HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:29 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Rockefeller Center has a fence around theirs...meh.
The Rockefeller Center also has the "Top of the Rock" observatory deck, art, music, a lego store, cafes, shops and lots of business nearby.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:38 PM
Busy Beaver

We have city council, a.k.a. "Cirque de la ville", next to ours.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 8:22 PM

I think it looks pretty sweet! It's gonna be packed on those days that the canal isn't able to open due to ice conditions. This weekend will probably be mayhem.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
The Rockefeller Center also has the "Top of the Rock" observatory deck, art, music, a lego store, cafes, shops and lots of business nearby.
Yes, I think we're all aware of that. I was just pointing out that a fence around the rink doesn't mean automatic urban space failure. Next.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 3:59 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Yes, I think we're all aware of that. I was just pointing out that a fence around the rink doesn't mean automatic urban space failure. Next.
True, but the Rink of Dreams is hardly an urban public space achievement. If the city was smart and imaginative (HA!), they would/could turn the Rink of Dreams, City Hall, and Cofnederation Park into a rather nice urban space with events, shops and attractions.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
True, but the Rink of Dreams is hardly an urban public space achievement. If the city was smart and imaginative (HA!), they would/could turn the Rink of Dreams, City Hall, and Cofnederation Park into a rather nice urban space with events, shops and attractions.
It would not take much just look at the Misssissuaga town square its very basic but its nice and fits the need of the citizens.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:28 PM
National Capital Region

Since the Rink of Dreams is hardly located in an already successful urban space, it really doesn't need additional impediments placed on it. From what I can tell though, the fence is removable to allow it to be used for other things in the rest of the year (presumably with dropped curb and all), so my point still remains: someone with a "fence it in" mentality decided that the rink - and only when used as a rink - needed fencing in.

If they really believe some kind of fencing is needed to prevent people from mindlessly wandering onto the ice (and what other reason could there be?), at least be a little creative about it: they could have ringed it with benches set back a couple of feet and achieved the same results.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 4:48 PM

by southfacing on Flickr:

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 6:56 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Since the Rink of Dreams is hardly located in an already successful urban space, it really doesn't need additional impediments placed on it. From what I can tell though, the fence is removable to allow it to be used for other things in the rest of the year (presumably with dropped curb and all), so my point still remains: someone with a "fence it in" mentality decided that the rink - and only when used as a rink - needed fencing in.

If they really believe some kind of fencing is needed to prevent people from mindlessly wandering onto the ice (and what other reason could there be?), at least be a little creative about it: they could have ringed it with benches set back a couple of feet and achieved the same results.
Impediments? Have you ever been to the small yet enjoyable marvel that is Bryant Park in New York? Nevermind the Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park is a fantastic, compact, and efficient urban space.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 11:30 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:

Maybe the Sens wanted it to have a resemblance to an outdoor hockey rink? But as J-P mentioned, Bryant Park has see through boards as well

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 12:28 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Impediments? Have you ever been to the small yet enjoyable marvel that is Bryant Park in New York? Nevermind the Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park is a fantastic, compact, and efficient urban space.
It's an additional barrier to movement and interaction, just like all those annoying fences that restaurants have to put around their patios if they want to serve alcohol.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 7:46 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
It's an additional barrier to movement and interaction, just like all those annoying fences that restaurants have to put around their patios if they want to serve alcohol.
I've yet to hear any complaints about outdoor patios unless loud drunks are involved. It's such a minor issue that in most places it ISN'T an issue. Also, the rails can be useful and often aren't an impediment to interaction. Some German tourists called me over from across the skating barrier in Bryant Park to take a picture of them. It wasn't any kind of problem. I also saw skating rookies using it as a support and for balancing purposes. You really are making a big deal out of nothing.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
I've yet to hear any complaints about outdoor patios unless loud drunks are involved. It's such a minor issue that in most places it ISN'T an issue. Also, the rails can be useful and often aren't an impediment to interaction. Some German tourists called me over from across the skating barrier in Bryant Park to take a picture of them. It wasn't any kind of problem. I also saw skating rookies using it as a support and for balancing purposes. You really are making a big deal out of nothing.
I think Dado does have a point... the practice in Ontario is to have these rinks as part of an urban civic square with little to no barriers:

Toronto

Mississauga

Waterloo

Kitchener (one side with a hand railing)

Guelph

North York

Kingston

The lighting on the rink of dreams boards does look very cool though (see the video link below). I'd be interested to find out why they went with the boards.
http://en.video.canoe.tv/video/1415065106001

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:04 AM
Closed account

Barrie's also doesn't have boards. I don't have any pictures though.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 5:06 AM

Why go so far afield - the rink at Ben Franklin Place has no fence AND it is owned by the City of Ottawa.

That said, barrier is also ART in that it is lit by constantly changing colour LEDs in the evening.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa