HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:34 AM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 1:43 PM

I wish this was still all residential. This is a prime spot for housing.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I wish this was still all residential. This is a prime spot for housing.
The Zilker NIMBYs would've thrown everything they have at it

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:17 PM

In regards to the design, the full length windows will be nice for the hotel, but overall it's a little boring. Would have rather seen a more interesting design like the Arrive East Austin hotel for such a hugely visible spot in Austin.

Regardless, tear down that Taco Cabana and get moving asap!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 4:55 PM

Does it have a height limitation? Like pretty much everything in Austin, I think it should be taller.

OTOH, it's pretty consistent with heights on that side of the river, so makes sense if true.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:59 PM
Resident Moron

Maybe this will undoom some of the retail in this area. I swear for whatever reason anything North of P-Terrys can't make it

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Maybe this will undoom some of the retail in this area. I swear for whatever reason anything North of P-Terrys can't make it
Not enough foot traffic (yet) and a total cluster**** for people driving & parking.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Not enough foot traffic (yet) and a total cluster**** for people driving & parking.
Not enough foot traffic?! That area is always packed with people.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Does it have a height limitation?
Yes. The original developer had to put up a pretty good fight to get approval for a height increase to a whopping 96' (roof height).

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Not enough foot traffic?! That area is always packed with people.
People headed to the trails or park along the river mostly. There is not a lot of local foot traffic south of there in spite of all the newish development.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Yes. The original developer had to put up a pretty good fight to get approval for a height increase to a whopping 96' (roof height).
Feh.

I mean . . . I get that the parcel itself isn't particularly huge, but . . . I'd think something the height of Riversouth wouldn't be too far out of character.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:53 AM

Boring, safe, but nice infill.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:04 PM
Love Austin

I recall past Planning Commission Chair Oliver saying about this development, "I want to vote no on allowing this site to go to 96' as it should be closer to 300'." Now that we live under revenue caps one has to wonder how much irresponsible land use dictated by Nimbyism this city council will tolerate. If this building were allowed to be as tall as it wants it would be a boost for transit, for our compact and connected goals, for affordability by more of a density bonus and for our tax base!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
I recall past Planning Commission Chair Oliver saying about this development, "I want to vote no on allowing this site to go to 96' as it should be closer to 300'." Now that we live under revenue caps one has to wonder how much irresponsible land use dictated by Nimbyism this city council will tolerate. If this building were allowed to be as tall as it wants it would be a boost for transit, for our compact and connected goals, for affordability by more of a density bonus and for our tax base!
yes, Oliver is right. I believe the restaurants in Lamar Union struggle in large part due to the low number of units at LU. If the building were 15 stories tall, the small businesses would have a fighting chance.

The people who run this town are sooo stupid.

Juul may help. 1300 highly paid employees on Lamar will fill up a lot of restaurants, even the crappy ones.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:48 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
yes, Oliver is right. I believe the restaurants in Lamar Union struggle in large part due to the low number of units at LU. If the building were 15 stories tall, the small businesses would have a fighting chance.

The people who run this town are sooo stupid.

Juul may help. 1300 highly paid employees on Lamar will fill up a lot of restaurants, even the crappy ones.
Lamar Union is a special cluster-f*&^. They charge obscene rent and nothing lasts. The "problem" is there aren't enough residents in the immediate area and the people going to Lamar Union are mostly going to a movie theater that serves food.

A bar/nightlife spot could succeed there but Alamo doesn't want competition to their crappy bar.

I do feel we are building a lot of mid-rises with pretty crappy construction that are all being designed to be torn down in 20 years so that actual hi-rises can go up. The build quality on a lot of these screams "make your cash now, wait for a rezone and then go up"

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 7:57 PM

While those are issues with Lamar Union, the real problem has been the restaurants themselves and not the location. They've all been mediocre, and in a city with such a thriving culinary scene, mediocre doesn't cut it.

I guarantee you Suerte or Barley Swine or any of the other hot restaurants would be very successful in this location. But instead, we've had mediocre offerings and it's not that difficult to drive ten minutes away to get to a better option.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:10 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
While those are issues with Lamar Union, the real problem has been the restaurants themselves and not the location. They've all been mediocre, and in a city with such a thriving culinary scene, mediocre doesn't cut it.

I guarantee you Suerte or Barley Swine or any of the other hot restaurants would be very successful in this location. But instead, we've had mediocre offerings and it's not that difficult to drive ten minutes away to get to a better option.
Vox Table when it first opened was very nice. I actually liked the tex-mex place too, but it was way overpriced for what it was. The Italian and Sushi place are both strong mehs and the Vietnamese spot pretending to be Thai food because American's can't handle the idea that Vietnamese isn't just Pho is ok. TLC is good and is doing well as a result.

That said, I've heard rent in Lamar Union is *dumb*. I've also heard that the multiple markets and gyms are a result of being promised on leases for residential. I've also noticed most of the street access apartments on Treadwell look vacant. Horribly designed with zero privacy at all.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 1:06 PM

The design is adequate and happy about the infill, however I too wish it was going to be residential. Will the Paggi House be demo'd as part of this development? I can't quite tell for sure.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 8:19 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinaustin View Post
The design is adequate and happy about the infill, however I too wish it was going to be residential. Will the Paggi House be demo'd as part of this development? I can't quite tell for sure.
Wrong side of the street. This is the Schlotzky's

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinaustin View Post
Based on the site plan, only the parking lot in front of Paggi House (and the former Taco Cabana) will be replaced.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachme...oAA%2FLmMdnWBr

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin