HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
I like the tower portion - the outer skin looks like Art Noveau meets industrial. Pretty cool.
Excellent. I don't need to be blown away by height. But I do want non-cookie cutter growth that can transform a neighborhood. Bonus points for actually having some interesting design elements that don't fall into the tired 1111 Wilshire variety.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSaeculaSaeculorum View Post
Los Angeles isn't in decline but it is not growing either. That report highlights serious problems concerning poverty, public health services and the rising income gap. It's really vacuous and vapid for the boosters here to plug their ears and scream "la, la, la" when confronted with these issues, but we know for everyone here L.A. begins downtown and stops at the 405.

LA is reorientating itself to become more urban, but it's not growing. I know this forum is generally right-wing/libertarian leaning but pointing out a few new downtown buildings and some trendy boutique shops is a really shallow indicator of growth.

Again......must I repost everything I have already written...... your statement "L.A. is not growing either"......... in what universe is it not growing? its literally bursting at the seams.. reason why L.A is starting to build up and not out. or economy is growing, population is growing and so on....we are growing at a very good and steady pace..... and we are the largest economy on the west coast., from the way it looks, we will always be the main gateway on the west coast......

Public health services.... again....L.A. county has some of the best hospitals in the nation and many are upgrading and adding to their facilities. now if you are referring to homeless people not having adequate health care.... I work at a hospital and trust me... they have access if they choose to use it and all the free clinics around the city...L.A. public health is doing just fine ! if not the best since pre recession times....

Your next statement " everyone here thinks L.A. begins downtown and stops at the 405".... No one is forgetting the L.A. that continues below the 10..... ive seen plenty of people on here mentioning most of ALL of L.A.....which leads to my next observation of another one of your statements that made me scratch my head......."pointing out a few new downtown buildings and some trendy boutique shops is a really shallow indicator of growth".............so than basically your saying you don't get out that much..... HAVE YOU VENTURED SOUTH OF THE 10 FWY YOURSELF???? development is going crazy ALL OVER THE METRO, Long Beach, LAX, most of the south bay, stretches along the 605, I drove through Compton and than the city of south gate, pretty much the heart of south central, and I saw some huge redevelopments going on in parts of those cities. and not to mention that Hollywood park is being torn down in Inglewood.... yes it was a landmark but what's replacing it will surely help Inglewood in the long run.

Yes this particular thread says L.A. Metro and I agree that most of the updates are geared towards developments stretching from the 110 to santa monica but to post EVERY development in the L.A. metro would take atleast 20 of the first pages of this thread alone. So you crying that L.A isn't growing and that its riddled with problems.....well maybe you should get out more. its only looking bright to me compared to 10 years ago. and the 90's... yeah.. we are doing just fine. we ALL know the problems of L.A....... we live here and see it everyday..... we don't need a few people on here to point them out randomly every time they log on like we forgot what they just posted yesterday? relax.

Last edited by caligrad; Jan 12, 2014 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 10:42 PM
Ascension

Paragraphs are sorely needed in the previous post.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 10:57 PM
:o

No offense but when I see a post like #4083, I think TL;DR.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Paragraphs are sorely needed in the previous post.
Sorry about that. im still a bit new this forum, trying to figure out how to separate it without it looking weird. Eclipse, your missing out on good convo bud HAHA but I didn't take offense. your right. when I see long ones like that, I tend to skip over them too. Just happens when you have a lot to say,

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
I wish something would be proposed for that strip mall on cahuenga and Selma.
I disagree, I think that strip mall is actually not too bad. There are so many more lots throughout Hollywood that should be tackled. For instance, the parking lot that is directly behind it at Ivar / Selma that serves Space 15 Twenty is a primo place for one of those 7-story mixed users.

If anything, I'd love to see the little parking lot of that strip mall converted into a pocket park with outdoor seating for the 4-5 restaurants. Similar examples are this old strip mall on Melrose or here in Pasadena.

I am unsure if those lots were ever actually strip malls, but I think something like this could be adapted for that Selma / Cahuenga lot (though there are probably battles on multiple fronts to remove those 20-30 parking spots for sure).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 12:20 AM

I passed by the new Line Hotel at Wilshire and Normandie a few days ago and thought I'd share two pictures. Here is the hotel and its driveway from across Wilshire Blvd:

I'm very happy that they've placed planters along the sidewalk, and that they are covering up some of the building's blank walls with plants.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:38 PM

Huge improvements considering how bland that hotel was before. The blank wall facing the intersection isn't great, but there's not much you can do to fix that. The ivy will do a nice job of obscuring it, at least.

Access Culver City

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...city.html#more

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:48 PM

One Broadway

Admittedly this is OC, not LA, but it looks like construction equipment is on-site at One Broadway in Santa Ana. This will be a 37-story condo development in Santa Ana. I think it will be the tallest residential building in Orange County.

Here is a link for the building: http://www.onebroadwayplaza.com/. There is a webcam on the website with a photo of the construction equipment.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:11 PM
Pacific Wonderland

One Broadway is office, actually. The webcam says coming soon, I hope this is finally getting started.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
One Broadway is office, actually. The webcam says coming soon, I hope this is finally getting started.
My mistake regarding office vs. residential.

Although there is no webcam yet, there is a photo on the website showing drilling equipment and other construction equipment on site.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:34 PM

That webcam image for One Broadway Plaza has been unchanged for at least one year. I don't think it's going to happen.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:13 PM

Culver City has so much potential. There's a nice downtown area already.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:58 AM

^^^ Speaking of Culver City, any word on the "Grand Staircase" project? Haven't heard much since it got approved.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 2:10 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...e-housing.html

This is an affordable housing development planned near Indiana Station on the Eastside Gold Line. 49 units, 7,000 sq ft of ground floor retail, 1/2 of units are reserved for formely homeless and/or mentally ill individuals. Completion expected March 2016.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 3:45 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's not half bad. Far better than a lot of the market rate buildings going up around downtown. Do we know who the architect is on this one?

That surface lot to the north looks like a ripe opportunity for another 4-5 story residential building.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ That's not half bad. Far better than a lot of the market rate buildings going up around downtown. Do we know who the architect is on this one?

That surface lot to the north looks like a ripe opportunity for another 4-5 story residential building.
It's a little ironic that developments like this and the ones done by Skid Row Housing Trust are at least equal to, if not better looking than a lot of the 7 story market rate structures in downtown. I also think it's great that Metro is taking on some of the housing issues. Somebody has to...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:17 PM

Was taking a walk today at lunch around Century City and was pondering what the deal is with the gigantic crater on the northeast corner of Constellation and Avenue of the Stars. Does any know what the story is behind this? It looks as if they dug out the foundation for a building and just gave up on it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...e-housing.html

This is an affordable housing development planned near Indiana Station on the Eastside Gold Line. 49 units, 7,000 sq ft of ground floor retail, 1/2 of units are reserved for formely homeless and/or mentally ill individuals. Completion expected March 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
It's a little ironic that developments like this and the ones done by Skid Row Housing Trust are at least equal to, if not better looking than a lot of the 7 story market rate structures in downtown. I also think it's great that Metro is taking on some of the housing issues. Somebody has to...
Ha! You absolutely nailed it. We'd be critical of this if it was built in South Park but the fact that it's in the relatively architecturally uninspired Eastside AND caters to the formerly homeless . . . not bad at all. Can't wait to see higher density get built along this and the other light rail lines in the county. Time to spread the DTLA boom distally along the rail lines, especially into the lower income neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Was taking a walk today at lunch around Century City and was pondering what the deal is with the gigantic crater on the northeast corner of Constellation and Avenue of the Stars. Does any know what the story is behind this? It looks as if they dug out the foundation for a building and just gave up on it.
This is supposed to go there:

http://www.centurycitycenter.com/

FEIR was released late last year. Not sure what the timeline is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations