HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Based on this model, the residential tower should be between roughly 875' & 1,075' (depending on amenity levels & crown height).
If the building actually ends up reaching these heights, it wouldn't just be the tallest all residential building west of the Mississippi River. It would likely be the tallest outside of NYC and Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 4:17 AM

I'm telling you... If these towers actually happen with this level of style and detail they will be the absolute centerpiece for the city. Everything else will just be orbiting them...not to mention all the money it will make.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
If you want something a bit more specific, a quarter block in Austin allows around 15k square feet for a floor plate. For the office tower, that equates to 59 floors. Assuming a relatively conservative 12’ slab to slab height with no amenity floors and architectural flourishes and not counting the lobby or retail, that’s 705’ already.

For the condo + apartment tower, I’ll assume an average of 1000 square feet for the apartments and 1500 square feet for the condos. That’s 15 apartment units per floor and 10 condos per floor for about 30 floors of each. Again not counting amenities, retail, lobbies, variations in floor plans, architectural aspects, etc, which could all greatly affect height that gives you at least another 700’ tower.
These properties are each 1/2 block or roughly 35,000 square feet. You also forgot to account for about 20 levels of parking.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 5:30 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
These properties are each 1/2 block or roughly 35,000 square feet. You also forgot to account for about 20 levels of parking.
Each tower is 1/4 block, not 1/2. The property itself is 1/2 block as a whole, extending from the alleyway to one street.

FWIW, I used google earth to measure the dimensions of the current buildings to estimate what floor plate square footage would be for each of two replacement towers.

And yes — I did forget parking, but it seems like parking might be mostly underground here.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Filed for AULCC. These are going to be big.

ATX East Tower = 500 Apts. + 300 Condos + 15K Sq. Ft. Retail

ATX West Tower = 884K Sq. Ft. office + 15K Sq. Ft. Retail

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/.../200213/PLANS/
This makes me wonder if those OTHER projects that are still in the development would go back to the drawing board to keep up with this..

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Each tower is 1/4 block, not 1/2. The property itself is 1/2 block as a whole, extending from the alleyway to one street.

FWIW, I used google earth to measure the dimensions of the current buildings to estimate what floor plate square footage would be for each of two replacement towers.

And yes — I did forget parking, but it seems like parking might be mostly underground here.
Are you sure? Tract 1 is between the alley and 4th Street - Brazos and San Jacinto. Tract 2 is between the alley and 4 Street - San Jacinto and Trinity. That equals two half blocks or one whole block. That is how I see the site plans as they exist now for the Railyard Condos.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 6:02 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
Are you sure? Tract 1 is between the alley and 4th Street - Brazos and San Jacinto. Tract 2 is between the alley and 4 Street - San Jacinto and Trinity. That equals two half blocks or one whole block. That is how I see the site plans as they exist now for the Railyard Condos.
I forgot about the other half block.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
The "renderings" on page one show around 15 levels of above-ground parking for each tower.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 1:05 AM
Rundberg & I35

I'm estimating 885 ft for the office tower and 805 ft or the residential tower.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 3:38 AM

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 9:52 PM

In my opinion the east tower looks like super tall status, while the west tower looks around 750’ or so. I’m too lazy to do FAR and any math since we don’t even know floor heights(residential typically 10.5’, commercial 15.6’ parking 8.5’). Either way these will make Austin in competition with some of the top few cities in the country.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:26 PM

I love this but I'm still processing 6X and BBVA

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:28 PM

Supposedly the city and folks behind this project have a solution that will be able to accommodate the CC expansion. Not sure what it entails, but I'm told there will be a public announcement in the next week or so.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Supposedly the city and folks behind this project have a solution that will be able to accommodate the CC expansion. Not sure what it entails, but I'm told there will be a public announcement in the next week or so.
That's good to hear. Might add height to the project.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 6:03 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
That's good to hear. Might add height to the project.
The currently proposed CC expansion will have little to no affect on the height of these towers. I believe this site is outside of the expansion zone.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
The currently proposed CC expansion will have little to no affect on the height of these towers. I believe this site is outside of the expansion zone.
The preferred expansion footprint includes the eastern Railyard condo building. It would go from the new Marriott all the way north to 4th street.

I don't know if there's a contingency for less than that . . . the plans I've seen (now at least a year ago) relied on that specific footprint for the square footage they were targeting.

Hopefully whatever is announced with Karlin allows for the whole thing to go go forward. If so, then the Railyard situation is actually a solution to one of the goals of the whole expansion, which was to allow development on top of or in addition to the exhibit space itself. The city has always wanted to be responsive to folks who point to convention districts as normally dead spaces in the middle of cities. If the Railyard towers can be built along with the expansion, you've gone a long way to mitigating that problem.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
I can see this project working with the CC expansion. But I'm wondering about the Block 16 office tower? That one is probably dead.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I can see this project working with the CC expansion. But I'm wondering about the Block 16 office tower? That one is probably dead.
From what I can glean from conversations on my end, the Block 16 developers were always assumed to be just trying to drive up perceived value; Karlin, on the other hand, has been much more serious from the beginning, and treated as a real player.

I think you're right about Block 16, for what it's worth. They'll take the buyout money and pretty much not look back.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 11:00 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
I think you're right about Block 16, for what it's worth. They'll take the buyout money and pretty much not look back.
Sandy Gottesman is not a developer - at least when constructing 500+ foot-tall towers is considered. This was (is) a money play similar to that of Tom Stacey (5th & Congress) and Mac Pike (WPP).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
You're not correct. This is Phase 1 of the proposed expansion:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin