One Park Lane in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 6:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
I have a feeling that massing shown here for the Park Lane tower will end up being more or less the same height in the final product. Witkoff has recently implied that it won't be higher than 1000ft and most of his focus on Billionaires Row was directed toward 220 CPS by Vornado which will obviously be about the same height as Witkoff seems to be gunning for (900ft range). Besides, isn't there gonna be another tower developed by Vornado next to the Solow Building? I have a feeling that since that site is right behind the Park Lane, we'll probably end up with a setup similar to the Central Park Tower and 220 CPS which would actually look more balanced and diverse.
Well, if we've learned one thing from watching the development of the towers along "billionaire's row", it's that what developers say and what actually gets built are not always the same thing. He says he may not want to build to the full height, but there's a reason Vornado's 220 CPW is getting what it's getting, just as there is a reason 15 CPW was a forerunner of these towers. He very well may have to rely on a boosted height to get in that game - direct views of the park or not - simply because he will be later in the game. At this point in the game, I don't think anyone is sure what will be built there, but I'm guessing they are prepared to go either option.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 3:18 PM
Mr. Technology

Remember, the Central Park views are worth allot of $$$ on Billionaire's Boulevard.

And yes, I refer to it as the "Boulevard" because this is not a tiny "row" of towers.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 5:23 PM
New Yorker for life

http://gothamist.com/2015/11/09/shad...rk.php#photo-1

Shadow-Fearing Protesters Wield Umbrellas Against Midtown Skyscraper Development

BY SCOTT LYNCH
NOV 9, 2015

The REBY issued a report to fight the critics of the supertall towers going up in the city. It's a nice read, and here are a few grabs...

https://rebny.com/content/dam/rebny/..._of_Towers.pdf

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:00 PM

This infuriates me. If these people really care so much about shadows don't live in fucking Manhattan. Go buy yourself a nice cottage on the countryside and live in obscurity, and stop bothering everyone else. And another thing, the shadows are not even that bad, and only really have a minuscule effect in winter months. Winter, when no one is outside in the park frolicking in the sunshine. Some people just need something to be upset about, I wish they put their attention to something important instead.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 12:11 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

The best part about these protesters is that in the vast majority of those pictures, they are already in shadows from existing buildings.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 12:33 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
The best part about these protesters is that in the vast majority of those pictures, they are already in shadows from existing buildings.
These NIMBY scum are making a big fuzz over nothing. In the summer (most seasons really), most of the park is exposed to the melanoma causing sun rays. I really feel that they have nothing better to do. Its just bitter, old, decrepit looking folks who just complain at anything that is taller than a tree. Same type of folks who view 12 floors as a monstrosity (as seen in Brooklyn).

Like most of their futile efforts, they will fail. All of these towers will rise. The one thing, one thing that can bring it all down is the economy, but even with a luxury market that many analysts see as peaking, and starting the decline, its strong enough to support these influx of units.

While the uber-luxury market might be slowing down, for affordable units, its higher than ever.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
...Its just bitter, old, decrepit looking folks who just complain at anything that is taller than a tree. Same type of folks who view 12 floors as a monstrosity (as seen in Brooklyn).
To me the funny observation I make, is why do they choose to live in New York City one of the most urban places on this planet and then fight against everything NYC is.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 4:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
To me the funny observation I make, is why do they choose to live in New York City one of the most urban places on this planet and then fight against everything NYC is.
It's all so ridiculous.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 1:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
If the mob was strong enough, like the good old days, then we we see some of them keep quite. Good old days when a lot of construction companies where controlled by the mob. If somebody complained, they got a "visit".

All I'm saying is that the mafia was good for neighborhoods. They protected the community and bribes can do wonders to shut peoples mouths.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 7:58 PM

Quote:
If the mob was strong enough, like the good old days, then we we see some of them keep quite. Good old days when a lot of construction companies where controlled by the mob. If somebody complained, they got a "visit".

All I'm saying is that the mafia was good for neighborhoods. They protected the community and bribes can do wonders to shut peoples mouths.
wat

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 12:31 AM
Mr. Technology

Let me tell you something:
The shadows PROTECT you from the harmful and dangerous ULTRA-VIOLET radiation from the sun!!

These new super-towers will save lives!!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The current hotel has its last reserves for 11/16 , which should indicate demo shorty afterwords. Seems like the plan if they are expecting a late quarter 2020 finish.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:25 PM

Quote:
The current hotel has its last reserves for 11/16 , which should indicate demo shorty afterwords. Seems like the plan if they are expecting a late quarter 2020 finish.
But will it be a complete demo or will it be a 425 Park-like process?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 9:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
But will it be a complete demo or will it be a 425 Park-like process?
I think full on demo, but in terms of what may occur, its to early to say. For now we've seen conceptual renderings. A beta in a way. Who knows how this will manifest in the months to come. The suspense...

I would prefer if they keep the structure, and just add onto it. Like a 5 Beekman aka 115 Nassau moment, only a super tall and not as ugly.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 4:19 AM

you guys are unbridled maniacs ! . .

"shadows PROTECT you from dangerous ULTRA-VIOLET
radiation !! . . Super-towers will save lives!! "
- TechTalk
"the mafia was good for neighborhoods . . .
If somebody complained, they got a 'visit'." - Chris

ya gotta love the lunatics on this site.

. . Up until a few years ago . .
when I was in Central Park . . in the heart of Manhattan . .
I wondered why the heck NY's skyline mostly vanished from view . .
Tall looking buildings should be visible from every vantage point.
After all - this was Big Time Skyscraper City ! . .
Instead there was a modest architectural plateau to the south . .

I understood why . . the distance/perspective thing . .
but the city felt so much less "New York" . .
without seeing some soaring peaks.
Did I sense the auras of 432 - CPT - 111 - & the others . .
invisibly rising in the future . .
or was there an ideal celestial mega-city . .
that my spirit longed for ? . .
now even those little town blues are melting away.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
you guys are unbridled maniacs ! . .

"shadows PROTECT you from dangerous ULTRA-VIOLET
radiation !! . . Super-towers will save lives!! "
- TechTalk
"the mafia was good for neighborhoods . . .
If somebody complained, they got a 'visit'." - Chris

ya gotta love the lunatics on this site.

. . Up until a few years ago . .
when I was in Central Park . . in the heart of Manhattan . .
I wondered why the heck NY's skyline mostly vanished from view . .
Tall looking buildings should be visible from every vantage point.
After all - this was Big Time Skyscraper City ! . .
Instead there was a modest architectural plateau to the south . .

I understood why . . the distance/perspective thing . .
but the city felt so much less "New York" . .
without seeing some soaring peaks.
Did I sense the auras of 432 - CPT - 111 - & the others . .
invisibly rising in the future . .
or was there an ideal celestial mega-city . .
that my spirit longed for ? . .
now even those little town blues are melting away.
I think the "Super Towers will save lives" bit was just that, a tongue-in-cheek bit. The mafia being good for neighborhoods thing is a bit ... strange

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:22 PM

Manhattan Developer Ices Plans for Central Park Luxury Condos

Sarah Mulholland
January 28, 2016

Quote:
Developer Steven Witkoff is holding off on converting Manhattan’s Park Lane Hotel into luxury condominiums -- for now.

The owners are contemplating a renovation of the 46-story hotel at the foot of Central Park, Witkoff said in an interview. He led a group that acquired the property from the estate of Leona Helmsley for $660 million in 2013, with options including demolishing the existing structure, converting the building into a combination of hotel rooms and condominiums and continuing to operate the hotel. Since then, the allure of building high-end homes has dimmed as new towers aimed at multimillionaire buyers crowd the market.

“The fact of the matter is, the velocity is not what it was,” said Witkoff, whose partners include fellow developer Harry Macklowe. “Because we have a cash flow, we have the flexibility to wait.”

Plans for the Park Lane, at 36 Central Park South, are taking shape as Manhattan’s luxury sales market shows signs of an oversupply after a post-recession construction surge. In the third quarter, the number of homes for sale in the top fifth of the market jumped 8.9 percent, according to data from real estate website StreetEasy. Listings fell more than 3 percent for the other four levels combined.

Continue Reading

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 7:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah he could potentially only realize a profit of 2.2 billion instead of 2.4. Perfectly understandable.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 3:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Developer Steven Witkoff is holding off on converting Manhattan’s Park Lane Hotel into luxury condominiums -- for now.

“The fact of the matter is, the velocity is not what it was,” said Witkoff, whose partners include fellow developer Harry Macklowe. “Because we have a cash flow, we have the flexibility to wait.”

That's reasonable. But someone else may jump ahead in the line. We'll see. It's a situation somewhat similar to the Hotel Pennsylvania. The hotel is open, and there's no rush to close it as long as it's doing business.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That's reasonable. But someone else may jump ahead in the line. We'll see. It's a situation somewhat similar to the Hotel Pennsylvania. The hotel is open, and there's no rush to close it as long as it's doing business.
I wouldn't mind seeing a reclad/renovation of the Park Lane Hotel if they decide to go down that route. I just hope that Witkoff's decision to hold off for the time being won't discourage other nearby developments like Vornado's new project next door to the the Solow Building or the adjacent Hadassah site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals