HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
^^^Thanks Harry! I don't think that lot is too small though. It's bigger than the small lot north of Millennium Park Plaza (formerly Doral Apartments) where a tower is planned.
Hi Chicago Forever, can you tell me where the lot is where the tower is being planned? Is it the lot where the Oriental Hotel was supposed to be built?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 10:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Hi Chicago Forever, can you tell me where the lot is where the tower is being planned? Is it the lot where the Oriental Hotel was supposed to be built?
^ I don't recall him saying any tower was planned

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 10:31 PM
The City

Quote:
My apologies if this has been posted already (I looked but didnt see it), but I just found this:

http://southportcorridorchicago.blogspot.com/

This is good news, I dont really care for the way the new building looks, but at least it hugs the corner and the street appropriately.
Really good to see, that lot and the lot north of it need to be developed in this fashion. I'd prefer multilevel, but storefronts along the sidewalk will do..

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I don't recall him saying any tower was planned
He said it here:

Thanks Harry! I don't think that lot is too small though. It's bigger than the small lot north of Millennium Park Plaza (formerly Doral Apartments) where a tower is planned.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Really good to see, that lot and the lot north of it need to be developed in this fashion. I'd prefer multilevel, but storefronts along the sidewalk will do..
Agreed, not sure why they are not opting for mutli-level with apartments above...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
He said it here:

Thanks Harry! I don't think that lot is too small though. It's bigger than the small lot north of Millennium Park Plaza (formerly Doral Apartments) where a tower is planned.
It took me all of 10 seconds to find it on Google.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=401

Dont be so lazy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
It took me all of 10 seconds to find it on Google.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=401

Dont be so lazy.
Wait - what??

I wasn't being lazy, I was trying to figure out exactly which lot he was referring to - the one immediately (at the corner of Lake and Stetson) NORTH of Doral Apartments (which is where the Oriental was proposed), or the one that is literally at the corner of Michigan and Randolph (which by the way, is SOUTH, not NORTH, of the Doral)...which is currently held by a small, ugly geodesic dome-like structure.

Thanks for the link, but I just wanted some clarification as to what he was referring to....cut me some slack!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 11:59 PM

Agreed -- I don't know who Link N. Parker is, but I think we're being a little tough on the guy!

Besides, I heard he has some big wingmen named Grant and Central Parker who'll be waiting for us in the alley if we don't let up a bit

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 12:12 AM

Yeah, my fault as I meant to say south instead of north. Many on here knew which lot I was referring to though. Anyway, thanks for posting the link to the rendering, untiltedreality. I really liked that design and wonder if it's still in play or if we'll get something else when the lot is eventually developed.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
Agreed -- I don't know who Link N. Parker is, but I think we're being a little tough on the guy!

Besides, I heard he has some big wingmen named Grant and Central Parker who'll be waiting for us in the alley if we don't let up a bit
Yes! I have several brothers...Grant Parker is more tame, but my other brother, Wick R. Parker, is a really wicked guy...watch out for him!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
Yeah, my fault as I meant to say south instead of north. Many on here knew which lot I was referring to though. Anyway, thanks for posting the link to the rendering, untiltedreality. I really liked that design and wonder if it's still in play or if we'll get something else when the lot is eventually developed.
No problem, thanks for the info! Cheers!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 9:47 AM

^^ And let's keep quiet about your one brother in jail, Val A. Parker!
(Referring to last week's Tribune article about busting valet companies who use their own computers to print out counterfeit street parking dashboard receipts when parking customer cars.)

----------------

Weed street creeps along: There are 3 large parcels on Weed Street that are still moving but incredibly slowly. The Chase branch building looks nearly done; the multifloor retail building at Sheffield still looks like it's a ways off; and the southwest corner at Fremont has a couple rigs for soil testing or drilling or something working there, perhaps finally kicking off now that the tundra is more like midwestern soil again.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 1:29 PM
The City

^ So did they decide to go with a more urban design or are we looking at shit-for-nothing strip centers with surface parking here?

I haven't been to Weed St in ages. Looks like Zentra and Crobar are still around, which is amazing because I went to those places in 2002. It's rare for nightclubs to be around for that long. I wonder if all of this encroaching commercial development will eventually force them to leave...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 2:33 PM

Fulton Market

Jan 21

Feb 13

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 2:38 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Looks extremely cool and modern all defenestrated like that.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 5:34 PM

Man, that must have been some SERIOUS water damage for them to have to completely remove and rebuild the entire corner columns like that. I thought maybe they were removing the corner columns permanently to allow for open corner views. I wonder if the nature of the building's use (cold storage) aggravated the normal freeze-thaw cycle's effects?

This is the kind of thing that developers dread when looking at adaptive reuse. A lot of buildings get torn down because developers are afraid they are going to peal back the surface and find an unpleasant surprise like this. Luckily for Sterling Bay, their project is awesome enough and in high enough demand that their profroma will probably be relatively unaffected by this setback.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This is the kind of thing that developers dread when looking at adaptive reuse. A lot of buildings get torn down because developers are afraid they are going to peal back the surface and find an unpleasant surprise like this. Luckily for Sterling Bay, their project is awesome enough and in high enough demand that their profroma will probably be relatively unaffected by this setback.
^ Good God yes. It's even more scary when you're a novice developer and you aren't building an office for Google....

For small time folks you are generally safe if the floors are straight, there are no weird moldy smells, and the building is masonry. But even then, there are always surprises...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I haven't been to Weed St in ages. Looks like Zentra and Crobar are still around, which is amazing because I went to those places in 2002. It's rare for nightclubs to be around for that long. I wonder if all of this encroaching commercial development will eventually force them to leave...
Crobar has been closed since early 2010...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 11:54 PM

Does anyone know what the name of that really nice rehab they just did at Diversey and Milwaukee above the Gap Outlet is? I remember an article a while back about it, but can't find it. Just curious about the specs of that project. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Does anyone know what the name of that really nice rehab they just did at Diversey and Milwaukee above the Gap Outlet is? I remember an article a while back about it, but can't find it. Just curious about the specs of that project. Thanks.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-logan-square#

I don't know if there's a name for the project. I couldn't find anything on the R.P. Fox Website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development