HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I'm pretty sure Quebec does not make up 25% of the economy... it barely makes up 23% of the population.

And Resource Money from Alberta and the West subsidized Social Programs in Quebec, this is obvious, even to on Ontarian which at one time, also contributed to the economic well being of Quebec, although less so now, that we are struggling here with our Economy in Ontario and Toronto.
25% or 23% is about the same

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:14 PM

The thing that worries me the most about a Quebec separation is the existence of French as an official language.

We lose the majority of our French speakers, so why keep it? But if we lose it we alienate the population that still speaks French as well as our long history.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:17 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
ok 23% of the population, and 20% of GDP, means that Quebec is a net gainer from confederation. As services and resources are directed their to maintain an equality within the services which are provided to all provinces.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:38 PM

This isn't a post advocating for separation, but I think it could possibly be mutually beneficial, with both Canada and Quebec doing better going their own ways. After all, just look at how some other countries have prospered once they separated.

Norway and Sweden have both done better during the 100 years since they separated from each other. And even after some initial growing pains, The Czech Republic and Slovakia seem to be doing better on their own.

Maybe we've been wasting too much energy keeping these two cultures together, when Canada and Quebec could both be doing more productive things?

Just a thought.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:44 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
This isn't a post advocating for separation, but I think it could possibly be mutually beneficial, with both Canada and Quebec doing better going their own ways. After all, just look at how some other countries have prospered once they separated.

Norway and Sweden have both done better during the 100 years since they separated from each other. And even after some initial growing pains, The Czech Republic and Slovakia seem to be doing better on their own.

Maybe we've been wasting too much energy keeping these two cultures together, when Canada and Quebec could both be doing more productive things?

Just a thought.
The problem with that is that these two cultures have been working together pretty darn well. It wasn't until the 60's that the proverbial shit started to hit the fan, and revisionist history took over in Quebec.

I honestly think that if we granted a bit more power to the provinces and the media paid less attentions to the trolls on this issue, our country would be better off for it.

Historical side note: Originally, Quebec wanted English-Canadians to join with them in creating a bilingual country coast-to-coast that had its own unique culture, rather than trying so hard to be British.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:49 PM
New Brunswick booster!

But if Atlantic Canada is completely separated from the rest of the country what would happen? we are ignored for the most part enough as it is...what happens if we have another country between us? I guess we would need to start to look at maybe becoming one province and look at what Alaska and Hawaii do to stay connected with the rest of the United States?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 4:49 PM
video et taceo

the '60s wasn't really when french quebec "got pissed off at english canada" or whatever. it was when they, for internal reasons, threw off the previous church-run societal arrangement, with nationalism, and the idea of being "maitres chez nous," being kind of a side-quality of that thought.

it was never really about english canada in the beginning. the fact that it grew to contain these tensions is due firstly to conditions specific to montreal island, and secondly to the natural demagoguery of politics in a democratic country.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:07 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
the '60s wasn't really when french quebec "got pissed off at english canada" or whatever. it was when they, for internal reasons, threw off the previous church-run societal arrangement, with nationalism, and the idea of being "maitres chez nous," being kind of a side-quality of that thought.

it was never really about english canada in the beginning. the fact that it grew to contain these tensions is due firstly to conditions specific to montreal island, and secondly to the natural demagoguery of politics in a democratic country.
I suppose. I must admit that I do often forget about the role the Catholic Church played historically in Quebec. However, Canadians, be they English or French, managed to live rather peacefully and without much political vitriol for about a century. I don't see it as impossible to return to such a state or for Canada to continue to move forward as a bilingual country.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:14 PM
video et taceo

i don't either; i don't believe separation will happen.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post

Very well said... Most Canadians living outside Quebec have no clue of the internal struggles which went on in that province during the 50s and 60s.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:23 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
But if Atlantic Canada is completely separated from the rest of the country what would happen? we are ignored for the most part enough as it is...what happens if we have another country between us? I guess we would need to start to look at maybe becoming one province and look at what Alaska and Hawaii do to stay connected with the rest of the United States?
What about this people?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:23 PM

Quote:
The island of Newfoundland is only connected to the rest of the country by boat and we're making out okay. I don't see what the big deal about having Quebec seperating New Brunswick from Ontario would be. As well northern Quebec would likely stay in Canada so there would be a link from Labrador to Ontario, not a great link but a link at that.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:36 PM

I could see movements in parts of New Brunswick popping up in support of annexation from Quebec. I cant see the Acadians being comfortable with French being such a small minority nationally, as they aren't even comfortable with the way things are in New Brunswick now.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 5:55 PM
Dont let the name fool u

I dont think Quebec would be better off at all by separating from Canada.
I guess, the argument made is that because Quebecois are a `nation`, they need their own country, but as the dynamics of Quebec and Canada continue to change I think that point will continue to be less prevalent.

I dont think separation will happen.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 6:02 PM
DRINK

Quote:
What about this people?
I think nobody acknowledging this shows you just how insignificant that region is to people Ontario and west.

*coming from somebody who grew up in newfoundland*

Meh, this country is to big anyways.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 6:08 PM

Quebec would be decimated if they ever attempted to Separate!
  • No more equalization; while they piss and moan they oughta get all their tax revenue, they would lose equalization money. Their amount of social programs would have to be curtailed or increase of taxes to maintain them.
  • 25% of the National Debt; they could take their share of that national debt, which would grow enormously having to establish its own army, currency, passports, setting up various government departments.
  • Partition of Quebec: they think Canada is divisible, therefore Quebec must also be divisible. Most of the north and Indians in it would revert back to Canada, giving us a land bridge to Labrador. Quebec would exist as it did in 1867, all land given since was as a apart of Canada, not for a separate nation.
  • No Entry into NATO, NAFTA; Quebec would have to negotiate to enter into these organizations. Canada would make the terms brutal if not unacceptable for them to join. Quebec would become an island in itself in North America. With no market to sell to without punishing tariffs, Quebec's economy would be doomed

All in all Quebec has an amazing deal in Canada, whether they admit it or not. Sure things aren't perfect and 100% of the way THEY want it, but its a good compromise in their favour right now. But if they keep believing these idiot sovereigntists and think independence is viable, it'll be there loss that they'll come crawling back to the ROC!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 6:09 PM

It would also require moving the Quebec forum to the main page.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 6:18 PM

Western Canada will seperate (and be a much more viable country) before Quebec does.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 6:23 PM
Beefeater

If Quebec were to leave confederation with the same terriotory as they joined it, as they should, there is little doubt what would happen.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 6:56 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
Not in population and economy.

Even 0.01 is a difference in economic sense.

It would be interesting to see if a Western Canada seperation movement starts in the future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada