HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 4:48 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
The mighty steel ribs which support the wings — admittedly an impressive piece of engineering — (Mr. Cuozzo) may frighten small children.
Mr. Cuozzo, you've just lost ALL credibility. You're an egocentric codger; please retire now and hand the torch to 21st Century progressivism.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Couldn't agree more. The hub is a temple to transit, urbanity and the American drive to make big plans. This will become an instant icon. It will have more traffic than the Statue of Liberty, and will pay for itself ten-fold by consumers and tourists. You gotta spend money to make money, which is one simple concept this jackass doesn't understand.
People would use PATH and the retail just as much without the incredibly expensive artistic elements. I don't live in NYC so I can't get mad, but it says a lot about the country when people are struggling to get by and you are taking their money to build something like this. If a private investor wants to build it then that's great, but when it's public money I think it should go towards something that has a more positive effect on the public good (and there are plenty of public transportation projects in NYC that could have used this money).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 2:20 AM
BANNED

^I understand where you're coming from, but this is entirely for the public. Anyone can go here. People with all backgrounds and purposes will use this hub. When plans were laid out, downtown needed this. I know the money spent could have funded several new stations, but will make it's money back for the city. Besides, you can't put a price on inspiration.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 2:36 PM

Grand Central Terminal is as much of a tourist destination as it is a commuter hub. People flock to see the open expanse of granite as commuters hurry past. It's a beautiful building, and really gives a feel for NY culture and lifestyle. I would say Grand Central is a must-see stop when visiting the city.

Penn Station is an equally impressive transit center ferrying over 600,000 weekly commuters in and out of the city. But what tourist in their right mind would visit Penn unless they had to? Madison Square Garden above, sure, but Penn? It's ugly claustrophobic hallways certainly don't scream 'national landmark'. While the Apple store in GCT caters to rail passengers and tourists alike, the shops of Penn see virtually zero non-passenger foot traffic.

The Port Authority and NYC had an option after 9/11. The original WTC Mall was one of the busiest in the city and the WTC was already one of the most trafficked tourist destinations. The original mall was ugly and poorly laid out. The thousands of daily PATH / Subway commuters seeped in through dingy back hallways and tight stairways. They had the opportunity to fix all that and they certainly did.

The new transit hub, oculus, and mall, are beautifully designed. With the oculus having more open space than GCT, they become destinations to seek out and experience. Look at the shops that will be moving in. They aren't news stands and shoe shine booths, but designer outlets and high end brands.

I have to disagree with Mr. Cuozzo. I think what is being built is perfect for where and what it is. I've been following its construction and honestly will and do go out of my way to walk past / through it. The cathedral like oculus will dazzle visitors for decades.

Could $4Bn have been better spent elsewhere? Probably, however as left and right companies scale back their workforce and raise prices while shrinking products, I'm glad to see this daring undertaking and appreciation for the art and visual value rather than simple cold hard economic realities.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 4:06 PM
weidncol

Brookfield across the street is the high end brands, Westfield WTC (The mall name) will try and be a mix of shops for all, since the WTC is a high tourist attraction.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 4:43 PM

Cuozzo is an idiot. People were critical of the Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty and ESB as well, but no single piece of criticism can be used as a black mark against journalism because critics are (and were) generally too intelligent to cast such bold aspersions when reviewing something that will take 50-60 years to establish its meritocratic place in the city. This drivel is not only evidence of Cuozzo's ineptitude, and further proof that the paper he works for is as valuable as used toilet paper, but a black mark on critical journalism as a profession.

For shame

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 1:50 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 7:32 AM

if you go to the 911memorial website (dot org I think)
the webcam is very good
check out the panorama quality very good

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 3:16 PM

You think for 4.5 billion, they could have made the signals a bit better looking, especially as they block the fancy artwork on the paneling.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 4:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
You think for 4.5 billion, they could have made the signals a bit better looking, especially as they block the fancy artwork on the paneling.
That's been discussed about many times several months back. It's a bummer, maybe they will relocate the signal eventually.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 8:03 PM

World Trade Center Transit Hub on August 10, 2014

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 9:13 PM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 10:22 PM

great video lecom, thanks

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 11:24 PM

Was the original subway station under the old WTC in this exact spot or did they have to reconfigure the entire track alignment for this?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:55 PM

The 1 train runs pretty much straight across the site. The entire tunnel / station was removed and rebuilt. The station is in the same spot it was before.

The PATH was also entirely demolished and rebuilt. The station platforms are in the same place they were before, and the tunnel path was widened a bit to give a smoother curve and allow for more tracks.

The other related subway lines (E, R) are outside the footprint and were undamaged.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 4:33 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:43 PM
BANNED

It's worth noting that the Wing work is just about 50% complete. They seem to be on pace for about 2 wings per day.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:13 PM

As of 8/22 they had installed 53 of 114 rafters (57 on each side), so they could have very well crossed the halfway point by now. They were ahead by 5 rafters on the north side compared to the south side on 8/1 and I think they're still a bit ahead.

The rafters that are being delivered on site now weigh in at over 70,000lbs each!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:54 AM

From today...In the first two pics, if you look near where the retractable sunroof will be, it looks like they have possibly begun painting the interior white...can anyone confirm this?

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Good to see crews working on welding during nighttime..(photo taken around 9)

[/URL]

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:12 AM

A few of the memorial and museum...Museum was excellent with great exhibits. I spent well over three hours in there and covered maybe 2/3rds of the material. It did get a little overcrowded with people, but overall it was good. Memorial was beautiful, especially since i saw it for the first time at night. Security did show up around 9 and were not letting people in the plaza due to closing time. If you havent been to the museum and memorial, i would definitely recommend taking the trip downtown

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

North Tower Antenna
[/URL]

[/URL]

Worker fixing a name plate
[/URL]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture