HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 6:35 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Wow! Great updates

I really like the Ivey Expansion and the Stoney Creek Community Centre. We really need a community centre like that in East London.

I also love how you can see the skyline from North London. I once heard a developer that was building subdivisions around Sunningdale claim that people enjoyed that the homes were relatively close to downtown! I wonder if they just saw the skyline and assumed they were living closer than someplace on the outskirts where the skyline isn't visible!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 3:06 AM
Sanity merchant

For pano's, use Kolor Autopano Giga 2.5

Best damned program I've ever used for it!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 4:05 AM

The differences in the second Tricar tower can already be seen.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 12:58 PM

The only differences I see are smaller windows and pre-cast panels...both of which scare me. But we'll see how it turns out. If it's basically a mirror of the first tower then it isn't terrible.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 4:57 AM

Construction Updates for September 10, 2011 (Click on the thumbnails for larger photos)

The future home of Shoppers Drug Mart is becoming one of the most attractive low-rise commercial buildings in downtown, in my opinion! Can't wait to step foot inside!

Heading south on Richmond, will take us to a semi-controversial project: The Youth Opportunities Unlimited development. You can see the office space on the newly created fourth floor.

"Phase II" of the Renaissance development at York and Ridout is next. They are building the fifth story now, which will be the last floor before the apartments start to rise. I'm really hoping these squares will be replaced by windows like in Phase I...

Just over the tracks on Horton, you can see the new Goodwill is now open! I went inside and took some photos, which you can find here. In this thread, I'm just going to show you exterior shots.

637 Dundas St. is coming along, with both the 3 floor and 9 floor sections rising. First two photos are from Marshall St, and the third from Dundas.

Work has begun on the 16th floor of Phase I of Medallion's Crown on King. Excluding the 16th floor, 8 stories to go!!

And here are a few shots of The Crown on King from a distance. They were taken from Elizabeth/Lyle & Dundas; Dundas & Hewitt; and from the corner of the TD Canada Trust parking lot.

And finally, just wanted to share a photo I took from Hewitt St, towards downtown.

If there is a certain construction project you'd like me to get a picture of, let me know.

Last edited by Kokkei Mizu; Sep 11, 2011 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 2:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

thanks for the comprehensive updates. great shots.

Even Shoppers Dog Fart looks quite good.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Sep 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
Construction Updates for September 10, 2011 (Click on the thumbnails for larger photos)

The future home of Shoppers Drug Mart is becoming one of the most attractive low-rise commercial buildings in downtown, in my opinion
A rare case of the building looking much better than the rendering used to sell it. An excellent and appropriately sized addition to the streetscape.

Quote:
Heading south on Richmond, will take us to a semi-controversial project: The Youth Opportunities Unlimited development. You can see the office space on the newly created fourth floor.
Controversy now, mostly artificial in nature generated by the Freep. Although there is clearly poor project management going on here, once complete and time passes, it will be seen a a gem of a restoration and a great thing.

Quote:
"Phase II" of the Renaissance development at York and Ridout is next. They are building the fifth story now, which will be the last floor before the apartments start to rise. I'm really hoping these squares will be replaced by windows like in Phase I...
They will. A key thing to note here is the existing adjacent building. This building, like almost every other building on this entire block has seen improvements and in some cases multi-million dollar upgrades, and the one beyond help torn down. It's a textbook example of how a major project can inject life into an entire neighbourhood.

Quote:
Just over the tracks on Horton, you can see the new Goodwill is now open!
Once again, a slow but steady improvement to this whole area. Think of how this area looked 7 to 10 years ago.

Quote:
637 Dundas St. is coming along, with both the 3 floor and 9 floor sections rising. First two photos are from Marshall St, and the third from Dundas.
These pics give a great visualization of how this is a substantial development that will make a difference to the streetscape here. An important first step.

Quote:
Work has begun on the 16th floor of Phase I of Medallion's Crown on King. Excluding the 16th floor, 8 stories to go!!
The grand experiment on the home stretch...

All in all, a lot of good news stories here. Not everything going on in the city is bad, and the glass is half full more often than some believe.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 6:37 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Excellent set of updates!

I think the Shoppers Drug Mart Building is coming along nicely. It's just so awesome to see this one almost finished now, because it seems like yesterday when I first heard about it. It got built so fast!

The Y.O.U. building is a pleasant surprise! Haven't seen too much of this type of restoration in the city. I agree with what Snark said, the Free Press blew the money probelm out of proportion.

Unfortunately the Ren II looks hideous right now. But I know it will get better! Too bad the podium couldn't be more glassy. I am actually starting to like the Ren. towers more and more though.

The new Goodwill building looks so nice, crisp, clean, and modern. What a great project!

I don't really have anything to say about 637 Dundas. I'm in the dark about what it will turn out like (other than a crummy black and white render), so I guess that makes it interesting!

And of course there's the Crown On King. It was looking huge from the Western Fair yesterday, and I'm sure it turned a few heads. Those were some of the best pictures I've seen of it, and I can now rest assured that it'll turn out pretty good. I'm actually liking the glass now!

Way to go Kokkei, and way to go London. We've got some great projects on the go!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 6:23 AM
bro

Dunno if you were planning to keep this as a personal thread, Kokkei, or if you meant for it to be Local London's general photo updates topic. Hopefully it's the latter because if not I'd feel like a dink for posting these:

The Marlboro on King and Colborne had new windows installed recently. To my knowledge, this place was vacant following a fire on one of the upper floors. Hopefully the owner continues to renovate.

The two duplexes on Dundas near Ontario are still being worked on. I'm a little disappointed with the direction the construction seems to be heading, but absolutely anything is an improvement over the dives these buildings used to be. It'll be interesting to see how these turn out.

The parkade next to my building is almost completely gone. It's neat that the apartments in the back of those Richmond buildings will have some sun and a view for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 2:29 PM
Beefeater

The CASO Station in St Thomas had its grand opening last night and the local Chamber of Commerce had their monthly business after 5 event at it which gave me the opportunity to take some pictures of the finished product.

Authentic to the era

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 4:45 PM

Yeah they've been doing amazing things to that station! That's a perfect example of where, if you ask the government for money, they will pay out. If you don't ask, you shouldn't complain *cough*London*cough*.

And bolognium, it's all good. This thread is for everyone! But I must ask, where is that parkade?! And do you know why it's being torn down? Is something taking its place?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 5:29 PM
bro

What a wonderful restoration. Thanks for the pictures, Highinthesky.

Kokkei, that parkade is in the centre of the Dundas/Richmond/Queens/Clarence block right behind the London Music Hall. Unfortunately I believe it is being demolished due to structural problems. I'm fairly certain that the only thing that will be replacing it is a surface parking lot. On the bright side all of the apartments facing that parkade will now have some sun and a decent view, heh.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 11:02 AM

Wow, what a nice restoration, very nice building, I like the interior alot.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 12:19 AM

Construction Updates for October 10, 2011 (Click on the thumbnails for larger photos)

The new St. Joseph's Mental Hospital at Commissioners and Wellington is starting construction as the crane has been raised in the last week or so. Also, the parking garage is finished, and it doesn't look too bad compared to most parking garages. Finally, it looks like a main entrance will be constructed at Wellington and Waterman Ave (the corner with Crabby Joe's), so I'm guessing it will be a new location for stoplights. That'll help the traffic in the area

Next is the 3-story mixed-use building going up in Wortley Village. Right now it is at ground level. It'll be nice to see this one completed.

Heading up Riverside Dr. to Beaverbrook Ave, we will find Nuvo Condos. I haven't reported on this project since the spring, so a lot of progress has been made.

The first floor of apartments at Phase II of the Renaissance can be seen now. The balconies are clearly defined. Also the windows on the first floor have been installed. They are considerably smaller than Phase I's storefronts.

Shoppers Drug Mart now has signage as some people have mentioned on here. Also the scaffolding has been removed from Richmond St, giving a nice view of the front of the building. This is definitely a gem of London! The last photo shows inside the building.

Medallion's Crown on King continues to rise.

And it looks like Phase II might be starting sooner than people may think?

637 Dundas St. is starting to take form. First two photos are from Marshall St, and the third from Dundas.

And I took a drive over to Innovation Park. Phase I (between Bradley and Hamilton) has been under considerable construction recently. A lot of earth is being moved, making me think that factories are about to be built. There are already a few factories in the park near the north end.

And lastly, here's two photos taken of the London skyline from Wortley and Horton. The fall colours are in full swing. And if you look closely, you can see Phase II of the Renaissance peek through the trees.

If there is a certain construction project you'd like me to get a picture of, let me know.

Last edited by Kokkei Mizu; Oct 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 12:38 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Your updates are always great.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:56 AM

I'd like to see work on the Sarnia Road bridge. I drove by there last night but was too dark to see much of anything, except that it looks like the deck on the east end looks pretty much complete.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 9:03 PM
User Registered

Very cool!

Perhaps you could let us know the next time you do one of these? I'm sure a few of us could get together to view the ongoing progress in this city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I'd like to see work on the Sarnia Road bridge. I drove by there last night but was too dark to see much of anything, except that it looks like the deck on the east end looks pretty much complete.
There's a few photos showing the progress here: http://www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Road_..._Info_Page.htm

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 5:47 AM
bro

Anyone think the downtown population can sustain a 24hr Shoppers?

Right now the Mac's at Wellington/Dundas is the go-to with its half decent selection and 24hr Subway. It'd be nice to see some competition between the Shoppers and Mac's for best late-night store.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2011, 12:14 PM

^^ I do and with the population downtown continuing to rise it will have no problem at all.

The downtown also needs something like that to attract more people to live there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 1:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

A Shoppers Dog Fart with an expanded line of grocery items would sustain 24 hours. We had plenty of them 24 hour places (under the name of Pharma-Pricks) in Montreal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates