HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 10:45 AM
BANNED

i wasn't aware that galvanized steel could rust...
and since they're painted, nevermind completely.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2008, 4:04 PM

Even if it does eventualy rust, they are not gonna let it completely deteriorate. First, they need to attract shoppers and appeal to tenants. Second, since it's private it will cost them a couple of grand instead of $24 million to put a fresh coat of paint on.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 2:28 AM

..have they finished digging out the CTA station ? ....is there at least going to be a pedestrian crossover (assuming the station doesn't get finished ) ?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 7:41 AM
TL;DR

^ Yes... the pedestrian connection is not just part of the CTA stations, but also an essential part of the pedway network. I doubt CTA or the city will keep the passage closed any longer than necessary.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 10:45 AM
Registered

^ Maybe they can turn the pedway into a tollway, and use the proceeds to fund the superstation?

By my quick estimate, this way we can fund the station in around 1000 years, reducing the wait by about 90%.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 1:21 AM

...the pace of this building is absolutely glacial....they still don't even have the outside finished........it may be a block square but it's only 3 stories ....

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Maybe they can turn the pedway into a tollway, and use the proceeds to fund the superstation?

By my quick estimate, this way we can fund the station in around 1000 years, reducing the wait by about 90%.
What do you mean? All we have to do is improve the technology and find a private concessionaire to invest some equity in a money-losing venture.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

Techno Brutalism
Wow, I cant imagine this being left open like that. Wouldnt it become a paradise for the pigeons, if it hasnt already?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
Wow, I cant imagine this being left open like that. Wouldnt it become a paradise for the pigeons, if it hasnt already?
Heh...I hadn't thought of that. They can just throw up some of that crappy-looking anti-pigeon "barb-wire" that they use in CTA stations. Now THAT would be a classy finish.

Taft

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 2:02 PM
The City

I saw this project for the first time in person last weekend. Keep in mind, for those of you who live in Chicago, that the last time I was in the city this entire block was a vacant lot.

It was a bit weird (and pleasant) to see this site finally occupied. Of course, I don't mind the architecture except that I'd like to see one more highrise arise from this site eventually. To me, the mix of retail is crucial to this development. State St is very lively especially on weekdays, but it still somewhat lags areas north of the river on weekends. Considering how crowded Millennium Park was past weekend, a good retail mix at Block 37 can really go a long way towards pulling more people towards State St. I can say one thing for sure--Macy's sure as hell ain't gonna do it.

Just my 2 cents (I realize I just stated the obvious, but whatever..)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
What do you mean? All we have to do is improve the technology and find a private concessionaire to invest some equity in a money-losing venture.

Maybe some of the Midway privatization money can go towards towards the airport express project.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 6:56 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
Maybe some of the Midway privatization money can go towards towards the airport express project.
From what I read, 90% of it has to go to infrastructure per state law. I have to believe that means a healthy chunk of it will be put in play for the RTA. I just hope they don't write them another blank check.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 7:02 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taft View Post
Heh...I hadn't thought of that. They can just throw up some of that crappy-looking anti-pigeon "barb-wire" that they use in CTA stations. Now THAT would be a classy finish.

Taft
I was thinking chain link fence, ala Wrigley.

In all seriousness, is there any doubt it's going to be left open? The electrical boxes are facing the street and they've used exterior finishings on the walls.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 7:07 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
hahaha, oh... so galvanized steel rusts now?
Galvanized steel rusts. It takes longer, but it's still steel.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 8:23 PM

..they were furiously digging under Dearborn & Randolph on Sunday....is that related to the Superstation / pedway connection ?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 8:29 PM
tilted & shifted

I'm at the Lake station daily and often hear a lot of jackhammering and other construction-related sounds. If I recall, the site is being brought along to enough of a point that a private developer will be willing take the reins from the CTA and complete it.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
From what I read, 90% of it has to go to infrastructure per state law. I have to believe that means a healthy chunk of it will be put in play for the RTA. I just hope they don't write them another blank check.
.....why the RTA ??? ....Midway is a Chicago airport .the money should go to the CTA....

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
I was thinking chain link fence, ala Wrigley.

In all seriousness, is there any doubt it's going to be left open? The electrical boxes are facing the street and they've used exterior finishings on the walls.
Maybe they left it open for Quick access in a event a technical issue comes up with the TV Screen...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 4:07 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk1103 View Post
.....why the RTA ??? ....Midway is a Chicago airport .the money should go to the CTA....
Here is what I read...

"while 90 percent of the $1 billion Chicago expects to net from the deal will be earmarked for infrastructure improvements and city pension funds under state law."

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssF...51434920081008

Now I'm really starting to question how much will even be spent on infrastructure. $900 million under Daley's control to be spent on infrastructure or pension funds... Is there any doubt that a good chunk of that will be used to pay off the city pension fund shortfall?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 11:19 PM

Block 37 subsidy clears city commission
(Crain’s) — The Chicago Community Development Commission approved Tuesday a $12-million subsidy for Block 37, a move that paves the way for the construction of a new tower that will include ...

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=31401

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive