HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 7:13 PM

I really like Option 3, the way it integrates the existing buildings better. As a former science student at MUN, I think that option makes the most sense, and the 10 story centre portion of one of the buildings makes for a strong, central visual on campus as well (other than the clocktower).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 7:55 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
First off: YAY! A new science building has been needed for quite some time.

I saw the several different proposals for how they'd build the building, and where. One of which is a 10-storey building on the corner of Prince Phillip Drive and Morrissey Road (in front of the Business building). All the other proposals aren't as impressive. If I come across the PDF file again I'll post it.

EDIT: Here it is!

http://www.mun.ca/facman/about/Site_Options.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I really like Option 3, the way it integrates the existing buildings better. As a former science student at MUN, I think that option makes the most sense, and the 10 story centre portion of one of the buildings makes for a strong, central visual on campus as well (other than the clocktower).
The first proposal looks like it's just a representation of how much space is needed rather than something likely to be built. However, the campus could use some more landmark buildings. Maybe the third is a better option although it would reduce the courtyard considerably. Options two or four look like something more likely to be built.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:30 PM
ハルウララ

Option 1 or 3 please!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That'd look cool. I find most of the university buildings absolutely hideous but, altogether as a campus, it's kind of cool. LOVE the new residences, however. I wish we'd put up a few apartment buildings like those.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 8:54 PM

I really like option 1. It could definitely be a landmark building for MUN.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 10:04 PM

I really wish the courtyard between the University Center and Bruneau Center could be turned in to greenspace, something out campus lacks. However, MUN's huge 50-year plan involves squeezing buildings in to every inch of space they have.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 10:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If you want green space, put on your rubbers and go stand in the pond. lol

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 10:17 PM

I think options 1 or 2 are the best, but options 3 or 4 are more likely to be built. I think they should try to have it all in one building so that they leave possible lots empty for future projects or green space. I also think having one science building would function better than 2 spread across the campus. And like some of you had said, the universe could use more iconic buildings

Edit: university. Stupid autocorrect

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 10:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great typo.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:08 PM

Wow! awesome... I think something like this would be a great addition to MUN
I like option 2 or 3.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:17 AM

The universe as a whole could also use a few more iconic buildings, I think your typo is up to something

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 11:31 AM

Majority of St. John’s residents happy with quality of life: survey

Quote:
Two-thirds of St. John’s-area residents love where they live — warts and all.
Research firm MQO with Cape Consulting — and local partner The Telegram — released Thursday the results of a comprehensive survey conducted in St. John’s, Moncton and Halifax over the past two weeks.
The survey asked 400 St. John’s-area residents dozens of questions in broad areas, including quality of life, health care, crime, the economy and municipal services, with answers broken down along demographic lines as well.
Asked to rate the quality of life in St. John’s from one (“very poor”) to 10 (“excellent”), 67 per cent of respondents gave the area a mark of eight or higher.
Generally speaking, MQO vice-president of research Corinne MacGillivray King said Thursday morning, the older the respondent, the more satisfied they appear to be, and women reported higher satisfaction levels than men.
While 77 per cent of respondents aged 55 and older ranked St. John’s quality of life an eight or higher, just 58 per cent of respondents aged 18 to 34 did.
Sixty-two per cent of men felt the area’s quality of life deserved top marks, while 71 per cent of women did.
The survey also compares re­spon­ses from Moncton and Halifax. St. John’s residents’ satisfaction was not quite as strong as Monctonians’ — at 69 per cent — but higher than Haligonians’ 57 per cent.
Other results provide contrasts between local perceptions and personal realities.
While 52 per cent of respondents gave high marks to St. John’s vibrant economy, only 33 per cent responded similarly when asked to rate their own job prospects.
Just 38 per cent of residents rated their satisfaction with municipal services an eight or higher, with specific categories ranging from 47 per cent giving top marks to local police services, to 11 per cent satisfied with the city’s access to affordable housing.
King said the survey is meant to get some information on the municipalities in which the company operates.
“We typically do provincial survey work, we typically do regional work, and we thought, everybody wants to know what residents are thinking,” she said. “We live here. We have offices in Moncton and Halifax as well, so we have researchers there in those markets, so it was to kind of get a sense of those marketplaces.”...
Continue reading to see what the board of trade thinks of th survey

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...fe%3A-survey/1

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Majority of St. John’s residents happy with quality of life: survey

Continue reading to see what the board of trade thinks of th survey

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...fe%3A-survey/1

It's a shame they don't release the general location of those interviewed, however it shows that my generation are not as happy with the quality of life in St. John's as say their parents generation are.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 11:57 AM

Here's the report on the Wedgewood Park "Community Centre", I always figured recreation centre was more accurate.

http://www.stjohns.ca/cityhall/pdfs/...nityCentre.pdf

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 12:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

October 12, 2012

Messed up my settings again this morning (experimenting). Some of these photos are best not viewed any larger than this, ha!

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm such a psycho, I went back on my lunch break and re-shot most of the blurry scenes.

Development in Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

St. John's from Signal Hill by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Sunrise over Signal Hill by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Gower Street at Military Road and Cavendish Square by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

351 Water Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Fortis Place by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Convention Centre Expansion by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Henry-Bell Condo Complex by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

New Construction on Livingstone Street by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

St. John's from Signal Hill by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Long's Hill and Harvey Road by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 1:58 PM

Great Pictures as usual

hey did you guys ever wonder what the inside of that castle like house off marine dr (Zaleski Residence - Logy Bay) is like? I stumbled across pics of it not too shabby! LOL

Follow the link to check out the other pics (I just thought it was cool so I'd share it with u guys)

http://www.jtcon.net/newbuildings.html

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:09 PM

Great pictures, as always Signal I never noticed how the shape of Fortis is coming along, but it looks great!

And I don't know much about the Marine Drive castle except that part of the East Coast trail passes near there, and the people who live there didn't want people walking around their home.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thanks, guys.

One more, includes PoscStudent's development:

Forest Road and Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

And the new MUN residences. I'm surprised by how much I love those two buildings. I wouldn't mind a whole projects-style neighbourhood with lots of them, ha:

Memorial University of Newfoundland by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

And where 351 Water Street will soon add a little beauty to this mess, ha:

Downtown West End of St. John's by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Development in Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

And one more new view for me:

St. John's from The Battery Hotel by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Thanks, guys.

One more, includes PoscStudent's development:

Forest Road and Pleasantville by SignalHillHiker, on Flickr
Look at the difference in size in the old General Hospital and the new long term care facility ... things have changed!

I'm happy they did something with the old General Hospital, (eventhough it'd be too creepy for myself to live there lol) It has alot of history in it.. and it's a great renovation project

This is before renovations lol

A little bit about it:

Quote:
The foundations on which the General Hospital were laid go back to well over 150 years. The need for a General hospital was first raised in 1808, but it was not until 1813 that a building was erected under the chairmanship of Doctor William Carson. The Riverhead Hospital as it was known was used until 1888 when it had become unhabitable and a menace, so that it was burnt under the direction of the Fire Brigade. In 1870 when the battalions were withdrawn from St. John's the military hospital was turned over to the Government. It was fit only for temporary use so the Riverhead hospital continued to be used.

The military hospital built in 1851 is one of the oldest buildings left standing in St. John's. It is of heavy stone construction and was built by the workers who built the Anglican Cathedral, the Roman Catholic Basilica and the Colonial Building. From 1871 to 1874 renovations and additions were carried out and it became known as the Forest Road or Quidi Vidi Hospital. In the 1880's the name was changed to the General Hospital. Patients were admitted in 1874. The renovations included a hot air furnace, installation of toilets, a kitchen, pantry and linen rooms. There were still many inadequacies in the Hospital and in his 1879 report Dr. Charles Crowdy, the first Resident Medical Superitndent requested "separate surgical wards so that doctors could operate in a proper operating room, rather than in a ward with other patients and behind a baize screen."
If i'm not mistaken, someone told me that before there were more wings to the hostpital which were demolished ??

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:33 PM

Signal on fire again!

I noticed today that an area on Goldstone (across from Kent contractors) that was formerly a wooded area has been cleared out. Does anyone know any specifics on this? I'm guessing more office space.

Last edited by statbass; Oct 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM. Reason: typo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's