HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Where? in the theatre? On a good day it can be configured to seat just under 1000. Now all we need to do is come up with about 17,000 other seats and we're good to go.
The UFC holds smaller scale events as well and I could see them using that as a stepping stone to the ultimate venue GM place.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 5:35 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

How about the event last summer here, it wasn't UFC but it was an MMA event that took place on the Musquem (sp) reserve in south vancouver. The lead fighter was shoot in the leg after the event because he lost and I imagine someone lost some money.

I am a big UFC fan and enjoy watching it, but at the same time I can completely understand why the city wouldn't allow it. I know I'm in the minority of people in this city that would enjoy it, and lets face it majority rules.

About Richmond, their city council has already refused UFC in the past and has stated just last week that it has no intention of hosting an event, Joe Rogan has stated that he's going to try in Coquitlam then.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
How about the event last summer here, it wasn't UFC but it was an MMA event that took place on the Musquem (sp) reserve in south vancouver. The lead fighter was shoot in the leg after the event because he lost and I imagine someone lost some money.

I am a big UFC fan and enjoy watching it, but at the same time I can completely understand why the city wouldn't allow it. I know I'm in the minority of people in this city that would enjoy it, and lets face it majority rules.

About Richmond, their city council has already refused UFC in the past and has stated just last week that it has no intention of hosting an event, Joe Rogan has stated that he's going to try in Coquitlam then.
Jlousa, wouldn't you agree that if regulated you wouldn't have those types of incidents. They had bodog at PNE coliseum a few years ago. It was sold out and there was a heavy police presence just because of the type of crowd it was. Regardless I think there are many UFC fans out there, but we just aren't complaining enough. Also the city does have more pressing issues to deal with right now

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:17 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
i think it may have to do with the "safety equipment" boxers are required to wear in some weight classes and its recognized as an Olympic sport. i agree though, if you are going to ban one, why not ban the other.

what i would rather enjoy seeing is a resurgence of Greco-Roman and/or Sumo wrestling. i mean, there's two sports that showcase the best of human strength without being violent. why isn't that on TV?
Why would people want to watch two fat guys making out with each other?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
The UFC holds smaller scale events as well and I could see them using that as a stepping stone to the ultimate venue GM place.

Even the smaller scale events draw crowds that would far and exceed anything that Richmond could currently hold. Not to mention those events are almost always oversees where the UFC is far less popular than it is in North America. So then why in the blue hell would they ever hold an event in lil' ole Richmond BC when they have cities across North America with NHL arenas beating down the door trying to host a UFC card?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
Jlousa, wouldn't you agree that if regulated you wouldn't have those types of incidents. They had bodog at PNE coliseum a few years ago. It was sold out and there was a heavy police presence just because of the type of crowd it was. Regardless I think there are many UFC fans out there, but we just aren't complaining enough. Also the city does have more pressing issues to deal with right now
2 things. 1) The Bodog event in Vancouver was held in the Agrodome, NOT the Coliseum. 2). Even there, it wasn't a sellout.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 1:07 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
sounds like what happened in Abbotsford in October.

read: Mixed martial arts fighter shot dead in Abbotsford.

these are the people that hang out around these events, and people would consider promoting that? thats taking the violence outside the octagon and into the streets.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 1:23 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Heres the incident I'm taking about.

http://beat.bodoglife.com/sports/fig...ent-67100.html

That's a big problem with these events, you can regulate the sport but not the people that attend. It's even worse then the monster truck show which had a reputation of brawls in the crowd almost every year until they were forced to stop selling liquor. Not sure if beer sales are allowed again. These events just attract a large segment of the wrong crowd.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 5:42 AM

Quote:

I didn't know that Richmond had already turned Joe Rogan's request to hold the UFC there. I'm not sure that Coquitlam would allow for the UFC either? I agree, though, eventually, Vancouver needs to let its guard down and let in the UFC. Can't ban something like this forever, can they?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 6:28 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

pretty sure that they can ban it forever. thats the point of having it banned.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
pretty sure that they can ban it forever. thats the point of having it banned.
Well, okay, I guess I was referring to how if there is a growing interest in the UFC, there might be pressure to remove "the ban" and allow the UFC event to come to this city. Might as well ban boxing too, and hockey for that matter (for what happens in hockey i.e. Bertuzzi incident, Brashear incident, etc) because of the fighting in the sport.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 1:10 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Well, okay, I guess I was referring to how if there is a growing interest in the UFC, there might be pressure to remove "the ban" and allow the UFC event to come to this city. Might as well ban boxing too, and hockey for that matter (for what happens in hockey i.e. Bertuzzi incident, Brashear incident, etc) because of the fighting in the sport.
you can't ban hockey as fighting is such a minor part of the game. my statistic is probably lower than the actual number, but i would venture to say that only 1/3 hockey games involves players fighting. and it is asinine to even compare fighting in hockey to UFC.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 3:26 AM

Quote:
you can't ban hockey as fighting is such a minor part of the game. my statistic is probably lower than the actual number, but i would venture to say that only 1/3 hockey games involves players fighting. and it is asinine to even compare fighting in hockey to UFC.
Then what about boxing? fighting in that sport is as much as MMA, but why ban MMA and then turn and allow boxing to continue? I don't understand. I understand your comments about fighting in hockey, but it doesn't make much sense to me when boxing is a similar sport to MMA?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Then what about boxing? fighting in that sport is as much as MMA, but why ban MMA and then turn and allow boxing to continue? I don't understand. I understand your comments about fighting in hockey, but it doesn't make much sense to me when boxing is a similar sport to MMA?

The issue isn't 'fighting' per se, it's the crowds that go to see this fighting. 99% are sports enthusiasts, but there's always that 1% hat have to muck things up for everyone else.

There were news articles quoted above about how the gangs in this city have taken to this sport. Anything they involve themselves with isn't good for the rest of us.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
The issue isn't 'fighting' per se, it's the crowds that go to see this fighting. 99% are sports enthusiasts, but there's always that 1% hat have to muck things up for everyone else.

There were news articles quoted above about how the gangs in this city have taken to this sport. Anything they involve themselves with isn't good for the rest of us.
I understand your point about the gangs involving themselves in MMA, but aren't there ways to work around this, rather than banning it outright?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 10:26 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^like what arresting all the gang members at the event and start a gang war? count me out thanks.

and i understand your point about boxing very well. i don't understand why it hasn't been banned. boxing is not only violent, but throughout the course of history has been very publicly tied to organized crime.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
and i understand your point about boxing very well. i don't understand why it hasn't been banned. boxing is not only violent, but throughout the course of history has been very publicly tied to organized crime.
Boxing, like smoking and drinking, has been grandfathered into the system. It's been around for much longer than any of us have been, so it's become accepted and allowed. Perhaps in a hundred MMA will have the same acceptance. Perhaps in a hundred years MMA will have the same following as jousting on horseback does today.

But right now, it's still riding the crest of "human cockfighting" and that brings out all the wrong sorts of people.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Vancouver council to debate future of mixed martial arts

By Catherine Rolfsen, Vancouver Sun - March 19, 2009

Surrey-based MMA fighter Kalib Starnes (middle row, 4th from left) and the team of fighters at Suitela Fitness and Self Defense Centre pose for a photo after a typically gruelling training session.
Photograph by: Jenelle Schneider, Vancouver Sun

Vancouver city council will debate next week whether to allow the city’s athletic commission to sanction controversial Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighting events.

A report from the Vancouver’s chief license inspector to be discussed next Thursday highlights a need for clarity as to whether the hugely popular combat sport is allowed within the city.

The Vancouver Athletic Commission (VAC) allowed five MMA events before city council in 2007 told the commission to temporarily cease sanctioning the fights.

"Based upon the violent nature of the sport and in light of the growth in its popularity resulting in more requests being received by the VAC to hold MMA Events in Vancouver, the VAC and City Staff are seeking Council’s direction as to whether MMA Events are to be within the Commission’s mandate,” reads the report.

The report notes the sanctioning MMA events would increase the VAC’s workload but the organization could also collect “very significant” gate fees from events.

Richmond-based mixed martial arts instructor Mark Bishop of Urban Rebel MMA is happy to hear the issue is back on council's agenda.

"Financially, it would be a huge boost to the economy," said Bishop. "It would give an outlet to a lot of very bored youth who are looking for choices other than hockey or fighting in the street."

Bishop trains classes of children, teenagers and adults in the sport, which combines elements of boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu and kickboxing.

According to the council report, the Vancouver police department is concerned that if the VAC doesn’t regulate the fights they will happen anyway underground.

Considered one of the fastest growing spectator sports, it is sanctioned in 38 U.S. states as well as Canadian cities like Calgary, Edmonton and the province of Quebec.

Chilliwack-based fight promoter Paul Daniel of ValleyFight started running fight cards on first nations reserves when Chilliwack council banned MMA from public buildings in the area. Despite being forced to essentially go underground, his events have drawn sell-out crowds on a constant basis and been lauded by fighters for putting fighter safety and security ahead of profits.

When asked if regulation of MMA in Vancouver would see his company looking to promote regular events downtown, Daniel replied, "Short answer: Yes."

He's not alone. Florida-based MMA promoter John Prisco of the Xtreme Fighting Championships regularly draws crowds of 10,000 plus to his XFC events. He recently told The Sun that if local authorities cleared the regulation hurdle, his group would be very interested in looking at promoting cards in the area.

"We're always looking for places to expand our reach," said Prisco, "and Vancouver fight fans are the kind of audience you'd like to be working with. It's obviously not something you do overnight, but if the commission up there needed help with rules and best practices, we'd be very enthusiastic about flying up and working with them. We did just that recently in Tennessee, and the state recently approved the sport there as a result."

The XFC's first card in Tennessee drew a crowd of 5,200 and received glowing reviews in the press.

Although MMA began as a “raw fringe sport,” the report says, many regions have adopted rules to protect athletes, such as time limits, weight classes, safety procedures, and prohibiting things such as head butts, biting and eye gouging. An April 2008 UFC event in Montreal drew 21,000 people and was seen by 500,000 people on pay-per-view.

crolfsen@vancouversun.com

With file by Chris Parry
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/r...304/story.html

Last edited by Locked In; Mar 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 3:12 PM

Thanks Locked In for the update. I think many younger forumers are into this and the older ones not so much. I would like to see a UFC type event in Vancouver, but I think I'm in the minority.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 3:31 PM

I'm not a UFC fan at all, but the two events in Montréal (one past and one coming up) have been a massive success - obviously in part due to GSP being the home town favorite. In the upcoming event in Montreal, UFC had to make a few rule changes in order for the event to be sanctioned, so I don’t see why the same couldn’t work in Vancouver. The more high profile events we can attract, the better, even if not all of us are fans.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation