HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 9:26 PM
-

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but will the new Superdome Lights be turned on this weekend? I know it was supposed to be some time in September but since none of the games are at night I wasnt sure when they planned to do it!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
You all think so? I Like ardecila's idea, but unless you move the entrance to the port you'd still be funneling traffic back into a two lane at Felicity. It'll just add more lanes and signal phases to the mix. I guess you can always reopen the Louisiana and Napoleon gates, but you can bet uptown communters won't be happy if you can convince truckers to skip the truckway entrance.

It'll definitetly benefit anything that is developed between S. Peters and the river from the Convention Center to Wal-Mart. From there on it'll be tricky.
Shifting traffic onto S. Peters will only remove traffic from Tchoup/Religious. Nobody's trying to squeeze more traffic through that intersection, just to connect it better with downtown.

Also: could they extend the truckway to Race? Henderson would be better but Mardi Gras World is in the way.

Lastly: it irks me that Wal-Mart closed the intersection at St. Mary only to put in a new one 50 feet away. I know the sight lines aren't optimal at the curve on Tchoup, but traffic should not be going that fast until after Jackson.

Last edited by ardecila; Sep 21, 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Shifting traffic onto S. Peters will only remove traffic from Tchoup/Religious. Nobody's trying to squeeze more traffic through that intersection, just to connect it better with downtown.
The other poster was saying that it would relieve traffic. Most of the traffic in the stretch are trucks coming from the expressway and traffic to Wal-Mart. Extending S. Peters would allow traffic going Uptown to avoid all of that, but they would all have to meet up at that one spot. It would probably work better to have traffic Tchoup follow S. Peters with Religous/Tchoup/Felicity turning to the river to meet it with a simple 3-way intersection.

I always feel like I'm coming off the wrong way here, but I hope I'm not. But anyway I think it's either or. The streetgrid or traffic.

Quote:
Also: could they extend the truckway to Race? Henderson would be better but Mardi Gras World is in the way.
I don't see why they couldn't. The port doesn't seem to be using that stretch of the wharves for anything. Add a signal at Race and Tchoup (which is needed anyway) and it may not be so bad.

Quote:
Lastly: it irks me that Wal-Mart closed the intersection at St. Mary only to put in a new one 50 feet away. I know the sight lines aren't optimal at the curve on Tchoup, but traffic should not be going that fast until after Jackson.
I feel the exact same way.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's probably too late now, but honestly I think Henderson Street should be eliminated and the new convention center wing be directly attached to the old one. ORANGE Street should then be a wide, grand boulevard between the River and Tchop, making it very easy for trucks to use it as well, coming from the port, heading to I-10. I would say Race St., but according to the Convention Center master plan, Phase IV takes over and incorporates Race St.

Also, the plans show a new road running all the way to present day Henderson St. This plus a connected Orange St. would give Mardi Gras World a nice new entrance, instead of the maze you have to enter now.

**Minor piece of trivia, but Coliseum St. and Race St. get their names because originally there was going to be a horse racing track where Coliseum Square is today.**

Last edited by Blitzen; Sep 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 5:26 PM
-

A few permits pulled today:

Commercial Renovation (Non-Structural)
Work Location 514 CITY PARK AVE
SUITE B
NEW ORLEANS LA 70124
Project Description:
RENOVATE EXISTING FAST FOOD RESTAURANT(TACO DEL MAR) AS PER PLANS.

Record 11COM-01367 :
Work Location 881 CONVENTION CENTER BLVD
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

Project Description:
INTERIOR FINISH UPDATE AND LIMITED NON-STRUCTURAL RENOVATIONS TO EXISTING HOTEL AS PER PLANS. NO EXTERIOR WORK ALLOWED UNDER THIS PERMIT.
$3,621,205.00

Record 11COM-01366 :
Description:
Work Location 881 CONVENTION CENTER BLVD
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

Project Description:
EXTERIOR IMPROVEMENT TO THE HYATT PLACE HOTEL AT CONVENTION CENTER AS PER PLANS AND HDLCP-11-1162. SIGNAGE REQUIRES A SEPERATE PERMIT.
Job Value($):
$325,297.00

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 5:56 PM

New Retail on Elysian Fields?

Hey Guys,

I'm new here, but have been reading the posts for months trying to stay abreast of the goings on in the city. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about what is coming to the site of the old Popeyes in the 6300 block of Elysian Fields. I was going to work one morning and noticed that it had been completely demolished and I think it was yesterday that I saw a fence put up.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...ed=0CB0Q8gEwAA

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 7:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm new here, but have been reading the posts for months trying to stay abreast of the goings on in the city. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about what is coming to the site of the old Popeyes in the 6300 block of Elysian Fields. I was going to work one morning and noticed that it had been completely demolished and I think it was yesterday that I saw a fence put up.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...ed=0CB0Q8gEwAA
This is the permit but it unfortunately doesnt say what the brand is. i do know a Waffle House is going up down the street though.
lol However, i took the liberty to google the architects and discovered they are the ones designing the Scooters Chicken Stores... Id bet that is what this will be

Heres an idea of what the stores look like

Work Location 6232 ELYSIAN FIELDS AVE
NEW ORLEANS LA 70122

Contractor:
JEROME MOUTON
MOUTON + LONG ARCHITECTS
601 PAPWORTH AVE
METAIRIE, LA, 70005-0000
Home Phone: 504-838-8091
Fax: 504-835-0653
ARCHITECT 03REG-16864

Project Description:
NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A 1-STORY FAST FOOD RESTAURANT AS PER PLANS.
Additional Information
Job Value($):
$335,000.00Number of Buildings:
1Public Owned:
No
Application Information
COM_BLDGNEWExisting Use: Vacant Lot
Proposed Use: Fast Food Service
HDLC/VCC: -N/A-
No. of Commercial Units: 1
No. of Floors: 1

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 8:14 PM

Looks like the ARK building in the Marigny is going to start renovation into apartments soon. I've always liked this building and can't wait to see it shine again.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...lection-update

Also, looks like the Council voted yes to the Kailas development on Canal.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Council-vo...130380778.html

Last edited by rcp11889; Sep 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Looks like the ARK building in the Marigny is going to start renovation into apartments soon. I've always liked this building and can't wait to see it shine again.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/blog...lection-update

Also, looks like the Council voted yes to the Kailas development on Canal.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Council-vo...130380778.html
Great news about both of these projects!!

I've always thought the ARK building was underutilized and should become new apartments. Residents will have off-street parking, and be able to enjoy the new Riverfront Park once opened.

As far as Woolworth's, according to the article they will only be allowed 70' on the Iberville Street side, 147' on the Canal Street side, and 190' in the middle. I don't see that as a bad compromise. Hopefully one day that ugly parking garage on Rampart will be stores and townhomes, and the sun will reach the street.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post

What do you think has kept the Lower Garden District from really having continued success in redeveloping/gentrifying. I'm thinking particularly about the part on the riverside of Camp, downriver of Felicity, upriver of the Expressway, and on the lake side of Annunciation (although there's lots of properties needing renovation and rebirth between Coliseum and St. Charles, as well). It's unfair to say that it isn't a nice neighborhood already -- there are a ton of beautiful blocks within that. But it doesn't seem to have lived up to its potential. It's incredibly convenient to the CBD; it has a beautiful park in Coliseum Square (and the possibility of a beautiful park in Annunciation Square); and the crime (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't seem to be too terrible, particularly after the closing of St. Thomas.

So what's the deal? Is it that it was just stymied for so long by the projects and is just now getting its footing? Is it that the underutilization of the river has stopped it from reaching its full potential? Does Central City crime spill over? Is it just waiting for the spark of the Market Street Power Plant redevelopment to the South? Does the upzoning of the lots on the river side actually prevent redevelopment, because current land owners have dollar signs in their eyes and are asking unrealistic prices (this probably is the case for vacant landowners everywhere in New Orleans)?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 2:33 PM

Lgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
What do you think has kept the Lower Garden District from really having continued success in redeveloping/gentrifying. I'm thinking particularly about the part on the riverside of Camp, downriver of Felicity, upriver of the Expressway, and on the lake side of Annunciation (although there's lots of properties needing renovation and rebirth between Coliseum and St. Charles, as well). It's unfair to say that it isn't a nice neighborhood already -- there are a ton of beautiful blocks within that. But it doesn't seem to have lived up to its potential. It's incredibly convenient to the CBD; it has a beautiful park in Coliseum Square (and the possibility of a beautiful park in Annunciation Square); and the crime (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't seem to be too terrible, particularly after the closing of St. Thomas.

So what's the deal? Is it that it was just stymied for so long by the projects and is just now getting its footing? Is it that the underutilization of the river has stopped it from reaching its full potential? Does Central City crime spill over? Is it just waiting for the spark of the Market Street Power Plant redevelopment to the South? Does the upzoning of the lots on the river side actually prevent redevelopment, because current land owners have dollar signs in their eyes and are asking unrealistic prices (this probably is the case for vacant landowners everywhere in New Orleans)?
----------------------------------------

I really dont' think there's much holding it back, but yes it definitely hasn't developed to its full potential. I actually did my big project for my real estate class at Loyola on a property across the street from the school at Jackson and Annunciation. I cited the value of the building, above sea level location, proximity to downtown/ magazine / interstate / etc and that it should be an up and coming neighborhood. Basically, everything is right for people to start picking up houses in the area and renovating them.

I got a 98 on it...almost made me want to cry (Ron Christner is a freaking hardass....fantastic teacher but he WILL NOT give you a grade you dont deserve... I cringed when i got a 74 on a test and looked at my buddy who got a 28...).

So, with his seal of approval I definitely think the area is still lying in wait for someone with a few bucks to start buying up some places and redoing them.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 4:24 PM
TL;DR

I really don't understand why that area hasn't took off. It is by far my favorite neighborhood in the city... right now it looks as if I may be living there come January. Barthelemy Lafon is directly responsible for this, having created an amazing plan that balances green space with private development and puts important buildings at significant locations.

What I do know is that "auto-oriented retail" is NOT what this neighborhood needs. Fortunately, the Market Street people seemed like they were on track to repeat Midtown Miami, which handles parking very well and in a relatively urban manner.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 4:52 PM

BioInnovation Center

I love the concept for this building in that it houses startups and venture capitalists.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...tion_cent.html

Biomedical economy in New Orleans gets big boost

The New Orleans BioInnovation Center, a new building of labs and offices aiming to help university researchers commercialize scientific findings, is "just the beginning" of the city's nascent biomedical economy, Mayor Mitch Landrieu said in a speech at the center's dedication ceremony Thursday.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 6:31 PM
-

I think its great seeing a sign on a building saying " New Orleans Bio Innovation Center"... for too long this city has allowed itself to be viewed in one way. Think its time we advertise the many other oppurtunities here

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTwins View Post
I love the concept for this building in that it houses startups and venture capitalists.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...tion_cent.html

Biomedical economy in New Orleans gets big boost

The New Orleans BioInnovation Center, a new building of labs and offices aiming to help university researchers commercialize scientific findings, is "just the beginning" of the city's nascent biomedical economy, Mayor Mitch Landrieu said in a speech at the center's dedication ceremony Thursday.
Was looking for some pics of the finished building in light of the grand opening. These are a few I found along with some renderings. Feel free to post any more. Love the overall look of the building and agree its very refreshing to see something new in New Orleans.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 8:35 PM
-

New website for the retail/apartment project on Julia and St Charles:

http://thejulianola.com/

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
New website for the retail/apartment project on Julia and St Charles:

http://thejulianola.com/

Are they planning on doing anything with that parking lot across the street? I think this project was great, if I had the money I would infill a lot of lots in the city with projects like this one

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 9:21 PM

Ochsner to relocate 500 jobs to Benson Tower

Citing its "continued growth," Ochsner will relocate 500 to 750 of its administrative employees to Benson Tower by March 2012, a representative for the health system said today. As the move will only affect those working in Ochsner's "executive, corporate and other business functions," it will not affect patient services, said Bill Ward, vice president of Ochsner Health System facilities, real estate and support services, in an email...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...00_jobs_t.html

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 12:56 AM

Lower Garden District

I agree that the Lower Garden District is not living up to its potential. I'm reminded of an architecture book I picked up at the Garden District Book Shop, titled New Orleans Architecture Vol. 1: The Lower Garden District that was published in 1971. Even back then they were saying that "This little-known part of New Orleans should be quickly brought to the attention of our own people, as well as our visitors, while there is still something left of it to be seen." And as New Orlean's "first semi-urban residential area", the LGD "contains townhouses, row houses, galleried residences, chruches, commericaial buidlings and warehouses of the antebellum period to the turn of the century which can be rehabilitated for twentieth century use, adding distinction to the entire locale and further insurance for the survival of New Orleans' inner city."

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
This is the permit but it unfortunately doesnt say what the brand is. i do know a Waffle House is going up down the street though.
lol However, i took the liberty to google the architects and discovered they are the ones designing the Scooters Chicken Stores... Id bet that is what this will be

Heres an idea of what the stores look like

Thanks tennis! Now is the Waffle House going across the street from the Wendy's on Robert E. Lee and Elysian Fields? Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations