HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Holy Jesus. 'I don't know what he's talking about so I'll assume he is attacking me.' Occam's razor.
What exactly was there not to know about? I don't think it was difficult to understand: you disagreed with my post but added a barbed statement. It's a lame tactic a lot of people employ here when they get too emotional about a certain subject.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 11:38 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

If I were a moderator I'd simply delete everything said between us here but since you brought up the argument that I am affronting you and making offensive remarks about you as a person I feel I need to defend myself so I'm kind of caught between looking like an asshole and not respond but in not responding I'd be doing better for the forum...in which case I'm simply going to resolve that nobody engages in this personal attack nonesense further, ok?

Simply put, I think it's a fairly ridiculous notion to find Aqua to be brilliant but the Mumbai tower gimmicky. I suppose it's all truly subjective but I do not believe it is beyond reason to associate the Mumbai tower to Goldberg. Of course it doesn't strictly follow the modernist philosophy Goldberg practiced, but Goldberg's work was the product of the 60s and 70s, modernism has evolved, and I think that the Mumbai tower and Aqua for that sake are the continuation of his organic design legacy.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 11:54 PM
BANNED

^^^ I can agree with that, but I would add a modification that Aqua is much closer to the old-school modernism we all love so much than the Mumbai building. Aqua follows the philosophy of form follows function by maintaining the highly efficiant box, but jazzing up the necessary, functional balconies in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 2:18 AM
Registered

More depressing projects from New York - Shigeru Ban has joined the list of starchitects doing great residential there. I'd take the Nouvel building in this article over nearly everything that's been built here in the last decade.

I hope someone from the mayor's office stumbles on this thread and gets the wake-up call, but I really wonder if anyone cares?

Another question worth asking, is it possible to do architecture like this at Chicago prices? I would accept this as an answer for the discrepancy, but no one is hiring these architects, so it's hard to know what would be possible. It's almost a shame that the Chicago Spire is so expensive, because if it's a success, the developers will just say, "Oh, he had a great architect because it was the most expensive game in town."

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...03highline.asp

And another one about the Piano / SOM plans for Columbia University (which I think are wrong, but you get the point I'm making):

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...70618piano.asp

Last edited by honte; Jan 4, 2008 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:05 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Some of New York's proposal are exceedingly enviable. However, a lot of their high-profile projects have been watered-down, even beyond recognition.

We'll see, but Chicagos proposals outside of Waldorf, Solstice, and possibly Arqui, are seriously lacking. Projects like GP3 are practically lughable.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:27 AM
Registered

^ The bigger question that I keep asking, how do we generate interest in this kind of architecture here? What needs to happen to bridge the gap? So many projects, so many missed opportunities... It's sad when you fly into Midway and the TVs are touting us as America's "architecture capital," but those on the inside know this won't be an accurate statement in 20 years unless something really changes. We're barely keeping up with Dallas.

Just look at our Olympic bid vs. New York's or the other world cities. It's obvious that Chicago's leadership doesn't know / understand / value truly great design, and it hurts.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:45 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Chicago's Olympic bid is not a good example. We're running a different type of bid.

The general state of architecture is a more accurate measurement. But, I feel until now Chicago has been leading, but perhaps not by much.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:45 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Chicago can be jealous of New Yorks' smaller projects, but trust me New York wishes it had the kind of quality skyscraper design going on in Chicago right now.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:54 AM
Accountz Payabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ The bigger question that I keep asking, how do we generate interest in this kind of architecture here? What needs to happen to bridge the gap? So many projects, so many missed opportunities... It's sad when you fly into Midway and the TVs are touting us as America's "architecture capital," but those on the inside know this won't be an accurate statement in 20 years unless something really changes. We're barely keeping up with Dallas.
I don't think many people actually care. If they care about the vagueness of 'architecture' in any fashion- and they probably don't- they just think of Chicago as the birthplace of the skyscraper and move on.

Architecture critics and art critics are alike in that no one outside their respective fields cares about their opinions much. An NFL or political pundit? You might not follow those fields but you understand they can predict success and whatnot. A building? A painting? You either like it or you don't. Regular folks don't care what the critics in those fields think.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 4:05 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I disagree. Good architecutre creates an environment, wheather people realize it or not.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 7:43 AM

Have you taken a look at the NY pan development thread? There are some winners (Jean Nouvel, obviously) but plenty of losers. In absolute terms, there will always be more construction going on in New York; its population is significantly larger than ours. Thus, in absolute terms, it will produce more striking design. Our most striking -- the Spire, Aqua, Solstice, Spertus, Waldorf, "possibly Arqui" -- as a percentage of our overall new high rise stock is still pretty high. And aside from the occasional Lucien Lagrance monstrosity, most of the rest is very good if not exactly revolutionary: 600 N. Fairbanks, Park, 300 North Lasalle, Trump, Legacy, OMP, etc. Certainly not "exceedingly lacking."

The other part of Alliance's argument, though, is spot on. Look at the big projects in NY: the only truly innovative design in the redevelopment of the World Trade Center is Calatrava's hub. Look at Hudson Yards: none of the proposals are breathtaking in their originality and the best of the lot -- Holl's -- probably won't be selected. Look at Gehry's plans. Look at the NYT tower. A lot of ambition, but a lot that's fallen short, which might not be a big deal were it not for the huge names on board.

You're giving New York a lot more credit than is due.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:42 AM
Registered

^ Ok, I buy this to some degree. Sometimes everyone needs a reality check. But also, there is no denying that NY in particular likes (at least in attempt) to seize most opportunities and make the most of them. I wish Chicago could think like that. I feel like the Daley administration said, "Well, we did Millennium Park, we're done with that design thing."

And the developers in NY are obviously biting to produce good design - I've been asking why, since they are foremost businessmen and as a rule won't do more than they find necessary. Something's in the air - or in the government offices - that makes people want not just to make a decent product, but to produce a revolutionary product. How many developers in Chicago are actually trying to push the bar, rather than just make something decent so they can get paid? I count two, Shelbourne (Chicago Spire) and Antheus Capital (Solstice), and they are both from out of town.

At the Pritzker Pavilion when Thom Mayne accepted the Pritzker prize, Daley concluded his speech by saying something like "I hope some day soon we'll have a Thom Mayne building in our city." Mayne looked like he almost fell out of his chair with disbelief. And I wonder if Mayne's instinct was right? Where is Daley on this? He could have hired Mayne for any of the stupid police or fire stations going up, branch libraries, fieldhouse, what have you.

I would say that Chicago is more level-headed as a city and in our planning. We tend to think more realistically, but what gets built is therefore closer to what was proposed in the first place.

I don't have many complaints about the end result of many of our high-rises. Streeterville, for instance, I think is turning out to be a wonderful place, despite the fact that none of the buildings (aside from the Spire, of course) will be on the cover of any avant-garde design magazines.

As I keep saying, what I think is missing from the Chicago design puzzle is diversity and big name designers. As I said in the OMP thread, one design innovation or new technique introduced can have a profound impact, which can ripple through the entire design community. That's why it's important to bring in the big guns. NY has an easier time with this because most of the international architects like to set up shop there. I can't think of any that have Chicago offices, sadly. And I think that many architects want an NY building in their portfolio, so they probably go out of their way to market themselves there.

Perhaps the Chicago Spire will change a lot of these false perceptions.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Ok, I buy this to some degree. Sometimes everyone needs a reality check. But also, there is no denying that NY in particular likes (at least in attempt) to seize most opportunities and make the most of them. I wish Chicago could think like that. I feel like the Daley administration said, "Well, we did Millennium Park, we're done with that design thing."

And the developers in NY are obviously biting to produce good design - I've been asking why, since they are foremost businessmen and as a rule won't do more than they find necessary. Something's in the air - or in the government offices - that makes people want not just to make a decent product, but to produce a revolutionary product. How many developers in Chicago are actually trying to push the bar, rather than just make something decent so they can get paid? I count two, Shelbourne (Chicago Spire) and Antheus Capital (Solstice), and they are both from out of town.

At the Pritzker Pavilion when Thom Mayne accepted the Pritzker prize, Daley concluded his speech by saying something like "I hope some day soon we'll have a Thom Mayne building in our city." Mayne looked like he almost fell out of his chair with disbelief. And I wonder if Mayne's instinct was right? Where is Daley on this? He could have hired Mayne for any of the stupid police or fire stations going up, branch libraries, fieldhouse, what have you.

I would say that Chicago is more level-headed as a city and in our planning. We tend to think more realistically, but what gets built is therefore closer to what was proposed in the first place.

I don't have many complaints about the end result of many of our high-rises. Streeterville, for instance, I think is turning out to be a wonderful place, despite the fact that none of the buildings (aside from the Spire, of course) will be on the cover of any avant-garde design magazines.

As I keep saying, what I think is missing from the Chicago design puzzle is diversity and big name designers. As I said in the OMP thread, one design innovation or new technique introduced can have a profound impact, which can ripple through the entire design community. That's why it's important to bring in the big guns. NY has an easier time with this because most of the international architects like to set up shop there. I can't think of any that have Chicago offices, sadly. And I think that many architects want an NY building in their portfolio, so they probably go out of their way to market themselves there.

Perhaps the Chicago Spire will change a lot of these false perceptions.
I guess we'll arrive at different conclusions if we have different beliefs about what qualifies as innovative. You mention two projects, I mentioned more. Aqua, I think, is one such design, but both you and Alliance slight it. I'm not sure why. Yes, it's a simple solution but, like Solstice, it's an ingenious one: a standard rectangular prism transformed into one of the most organic structures in the city solely through the extension and reduction of its balconies corresponding to the views from each unit. No ungainly projections. Pragmatic and quintessentially Chicago. I've seen photos and renderings of other buildings that attempt something similar but they all pale in comparison to Gang's design. I said it before but I'll say it again: creating something innovative and functional when given tight parameters (in this case, a stodgy developer and, I'm sure, tight budget) is the true hallmark of good architecture. Architects like Gehry, Calatrava, Foster, Piano and Nouvel have achieved such dizzying levels of fame and success that they're given carte blanche; of course the MoMA, Spire, bandshell and modern wing are going to be beautiful -- function and context aside, there are no real constraints!

Look, for example, at Calatrava's gorgeous addition in Milwaukee. Cost overruns were great but the city LAVISHED money on the man, yes, because they believed in the project, but they believed in the project because of the name. Of course, this is real architecture; but it's operating in somewhat of a vacuum where money is of little concern.

You're looking for big, visionary developments, but, compared to New York, clout and capital are issues in Chicago. Millennium Park was an extraordinary project; the only other city in this country that could have handled it is New York. But it was still a strain on the city -- not necessarily financially, although finances factored prominently in its criticism. But logistically, coordinating. For a recently post-Industrial city, no less! New York, on the other hand, could handle half a dozen Millennium Parks without batting an eye. Something in the air? Aside from particle dust, no: it's a big city, a more developed city, with big name developers, big name investors and a powerful government. It's an older, more mature and, at this point in time, very different beast!

For the same reasons as Aqua, Solstice will be a success. (For the same reason, most of Gang's buildings are a success.) Ditto Waldorf=Astoria. Staybridge Suites, too -- another perfect example, albeit on a humbler scale, of a building on a strict budget with an impressive design. For similar reasons, Spertus was a success. (You really don't think it is?)

I know this is an argument you've heard before, but look at the buildings I listed. They're all local architects. Look at New York's: international starchitects paid for by organizations (WTC, NYT, BoA, MoMA, etc.) with the deepest pockets. Look at our buildings: excepting our crop from starchitects, the structures are innovative but subtle not flashy. Look at what goes up in New York: beautiful but often more flamboyant.

Our city's resources can't yet match those of New York's. Constraints exist in Chicago that don't exist there that have nothing to do with culture. This, I think, is what has historically made and what continues to make Chicago architecture so interesting. It's "real" in a way that New York isn't and, during Chicago's lifetime, really hasn't been.

(Side note, in NO WAY am I knocking New York. Hometown pride aside, I do think it's the best city in the world. But Chicago's developed and continued to develop under very, very different circumstances, and this, more than anything else, is what has contributed, IMO, to the different architectural cultures.)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 10:02 AM

Rereading your response, I really want to emphasize the role of indigenous talent. I don't think it's possible to overstate its importance in our city. We are Gang, Ronan, Garofalo, UrbanLab, Kreuk & Sexton. They are our avant-garde. Local talent schooled in Chicago traditions, a keen sense of the constraints of real building. But they're also young, and just now getting noticed.

People will love the Spire but it's not going to convince developers to pursue that kind of design. And why should it? It's exorbitantly expensive! More than that, prohibitively expensive. Again, architecture without price constraints.

Aqua is what will change minds, not the Spire. Developers will see that, appreciate its innovativeness and understated beauty, and will realize that good design is financially feasible. The effect will be Spertus times ten.

This is how it's always worked in Chicago and frankly I wouldn't want it any other way, least of all an imitation of an inimitable city.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 12:58 PM
Accountz Payabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I disagree. Good architecutre creates an environment, wheather people realize it or not.
Good food creates an enviroment, too, but I don't see people caring much about what a food critic says unless they haven't tried that dish/been to that place yet. If they've already had a dish, no one is gonna care whether some critic likes it or not; they'll only care if they like it. If they've already seen a building, no one is gonna care whether some critic likes it or not; they'll only care if they like it.

I'm sure architecture students, critics, and architects themselves don't like to hear it, but there it is.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 2:48 PM
The City

Extraordinarily interesting discussion here. I applaud you all! That was definitely worth reading through.

Ch G: I basically agree most strongly with your points
Honte: There is some great stuff going up in NYC. I can't deny it, seeing it first hand. But as I've said, there are also a LOT of dull flops. When you create more volume, you create more good and bad.

I would like to point out one thing. There is this emphasis on avant garde and pushing the envelope. Somebody at the 'Chicago: Everything Above 12 stories' thread argued that there has been "no innovation" at Central Station.

But I have to ask a question--is avant garde always the answer? Sometimes I get the opinion that Chicago has recovered from decades of experimentation and simply wants to create liveable places again, hence resorting back to good old fashioned planning. Reintroduce the streetgrid (when possible). Put some retail here, a library there. Build something that looks "nice" and "presentable". Lets face it, guys, Chicago has come a long way but it still can't get away with doing whatever it wants as a city.

Chicago still has a long battle ahead to attract middle-class families back into its neighborhoods. It still has an incredible amount of poverty & crime issues in many neighborhoods. Some people won't invest a penny in certain areas of town. Is this the kind of city that's really in a position to "push the envelope"? Yet somehow, despite all of this, a pretty impressive number of innovate projects have gone (or are going) up, as discussed by you guys above.

Compare that to New York. As others have mentioned, NYC is in a totally different place right now. It's BOOMING. I mean, really BOOMING. Lets get out of the jungle of sickening, gooey, dripping liquid wealth that is Manhattan and even visit the other boroughs, and I will tell you that even while there are certain bad areas, EVERYTHING in NYC (pretty much) and its suburban hinterland is HOT, HOT, HOT real estate. Everybody in the world is descending upon this place for a piece of property. You just don't see vacant swaths of land here, and this place is full to the brim with immigrant families.

My point is, if Chicago had that kind of swagger it could probably more boldly develop its urban spaces, but right now Chicago is understandably "playing it safe" and that's the reality we're dealing with.

Want avant garde architecture? Fix the CTA, fix the schools, get rid of that goddamn Aldermanic prerogative, promote more TOD, and stop hanging on to the old zoning of totally dead former industrial sites that could potentially be kick ass places to live. Chicago isn't an industrial town any more, it's a "I work for a hedge fund downtown and I need to live in a loft near the L" kind of town.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 3:30 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

wow...so much to address.

Well, Chicago understandibly suffers from the ego-complex NYC has (for better or for worse). We have a great economic engine here that will protect us from economic slumps, but we have 10 million people, not 22. We can't expect the continuous level of development New York has. But thats not the point.

We have the ability to produce good architecute too and I don't see one city as beating out the other right now. Most of Chicago's buildings have been residential and there fore subject to cheap architecture. Yet, at the same time, we're looking at 3, possibly 5 RESIDENTIAL supertalls, all with better than average design. Thats something not even heard of in New York (though don't tell then because they might catch on). Yet still, we've been hitting the above average mark rather consistantly. As far as office, 300 is the new tallest office we're getting and its not even complete yet. Of our new office crop (111, Hyatt, 151, 200, and 300) Its a pretty decent crop. Nothing stand out, but all above average. IN fact, Hyatt and 200 are way above average. An no offense to 300 ft spires, but Hyatt and 300 are of comparable height to NYTT and BoFA with out the kitsch and overdramitization that plagues many New York towers (imo).

Other than that, most of the good architecture is from private institutions paying for it. Sorry, but developers like Lowenburg aren't going to pay Nouvel to design a tower. But Chicago DOES NOT NEEED starchitects to build good architecture. We have all the talent we need right here. Gang has two front pagers right now and she has a LONG career a head of her. Kruek and Sexton...Garofalo. They are the next generation and we need to make sure they have reason to produce thier best work in Chicago before they become starchitects.

And yet with a lot of the big projects in New York, Ghery, the Foster Penn Station, even the WTC, they were all scaled back from these initial "give me a headline" proposals. In Chicago, most of our big projects have gone up, the Spire gained 600ft and lost its kitsch, The Grant Park proposals gained 100ft, Waldord gained 150', Arqui maybe 100' too. Chicago developers keep pushing. And I've personally been continuously dissapointed with New Yorks completed headline projects (NYTT and BoFA). Not the case in Chicago. Even Trump has its merits.

Basically, if Aqua, Arqui, the Spire, Waldorf, Staybridge, and Solstice turn out...add them to Spertus, Sofitel, Hyatt...I think we're looking at a great crop.

Regardless, the proposals are getting better. At least we're improving. We're a long way from Park Towers and Park Millenniums.

Sorry this is a big vomit of a post...i tired to address to much.

Daley can be concerned as he wants for the city and go for the future with MP, the Spire, the Olympics. But, unlees the L gets fixed...and I mean TOTAL OVERHAUL fixed, this city will have a declining future. Public trans is the bloodwork of the city and it needs to be revitalized and expanded. THEN we'll see what urban growth is. Chicago is at a threashold here. This needs to be Daley's TOP priority.

Also, this is not bashing. Enlightened discussion comes from honest opinions is a restrained presentation which I have provided.

Last edited by Alliance; Jan 4, 2008 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 4:07 PM

extremely interesting discussions, guys

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 5:47 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Rereading your response, I really want to emphasize the role of indigenous talent. I don't think it's possible to overstate its importance in our city. We are Gang, Ronan, Garofalo, UrbanLab, Kreuk & Sexton. They are our avant-garde. Local talent schooled in Chicago traditions, a keen sense of the constraints of real building. But they're also young, and just now getting noticed.
I have faith in our local design community. But as I said, we need to mix things up a bit. Our present crop of buildings is far too repetitive and it's just not healthy - for the city or the designers themselves.

I agree with all of your comments about cost, and the merits of building an innovative building within budget. But I am not trying to make an argument for flashy, expensive projects - just projects that attempt to push the boundaries a bit. I think Aqua is a nice building, and I am glad to have it. But you can't argue that it is very innovative on a spatial / architectural level. Not much that has been built here in the high-rise realm has done anything special for the city or even the building's own residents, including the Spire. I'm talking about the new kinds of public spaces, interior atria, indoor-outdoor spaces, cladding, finishes, whatever, that you see on some of the better NY projects. Check out the link I posted above again - each of those projects includes something very new that really makes the architecture special - the vertical garage attached to the individual units, Nouvel's green interior atrium that units look out on, Ban's convertible exterior spaces made with various types of doors.

That is the kind of design of a city that is missing here - we are repeating the same formulae: Base with retail, poured concrete tower or parking on top, mechanical on the roof, call it a day. That's not how to make interesting, unique spaces. Spertus might be an exception, but it's design is so close to the work of Portzamparc (and so different from what Krueck+Sexton has been working on for all these years), I am reluctant to call it true innovation. Sure, the curtainwall itself is impressively detailed, which does make my day...

TUP, you're right - Chicago is still recovering from major issues pertaining to (some) poor urban planning and a lot of population hemorrhaging. It's absolutely true that we are not in a position to screw around with Calatrava-designed gondolas and billion-dollar+ train stations. On the other hand, I would point out that Chicago never was richer than New York and never had flashier projects, yet somehow we managed to create unique, amazing neighborhoods and new ways of building within those constraints. This is part of the tradition of Chicago, and I regret that I am not seeing it progress. The community here is pretty stagnant when you look at the large scale - tons and tons of generic, crappy condos eating up our historic building, and the projects that should be special being turned into prototype designs that only dull neighborhoods further. Hence my desire to bring in some super-stars to mix things up and raise the bar a bit.

Last edited by honte; Jan 4, 2008 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2008, 8:36 PM

[QUOTE=honte;3258952 Just look at our Olympic bid vs. New York's or the other world cities. It's obvious that Chicago's leadership doesn't know / understand / value truly great design, and it hurts.[/QUOTE]

Thats regretable. We should never underestimate the influence that major events, such as the Olympics, have on archtitectual direction. Not to mention that this is the city image presented to the world. Remember the arguments over the Columbian Exposition between modern vs classicism? Well we all know who won out and for years after we were getting retro-classical designs all over the country, particularly in public architecture. Wasn't it Sullivan that said the Expo set back modern architecture twenty years? (or something to that effect!).

Last edited by X-fib; Jan 4, 2008 at 8:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture