HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dither City View Post
Personally I'm not big fan of big box centers or suburban shopping malls but nonetheless Masonville is renovating old Sear's store. For those still hoping that Nordstrom might come to London it's big noway maybe 10 years down road.

http://london.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=814021
They are spending a big $2.5 million on Masonville. That is such an incredibly low amount of money when you see how much money other malls (hundreds of millions) are investing. It's really too bad that London has so much sprawl. I don't know if it's the malls to blame or who, but we live in a country where almost half the year, you can count on extreme cold or extreme heat - so mall shopping makes so much more sense than doing the big box crawl. If that CrapCentre in Hyde Park wasn't built, then Masonville would maybe have more stores. Most Old Navy stores I've seen in other cities are in malls, but in London, both stores are big box. Sorry for the rant.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
They are spending a big $2.5 million on Masonville. That is such an incredibly low amount of money when you see how much money other malls (hundreds of millions) are investing. It's really too bad that London has so much sprawl. I don't know if it's the malls to blame or who, but we live in a country where almost half the year, you can count on extreme cold or extreme heat - so mall shopping makes so much more sense than doing the big box crawl. If that CrapCentre in Hyde Park wasn't built, then Masonville would maybe have more stores. Most Old Navy stores I've seen in other cities are in malls, but in London, both stores are big box. Sorry for the rant.

I don't think that's accurate. I heard it cost 2.5million to gut the place and start the redevelopment. I'm sure it costs WAY more to build a restaraunt for example and connect the new wing to the mall. So much off the mall is blocked off now the whole wing by the old Sears is closed. There's no possible way this redevelopment was only 2.5 million. Impossible.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 2:54 AM
The Vomit Bag.

-it sure is taking a hell of a long time. When did Sears close? 6 years ago or something?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 7:41 PM
Sanity merchant

London's Masonville Place will get $77 million makeover with Zara, H&M, Hot Topic, Sport Chek and The Disney Store among new additions

After months of reconstruction on the former Sears store, Masonville Place has announced a $77 million makeover, the largest in the mall's history.

Toronto-based Cadillac Fairview, owners of the mall, said that along with the Sears space, other parts of the mall will get a cosmetic upgrades to welcome a roster of new tenants including fashion retailers Zara, H&M, Hot Topic, Sport Chek/Atmosphere and The Disney Store.

Other retailers that have set up shop in the mall recently include Sephora, Ivivva, Lush and Saje.

The mall will also have some new restaurants including The Keg which is moving from Richmond Row, and the Aroma Espresso bar.

The major refit for Masonville is a comeback for the 31-year old mall which suffered a major setback two years ago with the closure of the Sears department store. A year later, a second major anchor, Target Canada announced it was shutting down less than two years after it opened.

Shopping malls, which peaked in popularity in the 1980's have faced intense competition from big box retailers.

The interior renovations throughout the mall include a central court staircase, Italian porcelain tiles and stainless steel and glass guardrails.

The renovation project began last September and is scheduled for completion in November. Mall officials said all current stores will remain open through the construction period.

While the former Target store is still empty, Cadillac Fairview said it will announce redevelopment of the space "in the coming months”

The mall has also launched CF SHOP, a text-message concierge service for shoppers and mobile charging stations for cellphones.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:12 AM

One Question Masonville Place Will Remain Open During Renovation

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:07 AM
Sanity merchant

Much like how White Oaks is getting redone, yes

video here

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/03/29/lo...-new-additions

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I don't think London is big enough for two strong regional malls, what with the endless development of Big Box (incredibly the city is contemplating more stupid centres at Exeter/Wonderland and of course, Wellington South of the 401...plus there are decayed signs announcing another big box barfland at Fanshawe Park Rd. East and Highbury.

When the dust settles, I reckon Masonville will emerge triumphant, and White Oaks, sadly, will go the way of Westmount Mall (even if it does not drop as low as the latter: "watch us transform into a seniors' indoor walking track")

Masonville is overdue for a makeover. It really looks stuck in the 80s.

I was in the GTA over easter weekend, and I visited Sherway Gardens (Which is being completely overhauled). That is a nice mall.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:06 PM

This is very welcome news. Glad to see Masonville finally catching up with other malls in the country with some of these new stores. It boggles my mind why we have so much retail sprawl in our city when with our climate, malls make so much more sense. I would love to see Masonville get a lot bigger and make itself much more of a destination mall for the region.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 4:29 PM

I see London Mall will be losing Sears Outlet Store.

I think it's time to put that mall out of its misery. If I recall correctly part of the Sears Outlet Mall portion of London Mall is on a designated floodplain very close to Mud Creek. Maybe it's time to demolish the easternmost part of that building and re-purpose what's left as outdoor retail. It's a good location with a large population nearby.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
Much like how White Oaks is getting redone, yes

video here

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/03/29/lo...-new-additions
I think the only reason they decided to renovate the mall was because of the flood they had.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
This is very welcome news. Glad to see Masonville finally catching up with other malls in the country with some of these new stores. It boggles my mind why we have so much retail sprawl in our city when with our climate, malls make so much more sense. I would love to see Masonville get a lot bigger and make itself much more of a destination mall for the region.
exactly.. bye bye white oaks

I'm shocked coach hasn't moved to white oaks yet..

I hope we see more mens shops at Masonville.. its mostly for women

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 5:16 AM
Sanity merchant

9/10 times, I prefer White Oaks. The quality of stores is obviously lower, but there's so much more there... not this high end bullshit like the apple store and whatnot (just an example). I'd love a bar in the mall, or pub. Make White Oaks more user friendly (which they seem to be trying to do anyways), by adding more every day stores, and toss those fucking mid-walkway kiosks that peddle crap

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 2:22 PM
User Registered

As part of the project, there's a petition to add back the mini-golf to Masonville

https://www.change.org/p/cf-masonvil...edium=copylink

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 6:07 AM

I tend to agree that London will eventually have just 2 major malls.......White Oaks and Masonville. Masonville caters to a far higher income base while White Oaks is very working class. The thing that White Oaks has in it's favour which will keep it going is that it is beside the 401/402 which makes it very convenient for out of towners.

For anyone coming in on the 401 from Oxford, Elgin, or Chatham-Kent, Masonville is simply too far to get to. If people can't find what they want or want more upscale or unique shopping they will go up to The Core but few will venture beyond that just as no one coming in from Huron or Perth will venture south of The Core.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 1:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The Core is not what it was. Really not a shopping destination at all, except for eclectic things like used books. Good place for restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 6:53 PM

I think that is slowly (very slowly) changing. There are some decent high-end shops now for things like bikes, audio equipment, miscellaneous nick nacks ("Uber" store), record stores, and bridal gowns. Certainly it's not a one-stop shopping district, but hopefully it passes its tipping point soon.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The Core is not what it was. Really not a shopping destination at all, except for eclectic things like used books. Good place for restaurants.
That's exactly my point. There is little you can't get down near the White Oaks are that you can get at Masonville except perhaps high end shopping but if high end shopping is what you are looking for then Richmond Row is your destination of choice.

If you are looking for something a bit more eclectic or unique then you won't find that at Masonville either. For those things you have to go downtown, RR, Wortley Village or increasingly Old East. Masonville is a nice mall but it's still just a mall. If you are coming in from the 401/402, if you can't get it at White Oaks because it's a bit too obscure or high end then you don't need to drive any further north that Oxford & Richmond.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

for old time's sake. World's worst Christmas tree (guess location):
https://flic.kr/p/47iY3F

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 8:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

The slow dying death of White Oaks....should enter a new phase, now that yet more big box barf is heading for Wonderbread Road South:
http://yorkdev.ca/listings/wonderland-wharncliffe/

Will White Oaks wither like Wastemount Mall did back in 2005-07?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 1:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Three times the space as a Mall, and one third the amenities!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation