HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:55 PM
arf

Mmm....turkey and stuffing sandwich at Coffee Matters.

Groceries can be shockingly expensive. Maybe it's better now, but I remember moving back to Saskatchewan and seeing apples for $1.29 and thinking I'd gone to heaven.

Yes, drivers are impatient. St. John's is the only city I've been to where I've been honked at to go through a red light.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah. If she has any concept of the cardinal points she's going to think Newfoundlanders don't know which way is up.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:12 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah. If she has any concept of the cardinal points she's going to think Newfoundlanders don't know which way is up.
She's pretty spatially aware. But then Calgary isn't exactly hard to figure out either.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I just wanted to add KAO79 and I are Facebook friends and I've rarely seen someone get as involved in a new city. Kao's social life is busier than mine. Definitely a great person to get the newcomer perspective.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:43 PM

Oh SHH, you're too kind. My social life is lacking, but my Facebook life is pretty fun! We still need to get out and take pictures. I just noticed you haven't posted in the St. John's photo thread since March 9!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd love to! And, yes, need to update soon. Work has been INSANE.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:25 PM
of Canada

So here we are just a little over a year later and my daughter is home for the summer. She had a great first year in St. John's and at MUN. And she's already looking forward to going back. I imagine by next year she may just stick around St. John's for the summer. She brought back this souvenir which really won't last long (fortunately if you look hard enough you can find them in Calgary):

All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
So here we are just a little over a year later and my daughter is home for the summer. She had a great first year in St. John's and at MUN. And she's already looking forward to going back. I imagine by next year she may just stick around St. John's for the summer. She brought back this souvenir which really won't last long (fortunately if you look hard enough you can find them in Calgary):

Glad to hear your daughter had a great year at MUN (and St. John's).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 8:49 PM

Eat those jam jams ASAP; they dry out quickly!

Glad to hear your daughter enjoyed the city, it's a shame she's leaving before the best season of the year

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:12 PM
of Canada

UPDATE!!!!!

Hmmmmm, a year since this thread was active. My daughter is home for a week. Or I should say, in Calgary for a week (and brought JamJams of course).

Home is definitely St. John's for her now. Her drivers license was about to expire so before she left, she exchanged it for a NL license. I guess now that she has her membership card, she's officially moved there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:20 PM

Quote:
UPDATE!!!!!

Hmmmmm, a year since this thread was active. My daughter is home for a week. Or I should say, in Calgary for a week (and brought JamJams of course).

Home is definitely St. John's for her now. Her drivers license was about to expire so before she left, she exchanged it for a NL license. I guess now that she has her membership card, she's officially moved there.
Awesome We need more young people here. Glad to hear everything's going well for her. Now that she's had to make the painful pilgrimage to the Mount Pearl DMV, and has felt our pain, she's officially one of us

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:29 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Awesome We need more young people here. Glad to hear everything's going well for her. Now that she's had to make the painful pilgrimage to the Mount Pearl DMV, and has felt our pain, she's officially one of us
Yeah, I couldn't believe that's the only place in town where you can do that. I even asked SignalHillHiker if that was true and sure enough. She went there using transit - it wasn't her best day on record

Unlike here though, she got her license right away (didn't have to wait a week for it to come in the mail).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't believe that's the only place in town where you can do that. I even asked SignalHillHiker if that was true and sure enough. She went there using transit - it wasn't her best day on record

Unlike here though, she got her license right away (didn't have to wait a week for it to come in the mail).
Wow. I'm not sure which neighbourhood in town she lives in, but this is a real trek. I had to do this back in the fall; got a 40 minute bus from Memorial University to the Village Mall, then paid for a 20 dollar, 20 minute cab ride from the Village to the DMV. Another bus transfer and ride probably takes another 35 minutes but I didn't feel like waiting a half hour for the transfer.

It really is a day long ordeal.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Very flattered to hear it, RWin.

Sucks having her so far away, I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 6:33 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Haha, I looked up the DMV on google maps and ended up just keeping AB plates and license for my 5 years there. I'm glad she is still enjoying herself there, but not surprised. It's a great place to be a student.

I hope you've fulfilled your duty as a Calgarian to make her as jealous as possible about the weather this winter. Just ask SHH, jeddy, or Marty...I've been relentless since January on Facebook.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:45 PM
of Canada

I certainly can't complain about the weather here. I must admit I chuckled a little bit last week. But then thought, "Wait a minute, that could ground planes and she's traveling this week "

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 9:30 PM

hahaha oh the hour trek one way to the DMV on Metrobus.... how I miss thee!! I also had to partake in a new NL ID, and was also very surprised when I received my card after talking to the clerk for 3 minutes. In BC, we usually have to wait 2-3 weeks and the card is much better quality, now with chips built in for security.

RWin I'm glad your daughter has enjoyed herself here so far. It's definitely a fun and entertaining place to be!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's