HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
In another good little tidbit of news for North/Clyborn (this area really needs to get a real name for itself if it is going to keep booming like this):

A 156 room hotel has landed financing and is slated to go up at the corner of Weed and Fremont. Any idea which corner that is? I assume it is probably the East side of the street in that big lot left over from the SONO construction.

Via Curbed

If I had my druthers I'd say that looks like an Aloft Hotel. Really really interesting news though. The construction of a hotel here completely changes the equation in the area. With the construction of New City and this hotel, the area is going to be so choked with auto's that it will be forced to become more pedestrian as it is already basically intolerable to drive through this area.

Also, let me just go back to that comment I made a while ago about this becoming a mini skyscraper district. Between New City, Sono's, the existing highrises to the East, and now this midrise, there is quite the little cluster of density forming here. Hell, if we can weed out even just one or two of the strip malls in this area it is going to really feel like an actual neighborhood and not just a little slice of Schaumburg.

This post was from back in December. Exact address is 1539 N Fremont, or that lot left over from the SONO buildings. Walsh issued the "For Construction" docs yesterday. Expect this one to go soon. Bye bye surface lot.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:43 PM

^^^ I was just over there in that parking deck above Victorias Secret and the Gap with the awesome views of downtown the other day and was wondering what ever happened to that little blurb. Good to hear, that will just further gridlock that area along with New City physically forcing the area to become more walkable. I still think North and Clyborn will be an area where eventually the market forces get so strong that the auto-centric nature of the place will have to change. If consumers can't even get to your project by car because it's a 24/7 clusterfuck, eventually you are going to decide to cater to pedestrians instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Another item to throw on your radar- Something is brewing at 840 N Clark, a surface lot. $40 Million project. Walsh is referring to it as "LDS Meetinghouse" but the plans aren't posted yet. This would be directly across the street from the Clark and Chestnut proposal.
LDS means only one thing: Latter Day Saints. A LDS Meetinghouse basically means a Mormon Church. Despite the peculiarities of their religion, the Mormons are known for throwing down on new construction churches, so we could get a fancy building out of this using real materials and not precast.

Edit: Here's the article from a year ago:

Quote:
Mormon facility on tap for River North

January 23, 2013|By Manya A. Brachear, Chicago Tribune reporter

A prized piece of River North real estate on the same corner that was supposed to accommodate a state-of-the-art synagogue and community center has been purchased by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to build its first meetinghouse in Chicago's downtown.

The property at Clark and Chestnut streets is adjacent to the former site of the proposed Chicago Center for Jewish Life, a multimillion-dollar building that would have offered a sanctuary, school, kosher cafe and crisis intervention services for Jewish travelers and members of Lubavitch Chabad of the Loop, Gold Coast and Lincoln Park, the Hasidic Orthodox community that built it.

According to the Cook County recorder of deeds, the LDS church, commonly called the Mormons, purchased the property for $5.24 million. Church officials told three congregations this week about plans to build a meetinghouse so they no longer would have to rent space in Lincoln Park and on Chicago's Northwest Side.

The church has 14 congregations within Chicago city limits. There are more than 15,000 Latter-day Saints in Chicago, Wilmette, Naperville and Schaumburg, church officials said. There are 55,800 Mormons in Illinois and more than 6 million in the U.S.

Though it's unclear when the Mormons will begin construction, church officials said they intend to build a six-story structure with three floors of meeting space and three floors of parking.

Church spokesman Eric Hawkins said designs aren't complete, but most meetinghouses include a theater and gymnasium space, a genealogical library and a chapel.

For Mormons, a meetinghouse is not the same as a temple, which is closed to the public and reserved for rituals such as sealing eternal marriages and posthumous baptisms.

"Local church members look forward to having a place of their own in downtown Chicago," Wilmette Stake President K. David Scott said in a statement. In the Mormon church, stakes encompass multiple congregations, resembling Roman Catholic dioceses.

Scott said the location made sense because of its proximity to public transportation.

Kevin Barney, a congregant in the Wilmette Stake who grew up in DeKalb, said the church's central and urban location would enable the church to participate in high-profile events.

"To have this one that close to downtown (means) there may be occasions or special events and meetings that I would be able to go to because I'm downtown anyway," said Barney, who works in the Loop. "That building could be used for visiting dignitaries."

.... More below:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...n-eric-hawkins

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Wow. Who knew that "the whole city" extended as far out as Milwaukee & Ashland?
Outside of the major projects he's pictured, I've been spending a lot of time in Humboldt Park lately and there are a shocking number of new construction projects over there, particularly along the South and Southwest side of the park. There is a front of gentrification pushing Southwest in a line from Logan Square to Wicker Park to Ukranian Village to West Loop and I am increasingly surprised at how far some developers are venturing towards Garfield Park/West Humboldt.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:40 PM
TL;DR

Touché, Mr D!

However, I'm just looking at larger projects that need a zoning change. There is a whole wave of small-scale development and renovation sweeping the neighborhoods right now that is under the radar unless you are marothisu and you compile building permit data. Even then the permit data only captures projects that have financing and entitlements in place.

The number of new TOD proposals outside the downtown area that deliberately eschew parking is also impressive, but so far it's only happening in dense areas like Lakeview and Wicker Park (no TOD midrises planned for Pilsen or Bronzeville... yet)

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:43 PM
The City

Southwest Humboldt Park is a heavily African American area. I see little sign of that particular area undergoing gentrification in the near future. East Humboldt Park is a different story, of course

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Southwest Humboldt Park is a heavily African American area. I see little sign of that particular area undergoing gentrification in the near future. East Humboldt Park is a different story, of course
East Humboldt Park doesn't exist. East Humboldt Park is known as Wicker Park and is already gentrified all the way to the Park proper. The section of Humboldt North of Grand but south of the Park is what I am talking about and it is most certainly not African American. The entire Grand corridor is Hispanic all the way until the Polish neighborhoods and suburbs out near and past Brickyard.

Anyone who calls the no-mans land south of Chicago Ave in Humboldt Park part of Humboldt Park is taking the community areas definition much too literally. That area is much more a part of Garfield Park than it is Humboldt Park.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:04 PM

More Cabrini Green space bites the dust:

Quote:
Conlon plans 40 condos near Cabrini-Green

By: Micah Maidenberg May 30, 2014

Real estate developer Sean Conlon plans a 40-unit condominium project near the Cabrini-Green housing development, joining a small wave of real estate firms trying to kick off new condo buildings downtown.

A venture of Conlon & Co. wants to develop the building on a property at 873 N. Sedgwick St. owned by the Archdiocese of Chicago, a couple blocks north of Chicago Avenue, confirmed Benjamin “Benjie” Burford, CEO of the Chicago-based company. He said there's a shortage of new condos in downtown Chicago and likes the site's location near tech jobs and the busy River North neighborhood.

“I would say there's still a need,” for new condos, Mr. Burford said. “Otherwise we wouldn't be building them. If you look at the landscape, I think the product will be well absorbed.”

While high-rise developers have favored apartments over condos in recent years, the market is now shifting. Demand for downtown condos is rising, but developers haven't built enough to keep up with it.

Developers had just 505 unsold units in hand at the end of the first quarter, down from 1,649 at the end of 2011 and 3,694 at the end of 2009, according to a recent report by Chicago-based Appraisal Research Counselors.
More here: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-cabrini-green

Is this the one replacing the church?

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:06 PM

Also, more development along Clyborn:

Quote:
Next on the drawing board for Clybourn Corridor: 68 apartments

By: David Lee Matthews May 29, 2014

A local developer plans apartments on a long-vacant strip in the heart of the Clybourn Avenue retail corridor.

Dennis Claussen of the Richden Cos. will unveil plans next week for a six-story, 68-unit project he wants to build at 1728-48 N. Clybourn Ave., according to a message sent to neighbors by a Lincoln Park community group.
Mr. Claussen, who declined to comment, joins the flock of developers focusing on apartments amid high occupancies and rising rents. He's familiar with the neighborhood, having developed the 8,115-square-foot Shoppes on Clybourn across the street from his apartment site.

Should he get community approval and a construction loan, Mr. Claussen could deliver more foot traffic to his shops and surrounding retailers in the Clybourn Corridor. The project site sits about a block north of a Red Line station at North and Clybourn avenues, as well as the massive New City development, which includes both retail and apartments.

Also nearby, a developer plans to convert a shuttered elementary school at 1855 N. Sheffield Ave. to 24 rentals.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Also, more development along Clyborn:
There is an old school being renovated right now along the Brown line around there. Is this something different?

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:20 PM

^The school conversion has already been green lighted by Alderman Michelle Smith; so its already advancing. Its a wonderful old building that is now to be renovated.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 4:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
More Cabrini Green space bites the dust:

Is this the one replacing the church?
Yes.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes.
Wow, that's great news!

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:35 PM

Are they actually going to tear down the old black/grey church on Clybourn? Or, are we talking about a different church? As I think that the old grey church off of Division and Clyblourn should be rehabbed and new contruction built around it...I think that if rehabbed properly, with proper landscaping to make it blend into the area better (and blend in with the new high-rises going in around it) it could be really quaint.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:47 PM

Guys there are three separate proposals here. The already started conversion of the school, the construction of 68 units on Clyborn in a vacant lot, and the demolition of the church at Sedgewick and Locust for the project pictured above.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 5:59 PM
Everywhere all at once

Not to nitpick, but is there a reason they need to tear down a church when there are vacant grass lots literally everywhere in the immediate area, including on both opposite corners?

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Not to nitpick, but is there a reason they need to tear down a church when there are vacant grass lots literally everywhere in the immediate area, including on both opposite corners?
Yeah after google mapping it, I'm now not as enthused. Maybe the CHA owns all that vacant land.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:34 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yeah after google mapping it, I'm now not as enthused. Maybe the CHA owns all that vacant land.
Really wish they would salvage and integrate the church. It's beautiful and a shame to lose, especially given the shortage of historic buildings nearby. To demolish it seems very shortsighted.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Really wish they would salvage and integrate the church. It's beautiful and a shame to lose, especially given the shortage of historic buildings nearby. To demolish it seems very shortsighted.
When I heard church I was thinking of that awful thing on Orleans.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=901+N...290.63,,0,9.55

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
Unless I'm confusing churches, there is a reason. A condition of the sale was that it be torn down and not re-used, I believe. It seemed crazy to me when I read it and I didn't get any other details. I speculated that the owners had a problem with religious buildings being re-purposed, but that was a complete guess on my part.

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Outside of the major projects he's pictured, I've been spending a lot of time in Humboldt Park lately and there are a shocking number of new construction projects over there, particularly along the South and Southwest side of the park. There is a front of gentrification pushing Southwest in a line from Logan Square to Wicker Park to Ukranian Village to West Loop and I am increasingly surprised at how far some developers are venturing towards Garfield Park/West Humboldt.
I was driving through Humboldt Park today (and I mean...actually Humboldt Park near Pulaski, not the neighborhood in West Town). I was actually surprised at how much newer stuff was on California south of North Ave. There's also a bunch of new stuff north of North Avenue too (which may technically mainly be actually Logan Square). Then of course around the south part of it new stuff is going up. I hadn't been around Chicago & California since October or November of last year, but I'm pretty sure a few new projects popped up there. The area is looking nice between California and Western. That whole area is one of the hip new parts of the city that's kind of flying under the radar at least until recently when it was made public that Sodikoff bought California Clipper and also the auto shop next to Rootstock that he'll turn into something too (around Augusta). It seems like this area is ready to start exploding almost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development