HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingforthecity View Post
Nectar in Inglewood, it is heaven at the top of the stairs

Looks nice, I'll hafta check it out sometime!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 11:29 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Looks nice, I'll hafta check it out sometime!
take lots of cash!
________
Toyota Hilux Platform History

Last edited by Jimby; May 12, 2011 at 7:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingforthecity View Post
take lots of cash!
It's expensive?

Too bad, it looks nice.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:10 AM
of Canada

Coffee brands - for home use:

Whats good? Whats not?

I've been buying Kickinghorse. I like it. Should I try something else?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:13 AM
Majestic

Unrelated to coffee brands: I tried "Coffee Junkies" in Eau Claire today... not bad. Didn't try the coffee, just an Antipasto sandwich + soup and a can of root beer. Worked out to $9.80 after GST.

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Nov 28, 2007 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post

Whats good? Whats not?

I buy that brand also, and it's great. I'm not a coffee expert, but it's good IMO. If it turns out that Kickinghorse is bad by coffee connoisseur's standards, I'll pretend I didn't hear it and just keep liking the coffee. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 7:26 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
I buy that brand also, and it's great. I'm not a coffee expert, but it's good IMO. If it turns out that Kickinghorse is bad by coffee connoisseur's standards, I'll pretend I didn't hear it and just keep liking the coffee. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
I like Kickinghorse coffee beans and I like supporting a western Canadian distributor. I like the coffee I make at home with Kickinghorse beans and a MEC French press better than anything I have tried from a coffee shop.
________
IPAD CASES

Last edited by Jimby; May 12, 2011 at 7:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:45 PM

i tired some salt spring coffee last week.

it was alright.

www.saltspringcoffee.com

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:16 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I rarely eat at restaurants, so I'm not sure what makes a place great, but has anyone been to Route 40 here in TV? I think it's great, they have a seasonal menu, but in the summer I had a grilled steelhead wrap. That wrap is among the best things I've ever eaten.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:27 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Going out for dinner with another couple tomorrow night...any suggestions?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:37 PM
of Canada

The Parthenon.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:05 PM

Good Earth in Lougheed Building open for business!

As of yesterday Nov 29 the Good Earth Cafe is open for business as the newly renovated and restored Lougheed Building's first retail business. Please head down and show your support for heritage based businesses.
Corner of 6th Ave and 1st St SW.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 6:34 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post

Whats good? Whats not?

The best coffee on the planet = oso negro

http://www.osonegrocoffee.com/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Going out for dinner with another couple tomorrow night...any suggestions?
Well, I like Saltlik myself. It's a nice place and not too expensive. Greek food Parthenon is a good bet. Indian food, try Tandoori hut, it's a nice atmosphere, and one of the best Indian places.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 7:38 PM
Majestic

Japanese restaurant chain plans expansion in Calgary
Mario Toneguzzi , Calgary Herald
Published: Friday, November 30, 2007

An international quick-service restaurant chain has ambitious plans to expand in the Calgary marketplace, buoyed by impressive sales numbers in the food services sector.

Made In Japan Teriyaki Experience currently has three Calgary locations and its development strategy includes an additional eight franchise locations here in the next five years, including one in 2009 at the future CrossIron Mills shopping centre in the Balzac area.

The Oakville-based company says the local expansion is part of a national growth plan that calls for 60 new Canadian restaurants in the next five years, targeting Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and Atlantic Canada.

The company has 420 restaurants in Canada, the Middle East, Italy, Central America, South America, South Africa, the Caribbean and the United States.

On Friday Statistics Canada released its latest data for food services sales showing that total estimated sales of the restaurants, caterers and taverns industry reached $3.5 billion in September, a 4.3 per cent increase over September 2006.

Sales in the limited-service restaurants sector jumped by 3.6 per cent on a yearly basis from $1.3 billion a year ago to $1.4 billion this year.

In Alberta, total sales have increased by 4.6 per cent - $421.5 million in September 2006 to $440.9 million in September 2007.
mtoneguzzi@theherald.canwest.com

Flickr

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 8:45 PM
Calgreedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
The best coffee on the planet = oso negro

http://www.osonegrocoffee.com/
I'll wait for Furry's rebuttal.

Speaking of Furry I headed down to Palace of Eats for lunch today after his recommendation. The grilled Reuben hit the spot, especially after the long, cold walk from my office in the core.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 10:11 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Oso Negro and Kicking Horse are both pretty good depending on your taste- they both roast very dark. I'd recommend Oso Negro over KH however because Oso Negro provides and provides clearly its roast dates- it say "roasted with love on [date]" right on the package.

Fratello (the supplier for Good Earth and Beano, among many other shops) as started dating its bags too. I bought some of its Nicaraguan Los Milagros on Monday and it had been roasted on Friday- superb but very expensive, because this was a small-lot "cup of excellence" winner. I stopped at Beano today and learned that they get two fresh deliveries from Fratello a week and they showed me a 5-lb bag of Sumatran. Roast date: Nov 22. Superb. Fratello is really stepping up to the plate to become a good specialty roaster.

You should always buy beans that are not too far past the roast, I'd say not more than 3 weeks but not less then 3 days (beans need to "de-gas" after roasting and too fresh is pretty sour and harsh tasting). Luckily for us we have lots of options here to discern a recent roast date: Fratello, Mountain View Roasterie, Oso Negro, Salt Spring Island, and of course all the beans from Phil and Sebastian (they source from Hines Public Market in Vancouver, Novo Coffee in Denver, and Intelligentsia in Chicago) are on the shelf within a week of roasting and have dates, and 49th Parallel beans available at Bumpy's and Java Jamboree in Canmore (and Caffe Artigiano when it opens) have roaste dates.

Which bean to buy is a matter of personal taste- if you like it, buy it! But do try fresh beans if you can find them, and don't grind them until you're just about to drink your coffee, regardless of how you're brewing it. Good coffee is not more expensive than bad coffee!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 11:29 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quick note for the oenophiles on the board--Co-Op Liquor Midtown is now selling Khvanchkara, at long last and after over a year of prodding. It's a nice sweet red for those palates less accustomed to the dry reds more commonly tippled by Anglo wine drinkers. By the bottle, it's $20.49 there.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 3:12 AM
Build'em high!

I tried out Bolero (the Brazilian barbecue place on Macleod) yesterday, and came away impressed. I haven't tried any others, so nothing to compare it to, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was told by a few people that it was expensive, but it wasn't that bad.

Anyhow, a good place to check out. Thanks to those who suggested it.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Good Earth in Lougheed Building open for business! As of yesterday Nov 29 the Good Earth Cafe is open for business as the newly renovated and restored Lougheed Building's first retail business. Please head down and show your support for heritage based businesses. Corner of 6th Ave and 1st St SW.
David Parker December 3:

...Connie Chan, Good Earth's director of marketing, says the Lougheed Building shop is selling Nicaraguan Los Milagros coffee. But it won't last long as the company could only get 200 pounds of the Cup of Excellence award winner from the small amount available for auction. Premier quality and very rare, the coffee was grown by a small farmer on his five-hectare plantation. Hurry down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation