 million more would be spent on the Regina stadium.
there's really gonna be no comparison between the two.
Winnipeg's actual cost was $204 million.

In any event the comparison is still there. Climate, seating, roof, location, etc. etc.

There is no need to compare and wonder the budgets of European Stadiums or American NFL/college stadiums when your best comparison (like it or not) is several hundred kilometres down the road.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM

I agree with Drew. I think Regina's stadium is going to be very similar to IGF, which is not a bad thing at all but with a better roof system which is a good thing. Can't wait to see it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:

In any event the comparison is still there. Climate, seating, roof, location, etc. etc.

There is no need to compare and wonder the budgets of European Stadiums or American NFL/college stadiums when your best comparison (like it or not) is several hundred kilometres down the road.
OK buddy you win.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 11:55 PM

I agree that IGF is the best comparison. Regina's will be a little better, but similar. Regina has the advantage of a somewhat higher budget, a more experienced design team and the latest technologies and designs (it will be 5 years newer).

BTW I have been to IGF and it is fantastic IMO.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 1:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:

What is the actual cost of the Regina stadium going to be after it's completed? Remember that the $278M price tag does not include the millions the Riders are going to invest in leasehold improvements. Add to that our architect is actually a stadium designer and will be able to deliver the best bang for our buck. IGF is a great stadium but will be a 2010 Ford Fusion compared to Regina's 2014 Audi A4. Both similar cars yet very different.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 3:08 AM

Is IGF good with wind? Does the design mitigate winds sweeping through from one end zone to the next? Maybe the peg doesn't have the wind issues we have but that has to be the most annoying thing about Taylor Field. Address the wind, no blind spots, and somewhat of a roof and whatever gets built will be just fine.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Is IGF good with wind? Does the design mitigate winds sweeping through from one end zone to the next? Maybe the peg doesn't have the wind issues we have but that has to be the most annoying thing about Taylor Field. Address the wind, no blind spots, and somewhat of a roof and whatever gets built will be just fine.
Cupholders. That's pretty much the only thing that matters.

I kid...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 3:35 PM
BANNED

If the rumours are true about the Feds funding $10M towards the BMO Field reno are true, there are going to be some right pissed off people in Sask.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan