HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 4:13 PM

Argonauts open doors to tailgating, with a Toronto twist
Because of existing liquor laws, an Argos official says the team will be selling the liquor but promises to make them affordable.
Sean Fitz-Gerald Sports Reporter thestar.com May 28, 2016

In Toronto, a city where alcohol and professional sports have endured a glacial courtship, where Major League Baseball once housed its only dry stadium — not one dry section; an entirely alcohol-free park — one team is introducing a beer-tinged tradition in the hope of sparking renewed interest while also attracting younger fans.

The Argonauts want to tailgate.

For the first time, the team is planning a real pre-game tailgate, where fans are allowed to park their cars, pull out their barbecues and grill their own food. Beer, a key ingredient in the process, will be permitted as the team opens its debut season at BMO Field.

There is one catch.

“Our liquor laws prevent people from bringing their own beer,” said Michael Copeland, the team’s president and chief executive. “But other than that, it will be true in all other respects.”

The team will sell the beer. Copeland said the Argos are still finalizing the prices, as well as the brands that will be available for purchase, but stressed the idea the team is trying to create an “accessible experience” for fans and that “overpricing for beer just shoots us in the foot.”

“When people experience it, they’re not going to think, ‘Oh, I wish I could have brought my semi-warm case of beer in with me,’ ” he said. “We’re going to price it affordably, because again it has to be an authentic experience.”

Special zones will be reserved for tailgating within the lots at Exhibition Place, as well as Ontario Place. Copeland said the team has not finalized the parking rates, but suggested a modest premium would be levied on the designated tailgating zones.

He said there would be a minimum of 250 tailgating spaces for each regular season home game, but felt that number could swell to 1,000 depending on demand and availability at both venues. (Duran Duran is scheduled to play the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre on July 13, the night Toronto hosts Ottawa, creating a crunch on available parking spaces.)

Copeland said access to the tailgating section will likely be made available through a presale process. The team is planning a trial run at its pre-season game against Hamilton on June 11, building to the main launch 12 days later, at its regular season home-opener.

“We’ve got a very, very strong core fan base, but it does skew older,” Copeland said. “And we need to bring in new fans, probably more urgently than most sports teams.”

The Argos have been working with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, the government organization that administers the Liquor Licence Act. Copeland has also had talks with Toronto Mayor John Tory, as well as Exhibition Place, Mothers Against Drunk Driving and others with a stake in the process.

Beer sales will end 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Cars entering the special tailgate area will be searched for contraband alcohol. It will be open to all ages, with Copeland envisioning children throwing a football around with parents.

“It’s starting to take shape as an opportunity to do something that might get more people out to watch CFL football, which is their goal, and do it in a respectful way that’s not going to put others at risk,” said Andrew Murie, chief executive of MADD Canada. “The worst possible scenario is someone gets hurt and that’s one of the outcomes we don’t want.”

Tory, the former CFL chairman, said the team has his “full support” to run a tailgate.

“I wanted to make it work both because I thought it was a sane way for responsible adults to entertain themselves, but also because I wanted to try and help the rebirth of the Argos,” he said. “I have the CFL in my blood both from being a fan as a boy, but also of being the chairman and the commissioner in days when it was pretty dark.”

Having struggled for years to build a fan base at Rogers Centre, the team needs to spark new interest in its new home. Earlier this month, the Argos dispatched players to a bar in nearby Liberty Village — an enclave of young professionals — behind the rallying cry of, “Who wants sangria?”

Tailgating has been a staple of football for generations in the United States, both at the collegiate and professional levels. Several versions have been attempted around Toronto, but usually revolving around a pedestrian area featuring expensive beer.

Part of that is tied to Ontario’s liquor laws, which have deep historical roots.

“There was a large population who felt that a lot of things were immoral,” said Dr. Ron Stagg, a professor in the department of history at Ryerson University. “And they were particularly immoral on Sundays, because Sunday was supposed to be reserved only for worshipping.”

In Ontario, until the late 1950s, Stagg said the government tied the purchase of alcohol to a kind of passport. One side would list the customer’s personal information, and the other would list their purchases.

“If you bought too much,” Stagg said, “they would ban you.”

In 1977, as the Blue Jays were preparing to make their big league debut, the Ontario government announced it would not allow beer to be sold at Exhibition Stadium. Fans were unhappy — sometimes chanting “We want beer” in the stands — but the protest never quite evolved into outrage.

“To be honest with you, they didn’t know any better,” said Howard Starkman, a long-time Blue Jays employee now working as a consultant with the team. “Most of the people who came to our games just really didn’t realize they were missing anything, other than people saying you were supposed to have a beer and a hotdog at a baseball game.”

Beer finally broke through in 1982.

The tailgate has taken a bit longer.

“Why it wasn’t done before? I can’t answer that question,” Copeland said. “I think, perhaps, people just didn’t pursue it to the extent that they may have been able to.”

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 5:28 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Can you describe it for the benefit of those of us who are not riderfans.com members?
Yes, it seems to have detected that I was born in Manitoba and won't let me see.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 4:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Argonauts open doors to tailgating, with a Toronto twist
Because of existing liquor laws, an Argos official says the team will be selling the liquor but promises to make them affordable.
Sean Fitz-Gerald Sports Reporter thestar.com May 28, 2016

In Toronto, a city where alcohol and professional sports have endured a glacial courtship, where Major League Baseball once housed its only dry stadium — not one dry section; an entirely alcohol-free park — one team is introducing a beer-tinged tradition in the hope of sparking renewed interest while also attracting younger fans.

The Argonauts want to tailgate.

For the first time, the team is planning a real pre-game tailgate, where fans are allowed to park their cars, pull out their barbecues and grill their own food. Beer, a key ingredient in the process, will be permitted as the team opens its debut season at BMO Field.

There is one catch.

“Our liquor laws prevent people from bringing their own beer,” said Michael Copeland, the team’s president and chief executive. “But other than that, it will be true in all other respects.”

The team will sell the beer. Copeland said the Argos are still finalizing the prices, as well as the brands that will be available for purchase, but stressed the idea the team is trying to create an “accessible experience” for fans and that “overpricing for beer just shoots us in the foot.”

“When people experience it, they’re not going to think, ‘Oh, I wish I could have brought my semi-warm case of beer in with me,’ ” he said. “We’re going to price it affordably, because again it has to be an authentic experience.”

Special zones will be reserved for tailgating within the lots at Exhibition Place, as well as Ontario Place. Copeland said the team has not finalized the parking rates, but suggested a modest premium would be levied on the designated tailgating zones.

He said there would be a minimum of 250 tailgating spaces for each regular season home game, but felt that number could swell to 1,000 depending on demand and availability at both venues. (Duran Duran is scheduled to play the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre on July 13, the night Toronto hosts Ottawa, creating a crunch on available parking spaces.)

Copeland said access to the tailgating section will likely be made available through a presale process. The team is planning a trial run at its pre-season game against Hamilton on June 11, building to the main launch 12 days later, at its regular season home-opener.

“We’ve got a very, very strong core fan base, but it does skew older,” Copeland said. “And we need to bring in new fans, probably more urgently than most sports teams.”

The Argos have been working with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, the government organization that administers the Liquor Licence Act. Copeland has also had talks with Toronto Mayor John Tory, as well as Exhibition Place, Mothers Against Drunk Driving and others with a stake in the process.

Beer sales will end 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Cars entering the special tailgate area will be searched for contraband alcohol. It will be open to all ages, with Copeland envisioning children throwing a football around with parents.

“It’s starting to take shape as an opportunity to do something that might get more people out to watch CFL football, which is their goal, and do it in a respectful way that’s not going to put others at risk,” said Andrew Murie, chief executive of MADD Canada. “The worst possible scenario is someone gets hurt and that’s one of the outcomes we don’t want.”

Tory, the former CFL chairman, said the team has his “full support” to run a tailgate.

“I wanted to make it work both because I thought it was a sane way for responsible adults to entertain themselves, but also because I wanted to try and help the rebirth of the Argos,” he said. “I have the CFL in my blood both from being a fan as a boy, but also of being the chairman and the commissioner in days when it was pretty dark.”

Having struggled for years to build a fan base at Rogers Centre, the team needs to spark new interest in its new home. Earlier this month, the Argos dispatched players to a bar in nearby Liberty Village — an enclave of young professionals — behind the rallying cry of, “Who wants sangria?”

Tailgating has been a staple of football for generations in the United States, both at the collegiate and professional levels. Several versions have been attempted around Toronto, but usually revolving around a pedestrian area featuring expensive beer.

Part of that is tied to Ontario’s liquor laws, which have deep historical roots.

“There was a large population who felt that a lot of things were immoral,” said Dr. Ron Stagg, a professor in the department of history at Ryerson University. “And they were particularly immoral on Sundays, because Sunday was supposed to be reserved only for worshipping.”

In Ontario, until the late 1950s, Stagg said the government tied the purchase of alcohol to a kind of passport. One side would list the customer’s personal information, and the other would list their purchases.

“If you bought too much,” Stagg said, “they would ban you.”

In 1977, as the Blue Jays were preparing to make their big league debut, the Ontario government announced it would not allow beer to be sold at Exhibition Stadium. Fans were unhappy — sometimes chanting “We want beer” in the stands — but the protest never quite evolved into outrage.

“To be honest with you, they didn’t know any better,” said Howard Starkman, a long-time Blue Jays employee now working as a consultant with the team. “Most of the people who came to our games just really didn’t realize they were missing anything, other than people saying you were supposed to have a beer and a hotdog at a baseball game.”

Beer finally broke through in 1982.

The tailgate has taken a bit longer.

“Why it wasn’t done before? I can’t answer that question,” Copeland said. “I think, perhaps, people just didn’t pursue it to the extent that they may have been able to.”
Couldn't the laws be changed? Or an exemption be granted? The way this topic is discussed it's as if the current liquor laws in Ontario were brought down from a mountain on stone tablets by some guy with a long beard.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Couldn't the laws be changed? Or an exemption be granted? The way this topic is discussed it's as if the current liquor laws in Ontario were brought down from a mountain on stone tablets by some guy with a long beard.
It's nuts that we're getting to a point where you'll soon be able to buy and consume marijuana openly anywhere in the country, yet drinking a can of beer you brought from home in a parking lot is still strictly forbidden.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 4:57 PM

In other news, the Saskatchewan Rush have a shot at clinching the MLL title this weekend vs. the Buffalo Bandits.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:29 PM

NLL

MLL is the outdoor lacrosse league

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:31 PM

^ Whoops, thanks for pointing that out.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 3:38 PM

Argos tailgate information

Quote:
We are thrilled to announce to you that we are bringing tailgating to every home game at BMO Field this year.
We are making the announcement official later today at a media event, but wanted you to hear it from us first.

*Starting this FRIDAY, JUNE 3 at 10:00am we are pleased to offer our valued season seat holders an exclusive opportunity to purchase parking spots in the tailgate area. Further details on how to purchase parking spots in the tailgate area will be shared via email shortly.
The parking spots will be sold in full regular season passes at Ontario Place and a half-season passes at Exhibition Place. The pre-season game will be sold separately.
Parking spots will be sold with a $5 premium on normal event parking rates for a total of $30 at Ontario Place and $35 Exhibition Place.
Argos Tailgate 101
Minimum of 250 parking spots in a licensed area at Ontario Place Lot #1 for every game
Hundreds of additional parking spots may become available at Ontario Place and Exhibition Place for certain games (depending on other events on site)
Beer will be sold in the licensed area for $4.00 each
Other beverages, like coolers, will also be made available
Fans are not permitted to bring their own alcohol due to provincial liquor regulations
Propane and charcoal BBQs will be permitted. Propane tanks can be no larger than 20 lbs
The designated tailgating parking lots will open at least three hours prior to kickoff
Parking spots will be sold with a $5.00 premium on normal event parking rates - $30 at Ontario Place and $35 Exhibition Place and will need to be purchased in advance as part of a season pass (at Ontario Place) or half-season pass (at Exhibition Place)
Season seat holders will have the first opportunity to purchase tailgating parking spots
A limited number of parking spots will be reserved for sale to the general public during the week leading up to the game
As additional parking spots become available for certain games, season seat holders will have the first opportunity to purchase spots
We will be making a limited number of tailgating parking spots available for the pre-season game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Saturday, June 11. Parking spots for this game will be sold individually and will also be offered exclusive to you, our season seat holders, on Friday, June 3 at 10am.
Exhibition Place Schedule (Half-Season Tailgate Parking Pass)
Thursday, June 23 ***** Hamilton Tiger-Cats (Home Opener)
Monday, July 25********* Montreal Alouettes
Sunday, Sept 11********* Hamilton Tiger-Cats (Labour Day Rematch)
Monday, Oct 10********* Calgary Stampeders (Thanksgiving Monday)
Saturday, Oct 15******** Saskatchewan Roughriderss
For every game this year, we will have a tailgate area at Ontario Place with a minimum of 250 parking spots. This has the potential to expand by hundreds of additional parking spots at Ontario Place, and across the street at Exhibition Place, for certain games depending on what other events are happening on the grounds.
In this licensed tailgate area, fans will be able to park their cars, bring their own charcoal and propane BBQs and prepare their own food, purchase ice cold beer for $4 each, play games and socialize with other season seat holders and fans.
Beyond that the experience, atmosphere and traditions are left entirely up to you to create.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:18 PM

That all looks pretty reasonable to me but I'm not a tail gater. The part about opening three hours before the game didn't sound like a lot if they want to make it an all day affair. But maybe they don't want people to get totally wasted for longer than that and then go into the stadium.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:21 PM

^ I'm not sure how well the tailgating thing will work out considering that so many games are played on weekdays... it's not like football in the US where Saturdays and Sundays are kind of the go-to days.

There is a small tailgating subculture in Winnipeg but I think its size is inhibited by the fact that most fans dash over to the game after work, just in time for kickoff.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:17 PM

An amazing time in Chicago for Cubs games as the best team in the leagues swept Philly at Wrigley Field this last Memorial day weekend!
Great weather the entire time although i'm not sure what yesterdays Dodgers game at Wrigley would have been like since it was heavy rain for late afternoon/early evening with short flight delays out of Midway when I left..

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
An amazing time in Chicago for Cubs games as the best team in the leagues swept Philly at Wrigley Field this last Memorial day weekend!
Great weather the entire time although i'm not sure what yesterdays Dodgers game at Wrigley would have been like since it was heavy rain for late afternoon/early evening with short flight delays out of Midway when I left..
Interesting take on Sports in Canadian Culture

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
laughing out loud

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:49 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
It's pretty much in line with how Canadian media reports on it.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Interesting take on Sports in a Canadian's Culture
^ here, let me fix that for you

if you want to see quality pro sports teams you have to go Stateside..
i.e. NHL playoffs 2016

only exceptions being CFL and NLL

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:17 PM

Michael Copeland Argos CEO on TSN Overdrive

The Argos are in good hands, this guy "gets it" Explains what the tail gate experience will be at BMO.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:50 AM
Go Chiefs!

Although Eugenie Bouchard and Milos Raonic were eliminated early in Roland Garros, our juniors boys are doing something historic!!! Benjamin Sigouin, Denis Shapovalov and Felix Auger-Aliassime are ALL going to the QF. That's right, 3 of the 8 remaining players in the boys draw are Canadian.

At the pro level, Sigouin is still unranked but he's only 16 so that's normal.
Shapovalov is the best ranked player but also the "oldest" (17 years old). His ranking is #400 (career best #393 a few weeks ago).
Then there is Auger-Aliassime which I still believe is going to be the first Canadian to win a Grand Slam. Only 15 years old and already climbed to #619 (also a career high).

We are going to be seeing more of these kids in the pro circuit in the future. They are already playing Futures regularly and some Challengers.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 2:38 PM
arf

Denis Shapovalov and Felix Auger-Aliassime both won and are in the semi-finals now. Benjamin Sigouin lost. Absolutely amazing to even see a couple of juniors in the grand slam tournament at all. So many years with nothing to cheer for. I feel spoiled with the tennis in Canada these days.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In other news, the Saskatchewan Rush have a shot at clinching the MLL title this weekend vs. the Buffalo Bandits.
Tomorrow (Saturday 7pm CentralStandardTime) on TSN2, Rogers Channel 98 or Shaw Channel 182 to watch 15,000 rabid Saskatchewan Rush fans @ Saskatoon's SaskTel Centre see Rush win their second NLL Championship two years in a row..

http://www.saskrush.com

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 6:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Tomorrow (Saturday 7pm CentralStandardTime) on TSN2, Rogers Channel 98 or Shaw Channel 182 to watch 15,000 rabid Saskatchewan Rush fans @ Saskatoon's SaskTel Centre see Rush win their second NLL Championship two years in a row..
That's a pretty big arena. Along with the Colisée, Copps in Hamilton, it's likely one of the biggest non-NHL arenas in the country. I can't think of many others in the 15k range.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada