HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:22 PM

I like that building.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Gorgeous house in Hamilton.

Is this not just the side of the house? Do you have the google streetsview link?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:46 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
At first I thought it was a picture from a former soviet state. I remember that building though. A condo addition on top of an office building with the most expensive penthouse in Toronto.
I like that weird window addition on the top floor of the office portion. It's so Thunder Bay, I love it! My city has many buildings that were put together with leftovers like this.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:41 AM
I am a typical

I haven't been putting much effort into taking photos of Thunder Bay so I currently have no photos of this one, but:

I guess, not putting any facade on the building is cheaper? The ground floor is interesting but there's nothing at all going on above that, not even any form of exterior lighting.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I haven't been putting much effort into taking photos of Thunder Bay so I currently have no photos of this one, but:

I guess, not putting any facade on the building is cheaper? The ground floor is interesting but there's nothing at all going on above that, not even any form of exterior lighting.
Wretched. How about this multicoloured toilet box in Thunder Bay?

Also of note is how tacky this Motel lobby is. Leftovers from Montana’s Cookhouse (the rocky desk) and the Trump Tower Unite!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:21 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Wretched. How about this multicoloured toilet box in Thunder Bay?

This building is at the end of a T-intersection. When I was a kid, before the traffic lights were put in, that building would have a vehicle drive into it every couple years. That's why, in 2005, they put planters in front of it. They were removed once the traffic lights were put in, but I think it's been hit once since then. It looked worse back then, by the way!

Quote:
Also of note is how tacky this Motel lobby is. Leftovers from Montana’s Cookhouse (the rocky desk) and the Trump Tower Unite!
The Airline is one of our best hotels!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

I stayed at that hotel for two nights back in July on our trip to Western Canada. It was the only nice hotel that had rooms available when we were in T-Bay but the service at it was terrible.

Really nice room, great beds and a beautiful view of Lake Superior. There was a thunderstorm one night and watching the lightning over the lake was amazing.

But there were some strange things about the service and facilities. The parking lot is far away from the hotel itself. There are two apartment or condo buildings (you can see them behind the building in the photo) that you have to walk around and then the parking lot is a ways beyond them. Not an issue when the weather is nice but wouldn't be pleasant during bad weather and cold.

There were signs in the hotel telling you the way to vending machines but no vending machines were actually there. There is a cafe off of the lobby that sells drinks and snacks but it only open during the day so you can't get any snack foods or drinks in the evening. We had a nice coffee machine in our room but no coffee. We asked at the lobby BOTH days we were there and they apologized but never actually gave us any coffee. For such a new big name hotel it's surprising that it doesn't have a pool. Luckily the city has a nice wading pool with spraying water right beside the hotel which my daughter loved. Not much to do for much of the year though at that site. The people working at the hotel seemed clueless in finding solutions to issues. Most of the people working there seemed to be new to Thunder Bay and Northern Ontario as the hotel had only been open for a month or two. Recent reviews seem to show improvement.

The funniest part was when we arrived at almost 11pm with a child who was obviously wanting to go to bed, the guy checking us in asked us if I wanted to make a dinner reservation for that evening! And I found out later that the hotel has 24 hour room service from the restaurant but wasn't told about it.

Last edited by Loco101; Jan 29, 2020 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Gorgeous house in Hamilton.

Is this not just the side of the house? Do you have the google streetsview link?
It's actually the back of the house. This is the front...

Google Street View | 21 Foster Street, Hamilton, Ontario

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:48 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
It's actually the back of the house. This is the front...

Google Street View | 21 Foster Street, Hamilton, Ontario
Wow that's actually beautiful. The back looks ugly mainly due to what appears to be a detached garage and some weird window placement that may be due to renovations. That's by no means an ugly building. Could use some better upkeep though.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Wow that's actually beautiful. The back looks ugly mainly due to what appears to be a detached garage and some weird window placement that may be due to renovations. That's by no means an ugly building. Could use some better upkeep though.
The building in the upper left hand corner however....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:45 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Hamilton’s Hammer

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:13 AM

Had no idea that was the back of the house in Hamilton. But yet another example of awkward window placement. I do wonder how that happens so often. Is there something structural preventing the contractor from arranging windows in at least a reasonably symmetrical way?

Now for new builds, like the cube house up the road from me, there's no excuse.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:25 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I stayed at that hotel for two nights back in July on our trip to Western Canada. It was the only nice hotel that had rooms available when we were in T-Bay but the service at it was terrible.

Really nice room, great beds and a beautiful view of Lake Superior. There was a thunderstorm one night and watching the lightning over the lake was amazing.

But there were some strange things about the service and facilities. The parking lot is far away from the hotel itself. There are two apartment or condo buildings (you can see them behind the building in the photo) that you have to walk around and then the parking lot is a ways beyond them. Not an issue when the weather is nice but wouldn't be pleasant during bad weather and cold.

There were signs in the hotel telling you the way to vending machines but no vending machines were actually there. There is a cafe off of the lobby that sells drinks and snacks but it only open during the day so you can't get any snack foods or drinks in the evening. We had a nice coffee machine in our room but no coffee. We asked at the lobby BOTH days we were there and they apologized but never actually gave us any coffee. For such a new big name hotel it's surprising that it doesn't have a pool. Luckily the city has a nice wading pool with spraying water right beside the hotel which my daughter loved. Not much to do for much of the year though at that site. The people working at the hotel seemed clueless in finding solutions to issues. Most of the people working there seemed to be new to Thunder Bay and Northern Ontario as the hotel had only been open for a month or two. Recent reviews seem to show improvement.

The funniest part was when we arrived at almost 11pm with a child who was obviously wanting to go to bed, the guy checking us in asked us if I wanted to make a dinner reservation for that evening! And I found out later that the hotel has 24 hour room service from the restaurant but wasn't told about it.
We call this the Thunder Bay Experience. But did you get bedbugs?

Quote:
Have you seen it up close, though? Oh, it's beautiful!

What texture!!

Such lines!

Man, the more you look at these photos, the worse it looks. I don't think that building is gonna be around much longer... And yes, I'm bothered by how clearly visible that one apartment's interior is. Kind of borderline illegal; at least there are no identifiable faces in there. Probably should have censored it but whatever.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:32 AM

I'd be fine with this house in Kelowna if it once again weren't for the awkward window placement.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:40 AM

Was doing an analysis on a property we have the mortgage on and noticed Super C in Quebec. Why are their signs so god damn enormous? It's like they're in a war against subtlety.

https://www.construction-vergo.com/f.../super-c-sorel

https://www.infodimanche.com/actuali...iviere-du-loup

http://www.controlpadblues.com/?p=267

https://kijijicoupons.ca/circulaire-en-ligne/super-c/

https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Quebe...C/4409772.html

This would be way more ideal.

https://www.nordinfo.com/economie/un...ainte-therese/

Last edited by megadude; Jan 30, 2020 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:43 PM

This one in Hamilton I don't think of as ugly, just somewhat odd looking. It's a tale of two houses because it actually is designed as use for potentially two units. It looks like the right side was added to the house and they they re-did the porch, roof and facade.

bungol.ca

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:26 PM

Am I the only one weirded out a little by critiquing random peoples' houses online? I dunno, it seems to cross some sort of boundry, but whatever.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:03 PM

I can't remember which thread recently referenced a "4x4" meaning an extra large Timmies with four cream and four sugars. In any event, I was just reading something about the actual amount of sugar in Timmies "teaspoons" and it would seem that, between added sugar and milk sugar, a "4x4" would contain something like 14 teaspoons of sugar! Now THAT is scary-ugly.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:23 PM

Jesus, the Hamilton Hammer looks like the Skylon Tower up close!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:48 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I can't remember which thread recently referenced a "4x4" meaning an extra large Timmies with four cream and four sugars. In any event, I was just reading something about the actual amount of sugar in Timmies "teaspoons" and it would seem that, between added sugar and milk sugar, a "4x4" would contain something like 14 teaspoons of sugar! Now THAT is scary-ugly.

Yep they scale them by size! All of it comes from a machine so it's easy enough to do that I guess. No idea the actual scale, but a single sugar for a small is probably closer to a teaspoon whereas for an XL it's just a massive amount. In the past I have asked for a "half small sugar and one small milk" in a large coffee and after the initial confusion got a somewhat reasonable beverage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada