HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 5:24 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I'm surprised to see that the Y-shaped columns are still being used in light of their failings on the SE Valley Line. Is it known if any changes have been made to the design based on recent experience?
Different contractor and from what I am told a much more robust design/engineering.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 4:12 PM
gettin' rich!

Edmonton Valley Line Youtube Video

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 4:23 PM
Community Guy

Great vid.

It's a really nice new leg, connects a massive part of the city, a major hospital, has a stop in the river valley (skiing, golfing, festivals, riverboat) and is a great neighbourhood connection to a mall/grocery for those without a car.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 4:28 PM
Change is good

Surprised they didn't add ctrain along side skytrain.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 4:29 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Great vid.

It's a really nice new leg, connects a massive part of the city, a major hospital, has a stop in the river valley (skiing, golfing, festivals, riverboat) and is a great neighbourhood connection to a mall/grocery for those without a car.
golfing? Where's the closest golf course?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 5:25 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
golfing? Where's the closest golf course?
Millwoods Golf Course? A casual 40-minute walk with golf bags from the Millbourne/Woodvale LRT Stop lol.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 6:49 PM
Community Guy

You can LRT to Chinatown and quick bus or cab down to Riverside or hop on the bus at Churchill and walk down to Victoria.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 8:37 PM
Change is good

Quote:
You can LRT to Chinatown and quick bus or cab down to Riverside or hop on the bus at Churchill and walk down to Victoria.

nice try, fail. but yea no. This is not a benefit of the new line. You could do that already.\

It's like saying you can use our LRT to get to the airport. Sure, you can, but you still need to hop on a quick bus, or cab, or umm walk. for a long long ways,.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I don't even think you'd do that. No one will do that.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 1:26 AM

Vancouver Broadway update

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 4:48 PM
Community Guy

Another milestone in Edmonton's expansion plans with it serving as the terminus before a future NW line is approved to St.Albert.

This station will also serve the future Blatchford neighbourhood on the former municipal airport lands and NAIT polytechnic.

---

NAIT/Blatchford Market Station opens ahead of schedule
January 16, 2024

The City of Edmonton is pleased to announce Phase 1 of the Metro Line Northwest LRT extension has been completed on budget and more than a year ahead of schedule. On January 20, the new NAIT/Blatchford Market LRT station will open for passenger service, and the temporary NAIT LRT station will close.

Phase 1 construction was originally anticipated to be complete in 2025, but was completed in December 2023.

“Completing Phase 1 of the Metro Line Northwest LRT extension ahead of schedule is a significant infrastructure milestone to serve our growing needs,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “This extension further strengthens our LRT network and provides the north side of Edmonton with greater access to transit service.”

The NAIT/Blatchford Market LRT station will serve as a critical mass-transit connection into the city’s downtown core for the 30,000 future Edmontonians living in Blatchford, the adjacent Westwood community and the growing student population at NAIT.

The new NAIT/Blatchford Market LRT station is approximately 300 metres west of the temporary NAIT station and has a longer platform to accommodate ridership growth. The added service capacity provides the option of using up to five-car trains on the Metro Line to better serve students and residents travelling to and from the area. Service frequency and bus service to the new station will remain unchanged compared to service to the temporary NAIT station. Salvaging of materials and other demolition activities will commence at the temporary NAIT station in the coming weeks.

“It is with great pleasure to see the first phase of the Edmonton Metro Line LRT Expansion completed, and with it, the official opening of the new, permanent NAIT/Blatchford Market station,” said the Honourable Randy Boissonnault, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Official Languages and Member of Parliament for Edmonton Centre, on behalf of the Honourable Sean Fraser Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities of Canada. “The larger station will benefit students of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, future residents of the Blatchford neighbourhood and bring this LRT network one step closer to connecting communities for Edmontonians.”

“Alberta’s government remains committed to supporting transit in this province. We are pleased to see this significant step forward in the Metro Line Northwest LRT with the opening of the NAIT/Blatchford Market LRT station ahead of schedule and on budget,” said Devin Dreeshen, Minister of Transportation and Economic Corridors.

At each stage of the project, the Metro Line Northwest extension applied an urban LRT design philosophy, focusing on sustainability and seamless integration of LRT with the adjacent land, including Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED).

The design features fewer barriers and focuses on improved access to LRT infrastructure for all transit users. A shared-use path runs along the full length of the extension and connects to shared-use paths at 118 Avenue and 123 Avenue, providing safer access to the City’s active transportation network to the east along 106 Street. Finally, the NAIT/Blatchford Market station is equipped with solar panels to supply up to two-thirds of the station’s electricity needs, contributing to the City’s green building initiatives.

The newly built Blatchford Gate LRT station is located further north along the alignment. It will open for service when the criteria for the City’s Transit Service Standards—which recommend how and when to add more service—is met.

The total budget for Metro Line Phase 1 is approximately $291 million. The construction is funded with the following contributions: Government of Canada, through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program ($103 million); Government of Alberta ($107 million); and City of Edmonton ($58 million). The planning and design phases were previously completed with contributions by all three levels of government.

LRT projects such as the Metro Line extension are critical as the City gradually shifts Edmonton’s mobility network to provide a variety of more sustainable travel options as Edmonton grows into a city of two million people.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/metrolinenw

Media contact:
Alastair Lillico
Communications Coordinator
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-289-2110

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Vancouver Broadway update
This is the BEST transit construction channel in existence.

If fact it’s better than anything a government agency or broadcast company with a massive budget could produce. From his voice, to the clear explanations, the efforts he goes to get the best possible angle including drone footage. He also takes the diagrams/construction plans and shows you exactly what that looks like in real construction video, plus taking the time to show you one year apart so you can see the progress instead of just looking at a hole in the ground. The man is a genius.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 5:16 AM

The Ontario government announced today that it is moving ahead with an LRT extension along Hurontario from Steeles to Brampton City Centre which has a regional GO station as well as a VIA stop. On a wider note this will create a rapid transit line connecting several rapidly developing nodes that are outside but connected to the GTHA's central core in Toronto. Also there has been some discussion of moving the VIA stop from Oakville to Port Credit which is the southern terminus of the under construction phase 1 of the Hurontario LRT which would be great.

Last edited by rdaner; Jan 19, 2024 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 2:59 PM

^
Also going to restore the cancelled loop through Mississauga City Centre, where currently it just skates through along Hurontario. Great news, this announcement.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 11:28 PM
gettin' rich!

I was thinking today about all of the rail construction that's happening in Toronto and I was thinking in particular about the multimodal Rail stations that we will have in Toronto right now there are just a few but once these projects are done we're going to have so many multimodal Rail stations and I thought like I would give an idea of them right here:

1.Kennedy Station
Go Rail
Subway
ECLRT

2. Kipling Station
GO rail
Subway TTC

3. Dundas West
GO Rail / UP Express
Subway TTC

4. Eglinton Station
Subway TTC
ECLRT

5. Leslie Station
Subway TTC
GO Rail

6. Union Station
GO Rail / UP Express / VIA Amtrack
Subway TTC
Lakeshore/Harbourfront LRT

7. East Harbour Station
GO Rail
Ontario Line

8. Exhibition Station
GO Rail
Ontario Line

9. Spadina Station
Spadina Streetcar
Subway TTC

10. Queen Station
Ontario Line
Subway TTC

11. Osgoode Station
Subway TTC
Ontario Line

12. Ontario Science Centre
Ontario Line
ECLRT

13. Finch West Station
Finch West LRT
Subway TTC

14. Caledonia Station
ECLRT
Go Rail

15. Mount Dennis
ECLRT
Go Rail / UP Express

16. Cedervale Station
ECLRT
Subway TTC

17. Pape Station

Subway TTC
Ontario Line

18. Downsville Park
Go Rail
Subway TTC

19. St Clair West

Streetcar
TTC Sybway

Most of this is because of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, it really does a good job connecting these random Rail lines together. Also the Ontario Line, in another 7 or 8 years, I'm assuming.  Wow, 19 multimodal Rail stations, that's a lot.

Edit: I only counted the old style streetcar stations if they are underground. That means I didn't count Bathurst, Broadview, Dundas West, Main Street, and St. Clair

Last edited by caltrane74; Jan 19, 2024 at 11:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 6:43 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I would also add that there are now transfer points developing in the wider GTA such as the Hurontario LRT connection to Port Credit GO station as well as Cooksville and as of yesterday Brampton GO. And of course there is always Pearson airport.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 1:59 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I would also add that there are now transfer points developing in the wider GTA such as the Hurontario LRT connection to Port Credit GO station as well as Cooksville and as of yesterday Brampton GO. And of course there is always Pearson airport.
I heard they are planning to move the VIARail station from Oakville to Port Credit to take advantage of the new rail connection from the Hazel LRT.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 2:07 PM
Community Guy

Some photos of the new (secluded) NAIT/Blatchford Market LRT station.

Looks great, but they really need to accelerate development of things around this spot.

photos - Dkazzed on SRC
https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f....24104/page-51

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I heard they are planning to move the VIARail station from Oakville to Port Credit to take advantage of the new rail connection from the Hazel LRT.
Where have you heard this from?

Other than having slightly more walk-on passengers from the surrounding neighbourhood and having the connection to the LRT, Port Credit is a worse station for VIA. It only has 3 platforms, versus Oakville's four. Oakville is also a stop for both express and local Lakeshore West services, whereas Port Credit is local only, and they plan to keep that service pattern with GO RER.

I think there's also a lot more development planned around Oakville GO in the future than around Port Credit.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 2:53 PM

Quote:

That's a sleek station. Along with that bus garage, ETS has been pretty design forward by Canadian standards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada