HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Why was it so important for Hydro to have large floor plates? I've forgotten the reasons.
I think that was (and is) the trend... large floorplates so you could have as many units on the same floor as possible.

As vike has mentioned before, Canada Life is another corporate HQ that could have had a skyscraper instead.

So alternate universe downtown Winnipeg has a 50-storey Canada Life tower, a 46-storey Hydro tower and a 40/50 storey pair of TNS twins, all with the same amount of floorspace that exists now.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 9:32 PM

why does talk radio have to exist on AM only, why can't FM have a talk radio? with podcasts, satelite radio, lots of talk available. some car no longer have AM radio

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...t-be-1.6852954

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
why does talk radio have to exist on AM only, why can't FM have a talk radio? with podcasts, satelite radio, lots of talk available. some car no longer have AM radio

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...t-be-1.6852954
I think FM dials are getting pretty crowded in most larger cities. I guess the space is more profitably used to play music. At one point CJOB applied to the CRTC for an FM simulcast but they were denied, I wonder how that would work out if they tried applying now? CBC got approved for a FM simulcast some years back and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where most of their local listeners were nowadays.

I find it hard to believe that the AM signal couldn't be put to some good use? Like a semi-automated station just playing tunes? But apparently not. At this point AM in Manitoba is just a mishmash of small rural stations and CJOB.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 9:42 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Why was it so important for Hydro to have large floor plates? I've forgotten the reasons.
they didn't want any departments spread over two floors.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 9:44 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think that was (and is) the trend... large floorplates so you could have as many units on the same floor as possible.

As vike has mentioned before, Canada Life is another corporate HQ that could have had a skyscraper instead.

So alternate universe downtown Winnipeg has a 50-storey Canada Life tower, a 46-storey Hydro tower and a 40/50 storey pair of TNS twins, all with the same amount of floorspace that exists now.
Canada Life and Investor's group should both have towers...especially Canada Life.....its a massive company.

Even its Toronto building is taller

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 9:45 PM
surely you agree with me

Am radio also travels way farther.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 10:10 PM

I think in fairness, one could defend that IG does have a tower. Though as I recall, in typical Wpg fashion, the plan was for a second tower.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
I think in fairness, one could defend that IG does have a tower. Though as I recall, in typical Wpg fashion, the plan was for a second tower.
I may be wrong but I am not aware that this was ever the case... or at least, I don't recall ever seeing a second tower as part of the plan for One Canada Centre.

But that said, OCC is not a large tower for a company of IG's size. As I recall, it took a while before they even filled it out though, early on there were other tenants but now I'm fairly sure it's IG only. It is certainly a nice tower though, you get pretty posh vibes when you walk in.

Hell, the Canadian Wheat Board used to bring in several billion dollars a year, but the head office was not that big and modestly appointed, as if it was a simple RHA, school division or some such.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 1:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Am radio also travels way farther.
i miss cky could listen to it in lynn lake

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 2:54 PM

I'm pretty sure the original plan was for a second tower behind OCC.
BTW...CFRW/1290 left the air yesterday. No more comedy, or Ice games.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
I'm pretty sure the original plan was for a second tower behind OCC.
BTW...CFRW/1290 left the air yesterday. No more comedy, or Ice games.
Yesterday I speculated that the ICE could move to online only like a couple of other WHL teams including, from what I can tell, Portland and Edmonton. But I guess there's a chance they could move to another radio station (presumably one with low ratings) that might be willing to sell some evening airtime pretty cheap. How about 93.7 CJNU which currently carries Goldeyes games?

While we're on the subject, here are ratings from a year ago to illustrate the relative strength of radio stations in Winnipeg. Not all stations are part of it, some of the smaller and/or non-profits don't participate (campus radio stations, NCI, CJNU, etc.).

Interesting to see how AM has basically been left for dead except for CJOB which dominates.

1. 680 CJOB — 15.1 (12.0)
2. CBC Radio One — 14.4 (16.7)
3. QX 104 — 8.0 (9.1)
4. Bounce Radio 99.9 — 7.1 (6.6 as 99.9 BOB FM)
5. 103.1 Virgin Radio — 5.7 (4.9)
6. 92.1 CITI — 5.4 (4.8)
7. Peggy @ 991 — 4.9 (3.9)
8. Power 97 — 4.5 (4.2)
9. CBC Radio 2 — 3.9 (3.8)
10. 94.3 NOW! Radio — 3.8 (3.8 as 94-3 The Drive)
11. Energy 106 — 3.2 (4.4)
12. KiSS 102.3 — 2.7 (3.7)
13. Hot 100.5 — 2.2 (2.5)
14. Funny 1290 — 0.5 (1.9)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 3:29 PM
surely you agree with me

I am of the vintage that there are only three FM stations, 92, 94 and 97.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:17 PM

Q94 for the win! haha I'm also of that same vintage. Except my mom always, and still does, listen to QX104.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:36 PM
surely you agree with me

I had a brief, girlfriend induced country phase many years ago.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 5:43 PM
the first stamp is free

What about 1290 FOX? Back when AM radio still played the latest pop hits!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2023, 11:02 PM

I miss 810 AM from the 90s. For a time I listened to radio evangelist Bob Larson pleading for $1000 champions and $500 heroes to keep his talk show on various local stations across Canada and US. Sometimes, if you were lucky enough to tune in at the right time, he would get someone calling in from Bumrush USA saying they were possessed by a demon and Bob would perform an over-the-phone exorcism complete with bible quotes, demonic voices and inhuman screams.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I am of the vintage that there are only three FM stations, 92, 94 and 97.
Every station used to have big morning shows too.

I couldn't attach anyone to the station they work for now other than Ace/Chrissy with 103 and Wheeler to 106. They move around so much, I know Beau and Joe Aiello/Phil are still around.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 1:29 PM

This is pretty interesting stuff.

Judge awards developer $5M after ruling 2 city planners deliberately stymied development of Parker lands

Officials acted at behest of River Heights Coun. John Orlikow, judge states in decision

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ment-1.6899598

Quote:
Developer Andrew Marquess has won a $5-million judgment against the City of Winnipeg and two planning officials deemed by a judge to have deliberately slowed the progress of Fulton Grove, a 1,900-unit residential development planned for the former Parker lands.

In a decision issued Thursday, King's Bench Justice Shauna McCarthy ruled former chief Winnipeg planner Braden Smith and senior city planner Michael Robinson are "liable for misfeasance in public office" for taking actions that stymied efforts by Marquess to develop 19 hectares in the northwestern corner of Fort Garry.

The city, McClatchy ruled, is "vicariously liable" for the wrongdoing of the two employees. She dismissed claims made against two other officials — planner Martin Grady and John Kiernan, Winnipeg's former director of planning, property and development.
So Orlikow meddled in this development and the planners ended up taking the fall?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 2:44 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is pretty interesting stuff.

Judge awards developer $5M after ruling 2 city planners deliberately stymied development of Parker lands

Officials acted at behest of River Heights Coun. John Orlikow, judge states in decision

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ment-1.6899598

So Orlikow meddled in this development and the planners ended up taking the fall?
Quite the story actually.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 3:23 PM

Are there any sort of likely consequences for Orlikow here? If any of us meddled in a project at work and got the company saddled with a 5 million dollar fine, we would rest assured be out of a job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan