HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 12:39 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
It was architecturally beautiful too, with the 45% angle applied to all paved areas, stairs, planters and the entire surrounding sidewalk on Georgia, Howe, Robson and Granville. Very cohesive and well thought through. Originally the west-side of the long planter along Granville had a long waterfall-like water feature but that was removed soon after completion, around 1974, for some reason.

Also loved the alcove on the TD Tower, the 80's triangular add-on for the entry doesn't work or fit with the original design. I'm still hoping it will be replaced as shown in some of the early renders for Nordstrom and the plaza.
Those pics do a great job of showing off the great angles that the original plaza had, a well executed design. I can't remember now, was it still mostly intact when the Canada line was built? I had no idea there was a small performance space too, I wonder what prompted the removal of it?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 1:15 AM

Can confirm this project is now 100% leased. The final office tenant should be announced soon.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:07 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
It was architecturally beautiful too, with the 45% angle applied to all paved areas, stairs, planters and the entire surrounding sidewalk on Georgia, Howe, Robson and Granville. Very cohesive and well thought through. Originally the west-side of the long planter along Granville had a long waterfall-like water feature but that was removed soon after completion, around 1974, for some reason.

Also loved the alcove on the TD Tower, the 80's triangular add-on for the entry doesn't work or fit with the original design. I'm still hoping it will be replaced as shown in some of the early renders for Nordstrom and the plaza.
This is the kind of attention to architectural design and detail that you just won't see much of anymore.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 4:03 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Those pics do a great job of showing off the great angles that the original plaza had, a well executed design. I can't remember now, was it still mostly intact when the Canada line was built? I had no idea there was a small performance space too, I wonder what prompted the removal of it?
No, it had already been changed in the 80's to a circular pinkish motif with some steps to try and create a sort of amphitheatre. It was a semi-circle until the City Centre Station cut off about half of it.

photo credit : http://decoymagazine.ca/?attachment_id=4312

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 5:49 PM

Rather austere, perhaps?

whooops! Heyyyy, very interesting! (but rather stereotyped I think)

Last edited by trofirhen; Mar 1, 2016 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:40 PM

I think both the Eaton's plaza and the Four Seasons plaza (adding the Rotunda) were renovated at about the same time.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 10:22 AM

And they're still working on the plaza "upgrades".

March 16 '16, my pics

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 2:42 PM

So it looks like they nixed the idea of the floating stone pavers and went a more traditional route.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Can confirm this project is now 100% leased. The final office tenant should be announced soon.
How soon? I'm curious!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbeaulieu View Post
So it looks like they nixed the idea of the floating stone pavers and went a more traditional route.
There goes some LEED points perhaps? Trench drains won't retain much water I would imagine.

Since they are at it, wouldn't it be nice if they install some LED strips on the courtyard? Some blue-ish strip lighting feature would make the area look a lot more inviting at night too, and it also fits the modern design of Nordstrom and the skytrain entrance escalator glass box.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbeaulieu View Post
The floating pavers could not support the weight of even a small vehicle. They were fine for the pedestrian traffic that the square most commonly sees but even a small cherry picker to perform maintenance would be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
How soon? I'm curious!
It's a local tech firm that sounds similar to butterfly. I'll let you guys figure that one out.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
The floating pavers could not support the weight of even a small vehicle. They were fine for the pedestrian traffic that the square most commonly sees but even a small cherry picker to perform maintenance would be a problem.
Or the food carts that park in the area.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 7:22 PM

Quote:
It's a local tech firm that sounds similar to butterfly. I'll let you guys figure that one out.
<touches nose>

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
There goes some LEED points perhaps? Trench drains won't retain much water I would imagine.

Since they are at it, wouldn't it be nice if they install some LED strips on the courtyard? Some blue-ish strip lighting feature would make the area look a lot more inviting at night too, and it also fits the modern design of Nordstrom and the skytrain entrance escalator glass box.
I guess our Nordstrom's vertical panels prevented us from getting the LED strips that have been installed on the CF Toronto Eaton Centre Nordstrom:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74, post: 1091025, member: 146
They were testing the lights alongside the Nordstorm last night, they actually had 3 of the LED strips going, which I had not seen before. I must admit, I'm getting pretty excited hanging out around the Eaton Centre these days with all the fancy lighting and whatnot, can't wait for the restaurants to open up and flex out my AMEX... lol! Yonge and Dundas restaurants are a madhouse on Friday and Saturday nights, so these guys will have no problem filling up once they do open.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads....20351/page-62

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 8:30 AM

Work continues on the plaza repairs. And hey, they've got some nice tables and chairs put out for public use just south of the Canada Line entrance (last pic below).

April 2 '16, my pics

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 10:01 AM

Pacific Centre plaza ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks once again, mcminsen.
So glad they got rid of that tacky red paving on the plaza.
And what about that protruding TD tower entrance? Are they fixing it up, or getting ready to change it to flush with the building? The latter, I hope, but it doesn't seem it will be.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Work continues on the plaza repairs. And hey, they've got some nice tables and chairs put out for public use just south of the Canada Line entrance (last pic below).
The tables and chairs were there before - just tucked in between the 725 lobby entrance and Nordstrom entrance - directly under the eBar windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Microsoft sign on the north side:

https://twitter.com/GranvilleStreet

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:28 AM

Plaza repairs seem to be getting close to being done.

May 4 '16, my pics

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:09 PM

Cadillac Fairview sent a notice around today that when the plaza fully reopens it will be a "no smoking" zone and that smokers must comply with City Bylaws.
6m away from any entrance.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 8:59 PM

the middle picture by mcminsen

Thanks nice shots.
I notice in the middle picture that the sourrounding buildings complement each other in the color wheel; creamy pale yellow, through dusty grey yellowish,
to shades of warm greys to brownish, and the TD reflective near-black.
Disappointed they didnt take out that triangular door piece, though, and didn't rebuild it flush with the tower. More space that way, as well as aesthetics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver