HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:41 PM

And can we get another LOL

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -harlington- View Post
and can we get another lol
lol

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

I respect everyones opinions but what needs to be realized is just because a certain group of people aren't vocal that doesn't mean they don't care for the idea.
thank you! Couldn't agree more. and just for -Harlington- .... LOL

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:54 PM

LOL, yess
but just to add to the whole young people thing, im tired of people moving out west and Toronto ect.
I do like sports but Anything that can be done to make this city more appealing and keep people here i fully support .

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:58 PM

http://www.hrmstadium.ca/?page_id=123

Here are session summaries so far posted @ the above link.

Apparantly there was 130 people at the first and 120 at the second. 250 people is not bad at all and I don't think there was a lot of room for more anyways.

Note they list Shannon Park & Dartmouth Crossing the winners of the public vote on preferred locations.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the shadow warrior View Post
I was bruce devenne's researcher . This will collapse just like the commonwealth games
So that's why his research was so bad. Did you help him run for council too?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:51 PM

I would just like to point out that the second info session was located in an area of Dartmouth that most people outside of Dartmouth wouldn't go, or don't know, unless they were determined to get there.

To be complacent with a serious lack in civil infrastructure is a little obtuse wouldn't you say? Not to be inflammatory, as everybodys' opinion is their own, but to not want your city take pride in itself, seems regressive to me.

go dogs go!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:52 PM

First and Foremost Learn to Use This Forum Correctly

There is an edit button so i only have to read one of your posts not 3 or 4 of the same post with small changes.
My question to you shadow, as an economics expert, so easily you throw out things like Paul Martin and Stephen Harper had it out for the Commonwealth Games bid, which is incorrect because we had a commitment of 400 million dollars from the federal government and had actually been selected as the winning international bid but withdrawn our bid just before the announcement.
Next is your point that after the construction jobs there is no added benefit in job growth or revenue. That again is incorrect, If built correctly with concessions and media center, those would generate job growth for young people and professionals.
In case you weren't aware of the fact that we had a group of investors in the 1980's who were awarded a conditional franchise but due to weak kneed ultra conservative politics that also gave us NSP being sold to American interests, we lost it because we didn't build a stadium so i can understand any investors trepidation of coming forward until there is a clear commitment that finally has been done by council even if it only a conditional 20 million.
I am here to tell you now, Your losing. So please fight, kick and scream all you want, we will prevail, because in my travels most people I talk to in Halifax want this, the politicians hear it and that is why people are showing up to the public meetings so again fight the Losing Battle and remain someone stuck in the shadows while i sit in the sun on a nice day and watch some FIFA Women's World Cup or CFL football

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:03 PM

Quote:
I was bruce devenne's researcher . This will collapse just like the commonwealth games
Is this you? User Jim Jones from the gamebids forum?

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topi...s/page__st__30

Quote:
Yes Reality sucks for pro games forces in Halifax and in the 2000's anti games people worldwide have plenty of reality to choose from news sources supplied online.

Oh the reason I and others don't write letters to the editor or do OP Ed Pieces is because we do have a calculated approach. Everything with the exception of Walter Nolan is outside the group and comes from the people.
Bruce Devenne is the spokes person for the anti games movement. I fill a research and support role but I will get on the rick howe show or here to inform another wise ignorant public. Bruce gets a great deal of his information from me and bruce finds some great stuff on his own like the 3 billion dollar price tag Glasgow has estimated for their effort. I actually thought my friend was a bit over the top with that but then I read the the article on the announcing of the games village by Derek Casey and it is true right out of the mans mouth in print in a Scottish newspaper.
And here:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...390492&page=11

Quote:
Multi-sports festivals are a leap to far with a city without a stadium, aquatics centre or the volenteer labour force for an event this size.

Single sport events are the way to go .

The Pan AM games would have made more sense because the sports in those games are actually fairly popular.

Rowing , Padeling and Kayaking are included in the Pan AM Games.

The problem now with a Pan AM games bid is that Rio 2007 is raising the bar
for that sports festival just like Kuala Lumpar did for the CWG's in 1998.

If you dont have a part of the bid package for venues on the ground in this day and age it really is a wasted effort.

JIM JONES WIN !!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Yeah the worst government in canada should really think about rationalising the universities and colleges in the province which you are a part of the problem with our provinces finances. Sorry mister art student but you have to grow up sometime and stop the weekend partying on the credit card. LOL.

JIM JONES WINS !!!!!!!!
It's got to be him, look at the "LOL".

Note he was banned from skyscraper city.

I'm guessing he was user Reality Check that got banned recently on this thread.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:49 PM

Quote:
I was bruce devenne's researcher.
I'm honestly not sure what's more hilarous/depressing, the fact that Bruce is so singlemindedly hellbent on making Halifax a 19th-century pseudo-Amish cesspit that he requires the services of research assistants to accomplish his objectives, or that you honestly consider that old crabby bitter shell of a man someone that will make Halifax a better place.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:25 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Yes Kevin yes tell the truth . 31 events in Winnipeg for the new bombers stadium. This is with a multi decades old Blue Bombers CFL club.
ok, Paul (?); 31 large events in a year is a realistic number (plus many smaller community events). I don't see anything surprising about that. It is the nature of such a stadium. That is why it is important to go with a low cost design. BMO Field in Toronto usually has 20,000 plus spectators for Toronto FC and makes a profit. It doesn't have as many events as the Rogers Centre which was a money loser, but the BMO Field was built in a low-cost manner and that is why it can make a profit with fewer events.

If you remember there were a couple of weeks of setup time for the Paul McCartney concert. About 6,000 temporary seats were setup. A stadium takes the place of setting up temporary seats and tearing them down, it also eliminates the need for temporary portable toilets (the thought of using portable toilets alone would keep me away from concerts).

The football/soccer stadiums that lose a significant amount of money are the iconic ones. Winnipeg will have a beautiful stadium but it will probably lose money. The Rogers Centre went bankrupt several years ago and was sold for $25 million dollars (a fraction of its construction cost). We all know about the Montreal Olympic Stadium situation. The renovated BC Place looks amazing but will probably lose a significant amount of money. If Regina builds an iconic stadium it will also lose tons of money. However, there are many US university stadiums and low-cost MLS stadiums that are doing fine. You need to compare apples and apples - if you don't then nobody will listen to you, and you yourself should step back and re-consider your motives. We aren't talking about a couple of billion dollars for the Commonwealth Games.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:27 PM

It's obvious that arguing with this guy is like arguing with a school child. All you'll get is the typical 'I'm rubber and your glue' type arguments. I simply don't agree with him is a waste of my time - their is the ignore function in the control panel.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
It's obvious that arguing with this guy is like arguing with a school child. All you'll get is the typical 'I'm rubber and your glue' type arguments. I simply don't agree with him is a waste of my time - their is the ignore function in the control panel.
You don't even have to worry about it -- he's banned now. I tried giving him a warning but it didn't work. I'm probably overly optimistic with these people.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
You don't even have to worry about it -- he's banned now. I tried giving him a warning but it didn't work. I'm probably overly optimistic with these people.
What did he say when you warned him?
See - I'm all for freedom of expression. Let's face it, I've gotten into debates with a few people on here (fenwick, keithp). But we've all kept it pretty respectful and tried to be factually accurate.

I just find people like this guy bring it down to childish levels - I asked him to site a source, still nothing...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I'm honestly not sure what's more hilarous/depressing, the fact that Bruce is so singlemindedly hellbent on making Halifax a 19th-century pseudo-Amish cesspit that he requires the services of research assistants to accomplish his objectives, or that you honestly consider that old crabby bitter shell of a man someone that will make Halifax a better place.
I thought shadow might have been Bruce Devenne's ghost, haunting us from the grave.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
What did he say when you warned him?
He said "bite me". It was great because it made my next course of action so clear.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 9:59 PM

Quote:
He said "bite me". It was great because it made my next course of action so clear.
LOL awesome. Like I said, all for free speech but guy's like that just don't care.

KeithP> awesome. That's great, I nearly choked on my coffee.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:10 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
That puts this whole argument into context. I have to say though, that made me laugh . I appreciate you for taking your time to be a moderator for this forum.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:33 PM

Well if you aren't going to follow the rules of the forum...then your out.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Well first of all the 2014 commonwealth games domestic bid was awarded to Halifax simply from the standpoint of Paul Martin interfering in the process to have the weakest Candidate City that he knew would fail in the vote. Paul Martin favored Africa hosting. Paul Martin's plan of limiting possible liability of actually having to host a ten to one money loser in the commonwealth games worked to perfection. Stephen Harper then picked up the ball and deep sixed Halifax YEAH high five
It is public knowledge that Paul Martin is a football fan. It is more probable that Halifax was chosen to bid for the Commonwealth Games because Martin seen it as a way to contribute public money for a stadium in Halifax using an international event. International events have been used many times in the past as an excuse to invest in facilities.
No one thought Nigeria was a serious contender to host the games. Not only does the country suffer from crushing poverty, it also suffers from violence between Christians and Muslims.
It was the provincial government that withdrew from the bid, not the feds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment