HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:10 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Nice pics Plinko! What's the bright stuff on the left side, the State Fair?
Yep. Then the dark spot to the right of that is the Fairview Place historic neighborhood, then there's another bright blob which is the Encanto Park fields and playground area.The huge darkness above that is the Encanto Park golf courses.

I met with the City Economic Development Department on Friday re: Central Station.I was curious to find out if they're shooting for something more akin to Tempe's Transit Center, or something more like a private development tower, that also allows buses to move around it, its the latter, so hooray!

We talked about how down the line, if commuter and inter city rail ever happen, the City will have to re-acquire Union Station and consolidate bus and rail service down there. They repeatedly talked about going "as tall as the FAA will allow us" there in their dream scenario, of course that will require someone to fill a lot of office space. We also discussed how its a pretty large parcel and 2 towers might be best on that lot, which they agreed, but we'll have to see whats proposed by developers.

But...at least the City is thinking and dreaming the right sort of stuff.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:00 PM

That is great news Hoover! Nice research and info.

As you said, now we need someone to propose and build it. great that it is a goal and not just a desire for just anything.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 6:27 AM
this could have been...

Welcome downtownslcresident! I hope by now you are a downtownphxresident! ; )

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 6:28 AM
this could have been...

Great job on going to the source Hoover! Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 11:27 PM

The Vig expands with new downtown Phoenix restaurant

The group behind the Vig has brought its neighborhood hangout to Fillmore Street in downtown Phoenix.

The Vig Fillmore operates out of an historic home on the northwest corner of 4th Avenue and Fillmore Street at 606 N. Fourth Ave. Phoenix-based Genuine Concepts renovated the house, which was built in 1914 by a prominent Phoenix family in the cattle business. The space includes a dining area of approximately 2,000 square feet under roof with an outdoor patio that includes the Vig’s signature bocce ball court as well as a fireplace.

Bringing the Vig downtown was an idea that percolated for more than a year in the minds of Tucker Woodbury, who opened concert venue the Crescent Ballroom downtown two years ago. On his way to and from the Crescent, he’d pass the house at Fourth and Fillmore.

“I kept thinking, ‘This would be a really great spot for a restaurant,’” he said. “We started talking about it and fell in love with the building.”

Believing that the downtown area lacked an offering such as the Vig, Woodbury and his partners decided to pull the trigger. The restaurant has been open since early September and has slowly been picking up business from the surrounding neighborhood.

“People have been waiting for a long time,” Woodbury said.

Woodbury’s restaurant group, Genuine Concepts, spent approximately $1.7 million on the project, he said, adding much of the high price tag was because of some issues they ran into renovating the nearly 100-year-old home, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.

“It’s always interesting when you get into adaptive reuse projects like this one,” Woodbury said. “There’s always things that are unforeseen. We had some surprises that added a considerable amount to the build-out cost. But we believe the final product is worth it.”

The Vig Fillmore employs about 40 people and offers lunch and dinner during the week and brunch and dinner on the weekends.

Genuine Concepts also operates the Little Woody and the Western bars in Phoenix and Scottsdale, respectively. Two Vig locations are in Arcadia on 40th Street and uptown on 16th Street. A fourth Vig is planned for north Scottsdale.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b....html?page=all

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 2:24 PM

I went to the Hance Dog Park last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. It had a street presence from both 3rd and 5th Avenues and was very attractively landscaped. It had stone walls around most of it, had nice larger freshly planted trees, and nice water fountains for people and dogs. Most important though, it was packed.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Good news - Seems as though Panera Bread is going in the strip center on the SEC of Thomas and Central. Too bad I don't eat carbs.

Application #:
ZA-330-13-4 (Sign)
Existing Zoning:
C-2 HRI TOD-1
Quarter Section:
14-28(G8)
Proposal:
Variance to increase the maximum letter/logo height to 22 inches on the north and west elevations. Maximum letter height is 12 inches.
Ordinance Sections:
662.K.1.b.
Applicant:
Brian Schrock, Panera Bread
Representative:
Sheila Glover, Naturalite Neon
Owner:
GM Central, LLC c/o Lawrence and Geyser Development

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 8:08 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Good news - Seems as though Panera Bread is going in the strip center on the SEC of Thomas and Central. Too bad I don't eat carbs.

Application #:
ZA-330-13-4 (Sign)
Existing Zoning:
C-2 HRI TOD-1
Quarter Section:
14-28(G8)
Proposal:
Variance to increase the maximum letter/logo height to 22 inches on the north and west elevations. Maximum letter height is 12 inches.
Ordinance Sections:
662.K.1.b.
Applicant:
Brian Schrock, Panera Bread
Representative:
Sheila Glover, Naturalite Neon
Owner:
GM Central, LLC c/o Lawrence and Geyser Development
Panera doesn't have any Phoenix locations but owns Paradise Bakery. I wonder which it will actually be.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Panera doesn't have any Phoenix locations but owns Paradise Bakery.

There is a Panera Bread on Tatum Blvd. in Phoenix.

I wonder which it will actually be.

The public notice says Panera Bread.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 1:23 AM

Will be interesting to see. A friend of mine who works in the Collier Center recently told me that Paradise is closing that location and moving to Central and Thomas

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXflyer View Post
Will be interesting to see. A friend of mine who works in the Collier Center recently told me that Paradise is closing that location and moving to Central and Thomas
I wonder why they would do that. I've been to the Paradise at Collier alot and it always seems pretty busy. I don't think that having a Panera at Thomas and Central and the Paradise at Collier would be redundant as the majority of downtown workers tend to stay downtown for lunch and the majority of midtown workers tend to stay in midtown.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 11:59 PM

Old-school cool: More Phoenix businesses becoming interested in adaptive-reuse projec

Quote:
Midtown Phoenix is seeing a rebirth, and it’s coming mostly from adaptive reuse.

Other developers and business owners have taken notice of Upward Projects LLC’s infill success along the Central Corridor. In the past year, similar projects have found footing.

The Newton, a mixed-use project at the old Beef Eaters site, is in the works. Also, Sam Fox’s collaborative adaptive-reuse project, the Yard, opened this year at Seventh Street and Montebello Avenue.

“There’s a renewed interest — at least in Phoenix — in that kind of quality of life, and living close to where you live and work and eat,” ...
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/p...e-phoenix.html

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Panera doesn't have any Phoenix locations but owns Paradise Bakery.

There is a Panera Bread on Tatum Blvd. in Phoenix.

I wonder which it will actually be.

The public notice says Panera Bread.

Did you know Starbucks just open in a few weeks ago. There is one on Bell Rd/Tatum. It is on Southwest corner right next to Shopping Center.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Panera doesn't have any Phoenix locations but owns Paradise Bakery. I wonder which it will actually be.
Actually, there is one at Desert Ridge Marketplace near AMC Theatres.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 11:04 PM
METRO: Encanto

Sorry about missing the apparent Panera locations. Their website does not show them, only ones in Tucson.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 11:12 PM

You know things are slow when there is an almost page-long discussion about a possible Panera Bread. Panera isn't that great. It's just another overpriced fast casual place like Paradise Bakery.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 1:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Sorry about missing the apparent Panera locations. Their website does not show them, only ones in Tucson.
Drive by so you can confirm it in person so you can really believe it.

http://www.switchboard.com/store-loc...x/Panera-Bread

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 1:59 AM

Why did that vice lord guy get banned? We should ban anyone who mentions the opening of a subway or paradise bakery on here! Unless its there corporate headquarters!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 4:21 PM

Does anyone know what's planned for 2330 N. 7th St. (Across from Humble Pie in the empty lot). There was a zoning hearing on Oct. 3rd to allow outdoor dining and a drive through queuing lane within 300 ft of a residential zone

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 4:34 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=Sepstein;6317790]Why did that vice lord guy get banned? We should ban anyone who mentions the opening of a subway or paradise bakery on here! Unless its there corporate headquarters![/QUOTE

Heh, heh. Yeah, that's hilarious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest