HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
A great thing about the SELRT is it will provide an option that is WAY better than current road connectivity.
The issues with the SE-LRT are many fold. Firstly there are fewer people way out there. Secondly, many of the people way out there actually work way out there, EG the new hospital, etc. Thirdly, people who live way out there are inherently car people (that's why the low transit uptake).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 10:08 PM

Better hurry if you want 69 St Parkade reserved parking. Just signed up and I'm already number 350 out of 420 spots available on the waitlist.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 11:18 PM

can we change the thread title from "Under construction" to "In Revenue Service"?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 12:12 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

My question re: NC vs SELRT, is how successful is the current BRT to the area, and if it isn't why?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:10 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I know this might sound a bit hostile and anti-business, but I think rewarding companies for moving their operations from well-serviced (by transit) locations to the middle of freaking nowhere is a very, very stupid precedent.

Companies want to abandon our transit nodes and build their little theme parks? Let them fund a chunk of the capital to bring transit to a new location.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I know this might sound a bit hostile and anti-business, but I think rewarding companies for moving their operations from well-serviced (by transit) locations to the middle of freaking nowhere is a very, very stupid precedent.

Companies want to abandon our transit nodes and build their little theme parks? Let them fund a chunk of the capital to bring transit to a new location.
If the city planned the node to begin with, and somehow the node became offices instead of a big box mall, should the city then punish said node?

As for CP Rail, they are special since they are pretty exempt from planning controls on their own land I think. I think the rail lines pay taxes or some kind of alternative payment, but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 2:29 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Shaganappi Point to Sunalta

Video Link

45th Street to Sirocco

Video Link

Sunalta to Downtown West-Kerby

Video Link

Last edited by srperrycgy; Dec 11, 2012 at 5:43 AM. Reason: Added Video

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:50 AM

And now to be late to the party (sorry was working on saturday so couldn't get the experience then )

Thoughts on the West Lrt
-I don't know what it is but despite having ridden the skytrain a lot out in vancouver the awesome factor of the elevated portion of this line is something else.
-Thank goodness for the signs in Westbrook station, I happened to look before exiting cause given that the line is jogging down to 17th but my brain was still thinking "I'm heading due west" I was thinking the westerly exit would be closest to the mall.
-Speaking of the mall, I am mildly disappointed with the wayfinding to get to the mall itself. They had 'fences' to discourage people from using the mall parking lot for park and ride so it wasn't immediately obvious how to get to the mall from the station. I had been planning on running a few errands there but ended up catching the 306 instead. Wonder how much potential customers will be deterred from wandering over to Westbrook because of this (having a not particularly flattering view of the mall from the station doesn't help much either)
-The best part of the West LRT line will have to be just how much closer that area of the city feels. For a long while everything beyond crowchild seemed so painfully far away for someone living on in the Southeast.

And a related thought
I also took the oportunity to ride the new 306 BRT from Westbrook to Heritage. Really think there could have been better communication regarding the introduction of this route. They were running a full articulated bus with the peak number of people on being 7. There were a few really confused people who probably should've gotten on but opted not to. I was on the bus passing going down heritage when the very first group of students getting off school at Central Memorial were getting to the bus stop on Crowchild @ 54th. They didn't have a clue about the route's introdution though they figured out the bus was going to Heritage so got on.

It is mildly unfortunate that this route has to premiere just as Exam break starts. Under normal circumstances the bus would've likely been well utilized with the folks whose last class ended at 3:20

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 7:07 AM
ARTchitecture

Gave myself a tour of the West LRT. First day open today.

Sunalta Station

View between Sunalta and Shaganappi Stations

Shaganappi Station

Westbrook Station
Platform Level

Light Cannon

Atrium/South Station head

Entire station above ground level including TOD

Field of light cannons

Northern Station head/Public Library

45 Street Station

Sirocco Station

69th Street Station
Platform level

East Station head(Station heads are absolutely massive inside, very grand)

Park n' Ride

High School as part of the TOD

Platform level from the street

Terminus ditch

West Station head

View coming back downtown

Source: me

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 3:58 PM

From this:
Quote:
To this:
Quote:
Now: Forgot about the column, doh! Solution - build the big clock and hang it there!
Quote:

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Dec 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:26 PM

To be fair, the original rendering was a concept, not the actual design. I think the new line looks great, some of it could have been a bit nicer, but I have no complaints. Now lets get the Westbrook TOD going!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:39 PM
not a NIMBY

thanks for the tour Chadillaccc!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 4:57 PM
Here and There

Why do people in Calgary feel the need to pick things apart that are just opened to the public. At least wait a while........fack.

The Calgary sun already has an article about the new train and how it was inconvenient for people already (like drivers and people who used to take the bus)

This city can be such a downer sometimes. If its not a new freeway or sport complex, no one is happy here. Why does the Calgary Sun strive to spread miserable garble everyday? What a failed newspaper.

So many people quote that stupid paper in conversation.......trouble is, its full of bullshit.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:25 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Why do people in Calgary feel the need to pick things apart that are just opened to the public. At least wait a while........fack.
Because they now live in Edmonton and seem to have acquired a big chip on their shoulder?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:

The Calgary sun already has an article about the new train and how it was inconvenient for people already (like drivers and people who used to take the bus)

This city can be such a downer sometimes. If its not a new freeway or sport complex, no one is happy here. Why does the Calgary Sun strive to spread miserable garble everyday? What a failed newspaper.

So many people quote that stupid paper in conversation.......trouble is, its full of bullshit.
No kidding, CBC has an article with some whiner complaining his commute from Coach Hill now takes 31 mins vs. 29 wth the old 101!!! So one day's timing decides whether the new line is good or not for this guy? Also article says he is now considering driving. yeah right.

Parked at 69 parkade this morning at 7:20 and it was nearly full - had to go to top deck to get a spot! 750 spots! Should tell you something right there...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Because they now live in Edmonton and seem to have acquired a big chip on their shoulder?
I just find the column a bit weird.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:38 PM
Here and There

I cant believe these whiners dont see the benefit of having a train that can whizz by traffic jams and snow storm traffic that will happen on bow trail........Im glad to see that the train is packed already! The train is also a great way to save on the cost of our downtown parking rates and to be more physically fit walking to and around these stations. Sunalta Station is a great morning workout....

Its christmas time people! At least try to make an effort to be pleasant.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:42 PM

The system looks great! Congratulations Calgary. Fail column aside, the new public library at the Westbrook station is a great public amenity.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:53 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
I cant believe these whiners dont see the benefit of having a train that can whizz by traffic jams and snow storm traffic that will happen on bow trail........Im glad to see that the train is packed already! The train is also a great way to save on the cost of our downtown parking rates and to be more physically fit walking to and around these stations. Sunalta Station is a great morning workout....

Its christmas time people! At least try to make an effort to be pleasant.
I see the biggest benefit is that so many more trips are made accessible than just the home-downtown during rush hour trip. People using the West LRT can now stop off at westside rec to go to the gym afterwork, stop at Sunterra at Sirocco and grab a few groceries, go to Westbrook Mall to do some shopping or do a whole lot more before they get home. As well, they can now catch a frequent and rapid bus to MRU or Rockyview Hospital with a quick transfer at Westbrook. And they can do all of this throughout the entire day at relatively high frequencies. If they stay late at work, they don't have to worry about having to wait half an hour for a bus. The train still comes quite frequently.

I used to work at Earls in Dalhousie and started just a couple of years after the LRT openend. The management were constantly patting themselves on the back because they figured the record setting increase in sales was due to the "systems" they put in place. They didn't figure out that having a train station allowed people to grab dinner after work (and meet their spouse and kids) was the primary reason for sales increases.

The greatest benefit of a transit system that is fast and more importantly, frequent, is that you can start to build a life around it. You start using it not only to get to work, but for other things as well (usually trip chaining on your way home from work). That is the benefit of good transit, not that it saves 5 minutes on your commute.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 5:56 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by andasen View Post
I also took the oportunity to ride the new 306 BRT from Westbrook to Heritage. Really think there could have been better communication regarding the introduction of this route. They were running a full articulated bus with the peak number of people on being 7. There were a few really confused people who probably should've gotten on but opted not to. I was on the bus passing going down heritage when the very first group of students getting off school at Central Memorial were getting to the bus stop on Crowchild @ 54th. They didn't have a clue about the route's introdution though they figured out the bus was going to Heritage so got on.

It is mildly unfortunate that this route has to premiere just as Exam break starts. Under normal circumstances the bus would've likely been well utilized with the folks whose last class ended at 3:20
I agree they could have advertised that route a lot better. IMO, that is really the dark horse in the whole westside transit changes. The 306 is really the first BRT-style (well, Calgary BRT-style) transit that doesn't go downtown. Having a fast and frequent crosstown service is amazing and will attract more and more ridership. They really need to promote it though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure