HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:00 PM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
Wiley says Portland, Oregon’s system is one to be modeled for what Sacramento has in mind.
so does that mean the streetcars will have the modern look rather than the vintage look?

'cause if it is, then i'm a happy camper. i prefer the newer modern look.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:07 PM

Gov workers etc already park under wx freeway and take buses to dt.....the 141 an the 142

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriankage View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one. I think going across the bridge should be at the top of the list.
You have Raley Field on the other side of the river and Raley Landing starting to be developed along with thousands of lofts, townhouses and condos planned along with businesses in the works.
Plus, if you put the line in, people in West Sac (especially South Port) will be more likely to use the system, if they work in the Central City.
We have to stop thinking about Sac only on transportation issues and think regionally. We should be thinking of the river as a street in the central city that needs to be crossed. Both cities need to develop the infastructure now instead of waiting and planning (which Sacramentans love to do) for it.
Just my two cents.
You bring up great points and I'm just as excited about West Sac's rapid growth and the need to connect it with the central core as you. However, the streetcar needs to generate revenue now not in the potential future. Starting the first phase of streetcar development in the urban core makes sense because these areas can sustain it in the near-term. The streetcar would help facilitate growth in West Sac but it won't generate revenue in West Sac. Finally the urban core needs this now. The development, residential population, bars, clubs, boutiques, theatres, hotels etc. are here now and need a streetcar system.

But you have a strong argument. I would like the whole project completed now with West Sac on-board but if money is an issue, which it is, I suggest starting with the urban core and moving to West Sac later.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:34 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
Gov workers etc already park under wx freeway and take buses to dt.....the 141 an the 142
uh-huh.... then i guess it's a good idea, right. anyway the entire premise of the buses was to follow the streetcar routes. now the plan should be to replace the buses that took over and ran the whole system into the ground.

anyway.. i guess the point of reinstating the streetcar is not to supply a means of transportation for existing neighborhoods, but rather to stimulate new growth - as described here.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownserg89 View Post
so does that mean the streetcars will have the modern look rather than the vintage look?

'cause if it is, then i'm a happy camper. i prefer the newer modern look.
Portland purchased its streetcars from a company in the Czech Republic. They look modern and European. That would be wonderful if we can get a similar type of streetcar from a European country. Imagine if you could roll down K st. at night on Second Saturday in a modern European streetcar with a group of art-lovers. It's projects like this that bring the country's focus to medium-sized cities.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:36 PM

Air Canada plans Vancouver-to-Sacramento flights
By Clint Swett - Bee Staff Writer
Published 1:07 pm PDT Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)

Sacramento International Airport landed its second international carrier Tuesday when Air Canada announced it would begin two daily nonstops between the capital and Vancouver, B.C., beginning June 15.

The announcement culminates the airport's efforts to lure Air Canada that date back to 2001.

"We want to expand our options for customers," said airport spokeswoman Gina Swankie. "We wanted to give them another nonstop destination."

Plans call for the Montreal-based carrier to fly one early morning and one late afternoon departure to Vancouver aboard 50-seat Bombardier regional jets. Flights from Vancouver will arrive in mid-afternoon and late evening.

Sacramento's first international flights began in 2002 when Mexicana Airlines began nonstop service to Guadalajara. The carrier now has 12 weekly flights to three Mexican destinations. Last March, Frontier Airlines began flying three times a week between Sacramento and Cabo San Lucas.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:39 PM

City delays vote on $10 million loan to Aura tower
Bee Metro Staff
Last Updated 1:24 pm PDT Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Sacramento City Council postponed until March 20 a vote on a three-year, $10 million loan to ensure the city's first downtown high-rise condominium is constructed.

Developer Craig Nassi in February asked for the city loan to bridge a funding gap in his $175.8 million Aura Condominiums project brought on by escalating construction costs.

The city previously had scheduled the vote for Tuesday.

Nassi is proposing a 39-story building to include 268 housing units, 328 parking spaces and more than 14,000 square feet of retail space.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:43 PM
West bench livin'

Two thoughts: How much different and/or feasible would it be for RT's Lightrail car plant here in Sacramento to build a trolley fleet in addition to the RT cars? I recall reading a year or so ago that our plant is now building cars for other cities. What's wrong with them building a distinctly Sacramento Trolley born and bred right here?

On the second thought, if West Sac was to fund the Yolo side of the river with the trolley, anyone want to bet on which city has their side done first? Okay, that was low. Seriously, with all the expansion in South Port and the Triangle, I think that NOW would be the time for Chris Calbadon and company to lay in the infrastructure for a line to the South Port Center (Linden and Jefferson BLVD). West Sac already has a West Capitol Avenue revitalization plan that calls for trolleys up and down the wide median (it's somewhere on West Sac's site or I've got a copy saved somewhere). Can't wait.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:44 PM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
Bee Metro Staff

The Sacramento City Council postponed until March 20 a vote on a three-year, $10 million loan to ensure the city's first downtown high-rise condominium is constructed.

Developer Craig Nassi in February asked for the city loan to bridge a funding gap in his $175.8 million Aura Condominiums project brought on by escalating construction costs.

Nassi is proposing a 39-story building to include 268 housing units, 328 parking spaces and more than 14,000 square feet of retail space.
dammit! ashflbgldbgasKasggsdbgasDBGdgs.asdbvusvagf.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:48 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Bee Metro Staff

Ahh, geezzz... will the drama from any of the residential towers ever give
us a break? I know last week all the city council people wanted to meet with
the AURA people in person to go over a few things, maybe not all the meeting
happen so the date to vote was pushed back one week

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:51 PM
my posse's on broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
Seriously, with all the expansion in South Port and the Triangle, I think that NOW would be the time for Chris Calbadon and company to lay in the infrastructure for a line to the South Port Center (Linden and Jefferson BLVD). West Sac already has a West Capitol Avenue revitalization plan that calls for trolleys up and down the wide median (it's somewhere on West Sac's site or I've got a copy saved somewhere). Can't wait.
i guess that's what green midtown and i am trying to say - it's kinda weak to use the streetcar idea to stimulate new growth, when a first stage serving existing neighborhoods could provide instant usage and profit.

the local plant that builds light rail and streetcars is Siemen's. It would make perfect sense to purchase the streetcars from them, but who knows?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:56 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Bee Metro Staff

<sigh>

I would be lying if i said that this was a surprise. Nothing comes easy or timely in Sacramento, even when all the ducks are in order.

I wont even begin to speculate what the cause of the delay is.

Oh well, it's seven more days for the city councils final decision and a mere 18 more days until the drop dead date.

One way or the other we'll know where this thing is headed by the end of the month.

But in regards to having the foundation poured by April (assuming they mean the end of April), it's not going to happen by then.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Mar 13, 2007 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
i guess that's what green midtown and i am trying to say - it's kinda weak to use the streetcar idea to stimulate new growth, when a first stage serving existing neighborhoods could provide instant usage and profit.

the local plant that builds light rail and streetcars is Siemen's. It would make perfect sense to purchase the streetcars from them, but who knows?
Nice, I like the look of their streetcars. It'd be nice if Siemens helped lobby on Sacramento's behalf for funding. Another thing going for Sac according to the audio clip is its flatness. A streetcar system could be built cheaper and faster here than most cities due to our despised geography.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:24 PM
Kodachrome

I hope the design of the street cars we get here is kinda like what they have
down in San Diego... a classic older design. What ever we have put in, it
needs to be easily disguised apart from the Light Rail cars which are modern looking.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:26 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
I hope the design of the street cars we get here is kinda like what they have
down in San Diego... a classic older design. What ever we have put in, it
needs to be easily disguised apart from the Light Rail cars which are modern looking.

I agree...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:29 PM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerDistrict View Post
oh dang, siemens has really cool street cars! sac really needs them, i think a street car on j or l street would look cool, but would be very difficult.

16th st would be kinda cool too. you could like visit all the restaurants, start from willies on broadway and work your way up midtown till you get to 16th & F and have some frank's hot wok chinese food!

..or a mcdonalds streetcar wouldnt hurt!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 10:02 PM
Capricamento

First off, DTSerge, nice job on the Alhambra & T rendering...even though it sucked, it's still 10 times better than the current proposal.

I hear the talk of the street car from Sac City officials would run in a 'U' shaped configuration approximately along Front St. to Broadway to Alhambra (serving Serge's alternative lifestyle club condo...there's your name; "Club Condo"). But the City of West Sac has been the real champion behind this streetcar effort.

So while we all want to see a streetcar line serve Midtown and DT Sac, West Sac will definately be in the initial track configuration. And really, why shouldn't they be. West Sac is actually building high density housing in their DT grid, while Sac is struggling to keep its pretty pictures from joining Metro Place in the R.I.P. pile.

Now, please don't take this as a pessimistic view on Sac, I'm a true beleiver that we will overcome. But at the same time, don't discount the progress that our little sister across the river has made in recent years. For instance; http://www.riverssidehomes.com/ and the Lofts at Ironworks by http://www.regishomessacramento.com/ . Plus keep an eye open for news on this major redevelopment in West Sac. http://www.cityofwestsacramento.org/...20Brochure.pdf

All the while, Sac has many many many plans in place, please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the only new condo/townhouse for sale project actually being built in Sactown http://www.sigprop.com/nbds/village/index.html . I love the new rental product we have at 1801 L, 800 J, St. Anton etc. but no new condos have risen yet.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 10:12 PM

In addtion to Washington Park Village you mentioned, L Street Lofts, North End Lofts, 21st and T Townhomes, Marriot Condos, and a few at 14th and R are for sale. That's about 200.

EDIT: Are SoCap Lofts for sale? If so that's another 36. I think the project at 16th and H is for sale too, that's 50 more.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 10:18 PM
BUFF$LUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRising View Post
First off, DTSerge, nice job on the Alhambra & T rendering...even though it sucked, it's still 10 times better than the current proposal.

I hear the talk of the street car from Sac City officials would run in a 'U' shaped configuration approximately along Front St. to Broadway to Alhambra (serving Serge's alternative lifestyle club condo...there's your name; "Club Condo"). But the City of West Sac has been the real champion behind this streetcar effort.

So while we all want to see a streetcar line serve Midtown and DT Sac, West Sac will definately be in the initial track configuration. And really, why shouldn't they be. West Sac is actually building high density housing in their DT grid, while Sac is struggling to keep its pretty pictures from joining Metro Place in the R.I.P. pile.

Now, please don't take this as a pessimistic view on Sac, I'm a true beleiver that we will overcome. But at the same time, don't discount the progress that our little sister across the river has made in recent years. For instance; http://www.riverssidehomes.com/ and the Lofts at Ironworks by http://www.regishomessacramento.com/ . Plus keep an eye open for news on this major redevelopment in West Sac. http://www.cityofwestsacramento.org/...20Brochure.pdf

All the while, Sac has many many many plans in place, please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the only new condo/townhouse for sale project actually being built in Sactown http://www.sigprop.com/nbds/village/index.html . I love the new rental product we have at 1801 L, 800 J, St. Anton etc. but no new condos have risen yet.
aw thanks! you're always so kind. i like club condo. the name itself makes we want to dance. and dang, street cars will run all the way by that area? that's pretty cool. i guess i better update.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
In addtion to Washington Park Village you mentioned, L Street Lofts, North End Lofts, 21st and T Townhomes, Marriot Condos, and a few at 14th and R are for sale. That's about 200.

EDIT: Are SoCap Lofts for sale? If so that's another 36. I think the project at 16th and H is for sale too, that's 50 more.

plus another 36 (I think) at Whiskey Hill at 22 & S. There's also six units at 21 & S, and some of the Alchemy at 26 & R are for sell. In fact, I'm sure there's dozens more that we still haven't mentioned.

The high-rise condos tend to catch the spotlight, but there's ALL KINDS of smaller for-sale infill being constructed right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area