HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 12:02 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Same with the share of Puerto Ricans in Hawaii. It has been the only state for many decades in the western half of the US where they've been the dominate Hispanic/Latino group (they've been there since 1900) & it now looks like the Mexican population has or is about to pass it. The descendants of Spaniards which were briefly larger in the early 1900s from southern Spain remain in 3rd. Although, the Mexican population in Hawaii is about as large as the PR population -- the PR musical influence is still the most popular among latinos there from Salsa to Jibaro "Katchi Katchi" also spelt as Catchi Catchi/Cachi Cachi/Kachi Kachi music. Most of the first Puerto Ricans that settled in Hawaii were from inland/rural areas & are often called Borinki (in Hawaii) which is more of a slang from the original Taino Indian name of PR -- Borinken (versus the Spanish spelling borinquen).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:02 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I’ve always found it odd that Miami/South Florida didn’t have larger Puerto Rican and Dominican populations. Why is Orlando more Puerto Rican than Miami?

Detroit’s large Arab population is another oddity.

I would guess because Orlando gets a lot of NYC transplants these days, many of whom are Puerto Rican and Dominican. Orlando also has a more diverse population overall than Miami. I know quite a few Filipinos from Central Florida.

Miami mainly has large Central and South American populations now. The Cubans are still there but they don't dominant like they used to in the 60s and 80s.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Also, Metro Detroit is quite white. Detroit CSA is something like 70% white, NYC CSA is something like 45% white. I think most folks would assume Detroit is less white.
I think most people would assume that Detroit is more black, but that Detroit is more black and white, with fewer non-white, non-black groups.

Whereas NYC's metro is not just whites and blacks but many different minority groups (after all, most are aware of what a big immigrant gateway NYC is).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:07 AM

Quote:
How about black populations in NYC and Detroit metros? NYC metro has a higher % black than Detroit metro, which would surprise most folks.

Metro Detroit isn't actually particularly black, it just has a lightly populated central city that's almost entirely black. NYC proper isn't particularly black, but metro area has black enclaves everywhere, especially West Indian enclaves.
Lightly populated? Detroit is still one of the 25 largest cities in the US, even after decades of decline. I totally get your point but Detroit is anything but lightly populated.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:08 AM

Outside of the US, people underestimate how non-white other industrialized countries' cities in western countries have become.

Cities like Toronto, Paris, London, and Sydney are heavily non-white these days, but media perception has not caught up.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:13 AM

Texas is another place that is becoming more diverse but is still portrayed as mostly white. A lot of people don't realize that cities like Houston have lots of immigrants, many non-white, including African and Asian groups in addition to Hispanic.

I would say another general trend that is under-recognized is that immigrants are not only in bicoastal (the west and east coast) areas but also elsewhere, and in often Southern cities like Houston, Atlanta etc.

Yet southern cities even those in the rapidly growing Sunbelt are still portrayed as mostly places with few foreign-born people, but rather mostly locals who have lived there for many generations.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:34 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Yeah, parts of the South are very diverse right now. When I used to live in Chattanooga, I noticed a lot of Asians and Middle Easterners lived in the city in addition to the white and black. Some of my friends in college interacted with Syrian and Iraqi refugees who recently came to the area. And this is one of the low key places.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
I was going by CSA. I'm pretty sure NYC metro is blacker than Detroit metro by CSA.

Also, Metro Detroit is quite white. Detroit CSA is something like 70% white, NYC CSA is something like 45% white. I think most folks would assume Detroit is less white.

Another one- NYC Hispanics are heavily associated with Puerto Ricans, yet PRs are only like 20% of the Hispanic population, and share is declining. In NYC proper in 2018, Dominicans are probably the most visible Hispanic group. There are more South American Hispanics than PRs, and Dominicans and Mexicans are eventually going to top the PR population.

I also think San Diego is surprisingly white. You would think Southern CA metro bordering Mexico, has to be heavily nonwhite. Yet San Diego County is much whiter than neighboring Orange County, even though SD County is heavily urban, and OC is almost 100% newer sprawl, and even though OC is the CA county most associated with the blond, beachgoing surfer and conservative white stereotype. In fact SD is much whiter than CA as a whole.
san diego is the great final american city-mystery for me. i've never been, but lots of people love it. it almost seems like it should have been the capital of a 51st state, baja california.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:33 PM
Paradise Island

In general, Minneapolis and St Paul proper are not the sea of whiteness that some people imagine. In addition to Somalis and Hmong, Minneapolis also has an Ecuadorian neighborhood and a significant number of Liberians and other west Africans.

Last edited by Chef; Jul 1, 2018 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 3:08 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
In general, Minneapolis and St Paul proper are not the sea of whiteness that some people imagine. In addition to Somalis and Hmong, Minneapolis also has an Ecuadorian neighborhood and a significant number of Liberians and other west Africans.
thats a good one...minneapolis was only 63% non-hispanic white as of 2010.

as far as other midwestern cities, st. louis city proper is often considered a vastly majority black city like baltimore or detroit but as of 2017 is estimated to have become majority white.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
thats a good one...minneapolis was only 63% non-hispanic white as of 2010.
I would say that's quite white, even for a metro. Metros tend to be much more diverse than non-metros, yet that roughly mirrors the national share of white.

But for city proper that's extremely white.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 3:34 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I’ve always found it odd that Miami/South Florida didn’t have larger Puerto Rican and Dominican populations. Why is Orlando more Puerto Rican than Miami?

Detroit’s large Arab population is another oddity.
because pr’s came up in the last century to work. not only that they were specifically recruited to work in steel and auto factories at various points in time. thats why places like cleveland have very large pr populations.

the reason orlando does is a relatively newer phenomenon. like everybody else, the pr’s in the north are moving down there in droves. its the preferred area in florida at the moment.

as for detriot arabic or middle eastern, it was a mostly christian population until relatively recently. they came for the same reasons so many others have, because of persecution back home and jobs. naturally it has attracted arabic folks of all stripes since then. btw toledo and cleveland also have spillover noteworthy middle eastern populations. its the lake erie arabic crescent.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
I would say that's quite white, even for a metro. Metros tend to be much more diverse than non-metros, yet that roughly mirrors the national share of white.

But for city proper that's extremely white.
In Minneapolis, the city is still substantially more diverse than the suburbs, which are almost entirely non-hispanic white, similar to Milwaukee and other upper midwest mid-sized metros. Or maybe that's what you are trying to say?

Regardless, I do think the city of Minneapolis is more diverse than people expect (same with Seattle), but the metro area still matches perceptions.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 12:07 AM

In Brazil people are aware, but an international audience isn't.

São Paulo is home of the largest Italian, Portuguese, Lebanese and Japanese diasporas in the world. In the case of Japanese, they are several times more than Los Angeles, San Francisco or Honolulu metro areas.

Londrina, my home town, is mostly Italian, but also houses 30,000 Japanese (the 2nd largest community in Brazil, and one of the largest in the world). It also sizeable German, Lebanese, Spanish, Portuguese, Slavic communities, but they are pretty much all merged in the city's melting pot by now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Oakland is less than 30% but is often portrayed as a "chocolate city."
Oakland is pretty strongly segregated. The flatlands southwest of I-580 are the black parts of Oakland and basically the part from which the reputation derives. But as this map shows, most of the other side of 580 is white and the ridgeline of the coastal hills is almost purely white:

https://oaklandliving.wordpress.com/...ial-diversity/

The independent and very upmarket town of Piedmont, which is surrounded by Oakland like a great gated community, is also almost pure white.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
san diego is the great final american city-mystery for me. i've never been, but lots of people love it. it almost seems like it should have been the capital of a 51st state, baja california.
San Diego may have the most perfect weather on Planet Earth but only if you stay within 10 miles or so of the coast. And if you do stay there, you better have a very fat wallet because, unlike places such as the Bay Area where the high housing costs are somewhat artificial--building restrictions etc--in San Diego it's about the land of which there is just so much close enough to the water to have the moderate climate people want. Go too far inland and you are in the Mojave Desert.

By the way, those marvelling at the whiteness of SD should check the demographics of National City which lies between SD and the border. It's poorer and 63% Hispanic.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:46 AM
SD/OC

San Diego County is only 41% white (non Hispanic). That is as of 2010. Places like San Ysidro in SD County are 93% Hispanic.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I also think San Diego is surprisingly white. You would think Southern CA metro bordering Mexico, has to be heavily nonwhite. Yet San Diego County is much whiter than neighboring Orange County, even though SD County is heavily urban, and OC is almost 100% newer sprawl, and even though OC is the CA county most associated with the blond, beachgoing surfer and conservative white stereotype. In fact SD is much whiter than CA as a whole.
^This entire statement is just about as nearly inaccurate as possible. SDC and OC are similar in population and racial, age, education attainment, commute travel time, per capita income etc..

Secondly, if you were to take the time to look at a racial dot density map you would realize that the white population of Southern California is along the ocean/ beaches and the most desirable real estate tourist zones. Orange County tourists don't go to Santa Ana, they go to Huntington, Newport, Laguna, San Clemente, and Disneyland, they're going to see lots of wealthy white people at the beach.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/29/racial-dot-map-la_n_3819252.html

From the Census [2017]:
*San Diego County: 45% non-hispanic white, 34% hispanic, 13% asian, 5.5% black.
*Orange County: 40% non-hispanic white, 34% hispanic, 21% asian, 2% black
*Wayne County: 50% non-hispanic white, 39% black

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
San Diego County is only 41% white (non Hispanic). That is as of 2010. Places like San Ysidro in SD County are 93% Hispanic.
California is around 37% white (non-Hispanic). In that context, given its location, San Diego is surprisingly white, at least to me. It feels very white coming down from LA/OC and especially feels less Asian.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
^This entire statement is just about as nearly inaccurate as possible. SDC and OC are similar in population and racial, age, education attainment, commute travel time, per capita income etc..
Your own posted stats contradict your claims. Orange County has a significantly larger nonwhite population than SD County.

You're also, once again, disregarding any context. It isn't about mindlessly comparing counties, it's the fact that SD County is an urban, border county, while OC a completely suburban county, yet the urban border county is notably whiter. Then add the fact that OC is essentially the archtypical white conservative CA county, the home of B-1 Bob Dornan, Goldwater Country, etc.

OC was the most Republican voting county in the entire state of CA as recently as 2001. One wouldn't expect such a county to be less white than urban counties. SD Counties closest urban analogue in CA would be LA County, and that would be a radical demographic difference.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions