HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 3:56 PM
loafing in lotusland

It's funny, when you think about it... because if you hold by the old stand-by that political parties rarely keep their promises... everything the opposition says they would vote against, they would actually be for.

The Other party ends up just like the ruling party in time. They'll oppose whatever the ruling party do, and then when they get in power, do exactly the same.

I wouldn't put much power behind what the talking heads say on camera. It doesn't really mean anything.

On this issue, I really don't know what income tax cuts are going to do for the lower income earners. It just sounds like a way to reduce taxes for the top-tier of income earners... and thus further increasing the gap between the wealthy and the poor.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:45 PM

I would rather a cut to income taxes than a cut to the HST. Income taxes are more static; you can pay less consumptive taxes by consuming less. (e.g., don't buy an acura, get a honda to pay less tax.)

Victoria can always look at adjusting the HST rebate if low-income (not middle class) impacts are a concern..

and if anything, high income earners are taxed less in other provinces than in BC. AB has a 10% flat tax. ON's top tax rate is 11.6% over $74K income. BC's top rate is 14.7% above $100K.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/f...tml#provincial

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 5:20 PM

^^^^^^^ Agreed.

Interesting to see on that chart, our main competition being Alberta and Ontario, BC looks pretty damn good next to them.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 6:40 PM
Vancouver User

Agreed... consumption taxes are by far the way to go. And they'll put those rich people in their place. lol.

But seriously, the income tax cut was silly. Definitely a move to appease the people. But he should have announced an associated HST increase with the tax cut.

Though the revolution would have started immediately. Treehuggers, families, and seniors taking up arms.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics