HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 12:30 AM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post

Curbed L.A. is reporting that work is set to begin at the Wilshire/Vermont apartments. It isn't a perfect project by any means- note the little 'driveway' thing- but it's great density (464 apartments) and much better then what is there now. Also, new render.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...ont_towers.php
Finally a source!!!

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 12:51 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

910 parking spaces for 464 apartments and 35,000 sq. ft of retail, directly across the street from a subway station, and it's by far the worst design element of what would otherwise be a great development. So sad. If they cut the parking down by 300 spaces, they would still have ample parking for both uses, and probably afford to have some sort of architectural screening on that garage.

On the bright side, those units will have some killer views.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 3:21 AM
International

Yeah, 900 parking spaces. Way to incentivize mass transit in the city's densest nabe, and also one of its poorest. Where will all of these cars even be coming from?!

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Yeah, 900 parking spaces. Way to incentivize mass transit in the city's densest nabe, and also one of its poorest. Where will all of these cars even be coming from?!
My guess is that the target renter is Korean adults and families; people who will be there long-term, can afford a car and want room for guests. I know a number of people in SoMa who had this issue and ended up moving to the suburbs when they get married.

The location is very good news, since it is at the edge of West Lake and may bode well for development in that direction. This is an area of Wilshire that could boom if it's central location is "discovered".

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 8:41 AM

This vermont thing starts construction today.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7862099.story

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 8:53 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
This vermont thing starts construction today.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7862099.story
Highlights from the article include:

Quote:
Ground-floor retailers are to include Starbucks, the Counter restaurant, a grocer, a bank and a dry cleaner when the complex is finished in 2014. Apartment rents are to start at $2,100 a month.
Smaller things like dry cleaners are what makes a community livable. I'm glad to see the developer including them in his project.

Hopefully, this is the start of many more apartment towers throughout the L.A. area. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more break ground before the end of the year, especially in Hollywood and Korea Town.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 4:25 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

We should update the "under construction" list. For one thing, LA times announced that the vermont towers would ground break today, and the wilshire/la brea project has been under construction for quite some time. In fact I found a very interesting video that may have already been posted on this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uAOvvv_Voo

To see two big projects courtyard Marriott in downtown and now the vermont towers to break ground makes me very excited for LA.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 6:00 PM
Ascension

I'm starting to think that LA might be nearing that 'booming' point many people wanted back in the glory days between 2006-2008 when there was a new tower proposed every week. It isn't often that we get any sort of new ground up developments so to see what's happening and what could happen this year is very exciting to see.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 9:53 PM

That old spaghetti factory tower is probably not happening at this point.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-building.html

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:16 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
That old spaghetti factory tower is probably not happening at this point.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-building.html
How is this indicative that the tower isn't happening? It's just a group suing, nothing new. The case will either not be picked up or be resolved, and the tower will continue.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
How is this indicative that the tower isn't happening? It's just a group suing, nothing new. The case will either not be picked up or be resolved, and the tower will continue.

I would think if anybody, people on this board would know how these things usually go with big projects in california. 1) A lawsuit is filed. 2) It takes years to resolve. 3) Tired of fighting legal battles without end in sight the developer sells the land. 4) The land sits undeveloped as a parking lot or whatever for years/decades.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 12:06 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I would think if anybody, people on this board would know how these things usually go with big projects in california. 1) A lawsuit is filed. 2) It takes years to resolve. 3) Tired of fighting legal battles without end in sight the developer sells the land. 4) The land sits undeveloped as a parking lot or whatever for years/decades.
I believe the tower is already under pre-construction. This thing is happening, lawsuit or not. And besides, plenty of projects are sued and still go ahead. Hell, I'd go as far as to say most are.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:05 AM
99.9%-Urban .1%-Me

Quote:
I believe the tower is already under pre-construction. This thing is happening, lawsuit or not. And besides, plenty of projects are sued and still go ahead. Hell, I'd go as far as to say most are.
I love your optimism, LA needs more people like you.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 "Don't play with Lightning"

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:38 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The issue at hand with the lawsuit is whether or not CIM reneged on a previous agreement with the City - conditional to the entitlement of the project - to preserve certain elements of the old Spaghetti Factory building. If they didn't meet the terms of that deal, they'll likely have to pay back all or a portion of the $3.7 million the City gave to the development for preservation of the facade.

This is likely to be settled far before it goes to court, with some sort of concession made by CIM. I'm interested to see how this turns out, to be perfectly honest. I'm all for this development, but if they made an agreement with the City, took taxpayer money pursuant to that agreement, then turned around and did the exact opposite, they should be held fully accountable.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:49 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The issue at hand with the lawsuit is whether or not CIM reneged on a previous agreement with the City - conditional to the entitlement of the project - to preserve certain elements of the old Spaghetti Factory building. If they didn't meet the terms of that deal, they'll likely have to pay back all or a portion of the $3.7 million the City gave to the development for preservation of the facade.

This is likely to be settled far before it goes to court, with some sort of concession made by CIM. I'm interested to see how this turns out, to be perfectly honest. I'm all for this development, but if they made an agreement with the City, took taxpayer money pursuant to that agreement, then turned around and did the exact opposite, they should be held fully accountable.
And really, 3.7 million is a tiny fraction of how much it costs to build an apartment tower. Even if CIM does have to pay, I wouldn't think it would be too big a deal.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:34 AM

There's a large fence going up around the building and parking lots at the NE corner of Hollywood and Argyle. Could this be the start of construction for phase 1 of the BLVD 6200 project?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 4:01 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2726 View Post
There's a large fence going up around the building and parking lots at the NE corner of Hollywood and Argyle. Could this be the start of construction for phase 1 of the BLVD 6200 project?
It's about damn time.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 4:31 PM
International

Two updates:

The building along Alvarado directly across from MacArthur Park has concluded its renovation, and looks quite sharp. Unfortunately, my excitement faded away when I read that upon its conversion from an SRO, it was made int 79 "affordable housing" units. They're for seniors, which really isn't that bad, that Westlake and Pico-Union have more than enough low-income housing. Part of the reason they're such shitholes is that only poor peasants from Central America live there, and do little upkeep on the (said low-income) properties. Here is the link to the development.

Also, on Cahuenga, near Hollywood, there is a small Art-Déco building covered in shrouding, presumably undergoing a renovation or facade repair. Here is the building in mention.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Two updates:

The building along Alvarado directly across from MacArthur Park has concluded its renovation, and looks quite sharp. Unfortunately, my excitement faded away when I read that upon its conversion from an SRO, it was made int 79 "affordable housing" units. They're for seniors, which really isn't that bad, that Westlake and Pico-Union have more than enough low-income housing. Part of the reason they're such shitholes is that only poor peasants from Central America live there, and do little upkeep on the (said low-income) properties. Here is the link to the development.

Also, on Cahuenga, near Hollywood, there is a small Art-Déco building covered in shrouding, presumably undergoing a renovation or facade repair. Here is the building in mention.
the building on Cahuenga is the former Capital Cities bar (which was an amazing place, not sure why they shut it down) and its being converted to another Bar / Restaurant by the same owners from what i was told a few months ago by my neighbor who works for space craft.

Also, i really hope that BLVD 6200 is starting. they are way behind schedule

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:17 PM
BANNED

Sounds like good news in Hollywood. Since the Spaghetti Factory is already torn down, it's hard to see why they would slow down, and 6200 has the potential to be a real winner.

btw, I went through the new alley behind St. Felix, etc. Very nice and I understand the north end will soon be up and running as well. I would hope to see this done since it it is the kind of look that attracts people: intimate, clubby, protected, with muted colors, texture, comfortable seating.

A hundred alleys in Hollywood and downtown should get this treatment, and every new development (e.g., Capitol Records) should build similar unstructured passageways (or a little wider) into the overall plan. They serve the same use as plazas, but are much more pleasant and habitable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations