More of the East Village.

Calgary EV2 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Calgary EV3 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Calgary EV1 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Calgary EV by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Calgary 2019 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Source:
Video Link

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:51 PM
Fake News

St. Patrick's island looks amazing! Glad I gave input on their online questionnaire as it seems to have struck the right balance of natural vs manicured.

I know many of the towers are purely massing models, but I hope they throw in some more organic, curvy shapes to contend with all the boxes.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:54 AM

Like the renders of EV. I think it's much nicer than the Eau Claire proposal. IMO.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 7:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Much of those buildings (all of them other than the 8 currently proposed/UC), are just massing model place holders. The designs of them will hopefully/likely be much nicer.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Well done, Calgary. Very well done.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 1:15 AM

Congrats to Calgary! If the shit hits the fan over here, I'd be on the first plane to Calgary. For all the talks about it being an uncultivated place, at least it has jobs!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 1:41 AM

Super sexy looking project, Calgary.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 8:57 PM

future Skyline.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 9:18 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpuant View Post
For all the talks about it being an uncultivated place, at least it has jobs!
People certainly do love to talk. Unfortunately for so many, their words have little basis in reality.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Thank you, GreaterMontréal, for posting this video. I hope those proposals get approved.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 7:45 PM
MTL♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
future Skyline.

Video Link
a lot of those towers are under construction

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Kind of related to this thread....... Canada has some really skyline change coming in the future. I did a quick comparison using the SSP data base to compare Canadian cities to US (including suburbs) and Canada is doing very well. Below is a comparison of all Canadian and American cities with 10 or more high rises on the go.

Toronto 170
New York City 94
Vancouver 76
Montreal 46
Miami 38
Calgary 25
Houston 24
San Francisco 20
Chicago 15
Dallas 15
Ottawa 14
Seattle 14
Halifax 12
Boston 12
Edmonton 11
Kitchener Waterloo 11
Los Angeles 11
Philadelphia 10

Other Canadian cities
Victoria 7
London 4
Quebec 3
Winnipeg 3
Regina 2
St John's 2
I'm not sure why, but this list is missing Austin. Austin has more skyscraper projects than Houston and Dallas combined.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:23 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I'm not sure why, but this list is missing Austin. Austin has more skyscraper projects than Houston and Dallas combined.
Austin has over 40 highrises under construction? If so, that is very impressive.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:32 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
I believe the 40 number includes proposals, however the Austin diagram only shows 32, with just 9 U/C: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=62833561

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:44 PM

Deepstar's list is only buildings under construction? I would be very surprised if Houston had 24 highrises under construction right now. Or even in development, for that matter. There isn't much development going on in their downtown. Or Dallas's. We have at least 11 under construction right now (that list seems out-of-date, koops65). But we probably have about 40 either in development or under construction, yeah. Few cities are as hot as Austin, development-wise, right now. Definitely no other city in Texas. Sorry to derail this thread. I just wanted to make sure we got recognized.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:53 PM

Well the SSP database shows 26 U/C with one on hold, so 25. Apparently we are missing one if anything.

I expect all 3 of the big 4 Texan cities to ramp up high rise construction in the next 5 years, although I doubt any of them will come close to Tor, NYC or Vancouver's numbers.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Well the SSP database shows 26 U/C with one on hold, so 25. Apparently we are missing one if anything.

I expect all 3 of the big 4 Texan cities to ramp up high rise construction in the next 5 years, although I doubt any of them will come close to Tor, NYC or Vancouver's numbers.
No, of course not. I wasn't arguing that. I was only arguing that we're leaps and bounds better than Houston or Dallas (and most other American cities) in that department. We don't want to be a big city. We just want to be a dense city. Below is a rendering of what Austin could possibly look like in 2025 (keep in mind, we have height restrictions along the waterfront and for most of the right side of our downtown in this picture, to protect views of our capitol building). Not bad, eh? It's no Toronto or New York, but it's definitely a respectable city.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 8:09 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Deepstar's list is only buildings under construction? I would be very surprised if Houston had 24 highrises under construction right now. Or even in development, for that matter. There isn't much development going on in their downtown. Or Dallas's. We have at least 11 under construction right now (that list seems out-of-date, koops65). But we probably have about 40 either in development or under construction, yeah. Few cities are as hot as Austin, development-wise, right now. Definitely no other city in Texas. Sorry to derail this thread. I just wanted to make sure we got recognized.
The database (updated often) says differently:

Houston Under Construction: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=62833968

Dallas Under Construction: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=62833978

Austin Under Construction: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=62833980

You are correct that his listing missed Austin though.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The database (updated often) says differently:

Houston Under Construction: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=62833968

Dallas Under Construction: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=62833978

Austin Under Construction: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=62833980

You are correct that his listing missed Austin though.
If you look at Houston's projects (or even spend time in their city), though, you'll notice that their projects are almost all located in the middle of nowhere, in the suburban automobile slums. Meaning, they're business parks, not meaningful downtown construction. Dallas is a different story; most of their building projects are located in their (downtown) arts district, which is cool. But all of Austin's are located in our downtown and no city in Texas has as many of these in-the-works as we do. Few in the United States do, in fact.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 8:27 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah, that's Houston for you though. As long as they are going up within city limits, they still count as part of the number of UC projects. I understand what you mean though. Austin's transformation is by far the most noticeable, interesting, and quite possibly the most important currently ongoing in Texas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada