HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's a pretty big arena. Along with the Colisée, Copps in Hamilton, it's likely one of the biggest non-NHL arenas in the country. I can't think of many others in the 15k range.
Like Copps, it's a 1980s arena built for a NHL team that never came. It's a nice joint... it reminds me a lot of the original configuration of Rexall Place.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that the biggest non-NHL rinks in the country are:

Videotron
Copps
Saskplace
Colisee (has it been decommissioned yet?)
Pacific Coliseum
Budweiser Gardens
Halifax Metro Centre
Ottawa Civic Centre

...then it drops off after that.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Like Copps, it's a 1980s arena built for a NHL team that never came. It's a nice joint... it reminds me a lot of the original configuration of Rexall Place.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that the biggest non-NHL rinks in the country are:

Videotron
Copps
Saskplace
Pacific Coliseum
Budweiser Gardens
Halifax Metro Centre
Ottawa Civic Centre

Oh yes, I forgot Vidéotron... putting the cart before the horse I guess!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

And I thought Pacific Coliseum had been demolished. Guess I am confusing it with Empire Stadium.

What about the Calgary Corral?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
And I thought Pacific Coliseum had been demolished. Guess I am confusing it with Empire Stadium.

What about the Calgary Corral?
Pacific Coliseum is still around, it was until this past season the home of the WHL Giants. I'm not sure what's in store now that the Giants are moving to a different venue this fall.

The Corral is small (around 6,500 seats) and old, definitely not NHL calibre even though it hosted the Flames for a couple of years. It's pretty lame even by modern major junior standards these days.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:

Videotron
Copps
Saskplace
Pacific Coliseum
Budweiser Gardens
Halifax Metro Centre
Ottawa Civic Centre

Videotron (18,259/2015) Quebec City
FirstOntario (17,383/1985) Hamilton
Pacific Coliseum (16,281/1967) Vancouver
Sasktel (15,195/1988) Saskatoon
Colisee (15,127/1950) Quebec City
Scotiabank Halifax (10,595/1978) Halifax
TD Place Ottawa (9,862/1967) Ottawa
Budweiser Gardens (9,100/2002) London
Ricoh Coliseum (7,851/1921) Toronto
Thunderbird (7,500/2008) Vancouver
Kitchener Auditorium (7,268/1950) Kitchener
Save-On-Foods (7,006/2005) Victoria
Abbotsford (7,000/2009) Abbotsford

Moncton is building a new 9,000 barn to open in a few years time.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:25 PM

^ Nice list!

For many years Copps and Saskplace were the only two legitimate NHL calibre arenas that had never hosted the NHL (MTS Centre was on the list too from 2004-2011).

Videotron now joins that list, which, with 3 venues on it, really isn't a very long one considering how popular hockey is in this country.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:29 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
For many years Copps and Saskplace were the only two legitimate NHL calibre arenas that had never hosted the NHL (MTS Centre was on the list too from 2004-2011).

Videotron now joins that list, which, with 3 venues on it, really isn't a very long one considering how popular hockey is in this country.
Size and suitablity of arena isn't the only determining factor in landing NHL franchises. If you had a hockey system similar to that of, say, European leagues with football with promotion/relegation I think you would see more private money invested into higher quality and larger arenas throughout the country. Places like London, Halifax, and Victoria would almost certainly have larger arenas, as well as the bigger cities having more arenas which were both larger and of higher quality. Because franchise-based sports leagues are an exclusive club it allows few in and blocks everyone else out from ownership and taking part. That's why a lot of these cities have undersized and, frankly, underutilized arenas for the amount of hockey fandom in their area.

FirstOntario is nowhere near eligible to play host to an NHL team without substantial upgrades. Colisee will be decommissioned and should be removed from that list soon. I haven't been in Sasktel so I can't say what that shape that arena is in but Saskatchewan likely won't be playing host to an NHL franchise in my lifetime without substantial alteration to how the league functions.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 7:45 PM

^ I'd agree in that it makes more sense to build a NHL rink once a franchise is secured... that's why NHL calibre venues are seldom built without a franchise to go with it. With the benefit of hindsight, it's clear that Hamilton and Saskatoon certainly did not need the large-scaled arenas that they built in the 1980s.

Also, when I refer to them as NHL-calibre, I mean at the time they were built. Hamilton and Saskatoon have classic 1980s NHL rinks, but obviously it would cost a fortune to bring them up to modern NHL specs.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:50 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty big arena. Along with the Colisée, Copps in Hamilton, it's likely one of the biggest non-NHL arenas in the country. I can't think of many others in the 15k range.
Currently there's a third party analysis commissioned to conduct look at SaskTel Centre's future & whether plans to build a new downtown arena should be looked at. Once study is complete a decision on a new arena will be made.

Right now, already larger than some NHL arenas, SaskTel Centre has space for an additional 1,000 seats to be added, which would make it indeed one of the largest arenas in the country without an NHL team.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ate-resurfaces

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:57 PM

^ Why on earth would Saskatoon build a new arena when the existing one is still perfectly fine for its needs? If anything, Saskplace is overbuilt for its tenants. Besides, it would cost an absolute fortune to build a venue that would actually constitute an upgrade from what exists presently.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Couldn't the laws be changed? Or an exemption be granted? The way this topic is discussed it's as if the current liquor laws in Ontario were brought down from a mountain on stone tablets by some guy with a long beard.
Ontario liquor laws are hilariously juvenile when you look at them from a global perspective. My English relatives were absolutely floored you couldn't bring wine/beer to a picnic.

Living in the UK gave me a real appreciation for the drinking culture they have developed. In fact I would argue the vast extra freedoms actually contribute to a less toxic approach to alcohol. People imbibe so casually that there seemed to me to be much much less of a need to get absolutely blasted every time you go out. Most people have a few beers and are in bed by 11:00 (not everyone of course, but seemed to be the general thing to do).

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It's pretty much in line with how Canadian media reports on it.
too true.

Typical episode of Sportscenter:

first 20 minutes --> "Which American team will win Canada's hockey trophy???!"
next 20 minutes --> NBA highlights of Lebron James
next 10 minutes --> MLB highlights of primarily American teams
next 5 minutes --> highlight a Canadian athlete, but ONLY if he is playing on an American team/American league/a sport relevant to Americans
last 5 minutes --> HOTN: usually an american fan dropping his bag of popcorn or something

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 6:25 PM
Go Chiefs!

Felix Auger-Aliassime is going to the French Open junior final!

Shapovalov lost a hard fought game.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFromOttawa View Post
too true.

Typical episode of Sportscenter:

first 20 minutes --> "Which American team will win Canada's hockey trophy???!"
next 20 minutes --> NBA highlights of Lebron James
next 10 minutes --> MLB highlights of primarily American teams
next 5 minutes --> highlight a Canadian athlete, but ONLY if he is playing on an American team/American league/a sport relevant to Americans
last 5 minutes --> HOTN: usually an american fan dropping his bag of popcorn or something
Oh god. The constant pandering to Americans by TSN gets on my nerves. The other day on the ESPN show Pardon the Interruption, the two hosts were interviewing a basketball reporter who was in Toronto to cover the Raptors vs. Cavaliers. The reporter mentioned how he couldn't find the western conference game on his hotel TV which didn't make any sense because they were all on TSN or Sportsnet. And then he mentions how the P.T.I hosts should come to Canada because they would be anonymous, or something along those lines.

Well this got every Sportscentre anchor in a tizzy and they all tweeted at the reporter that they in fact do have P.T.I on TSN. I wish the reporter was right and that TSN didn't show P.T.I. I mean how cheap does TSN have to be to syndicate a show for another country which features two guys arguing about sports based in another country. How hard would it be to have two TSN guys do a Canadian version with Canadian topics?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 10:00 PM

Those are some fantastic crowds in Saskatoon. They have really embraced the NLL there. I guess it makes sense as the GMA there is over 300,000 and they haven't had a pro team up until now. If a pro level national soccer league is to get off the ground in Canada, Saskatoon would be a good market to invest in. I think they can handle 4 teams - Blades, Hilltops, Rush and soccer team - considering none of those require a high ticket price to make it a successful venture.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
^ Why on earth would Saskatoon build a new arena when the existing one is still perfectly fine for its needs? If anything, Saskplace is overbuilt for its tenants. Besides, it would cost an absolute fortune to build a venue that would actually constitute an upgrade from what exists presently.
This question is my time to shine! Prepare for a very long response.

There's a few issues behind the drive to build a new arena. Likely the biggest one is location. SaskPlace is on the outskirts of the city and that's been a controversial location since before it was built. The infrastructure to access it easily simply is not there and it results in traffic jams getting to and from the arena, and with the poor state of public transit in Saskatoon there's no other way to get there other than to sit in the car and endure it. There's also nothing to do out there. It was built out there with the hopes that an arena district would pop up but there is a total of zero bars in the immediate vicinity. It was the edge of town in the 80s... and it's still the edge of town thirty years later. Part of that, I'd argue, is the fact that Saskatoon has never had a team capable of filling the arena even halfway consistently; the Rush are the only team to ever do it, so why would anyone build out there if there's no fans to draw in?

Another issue is that SaskPlace actually was not built to attract an NHL team as previously stated, but expanded over time from seating 9,000 to its current 15,000 (the plans to build a new arena originated with attracting the NHL, but once the Blues relocation fell through plans changed). The problem with this is that the concources are tiny and cannot handle sold out crowds. There's not enough concessions, bathrooms, or space to walk around; if you try to get a beer during intermission, you'll miss a large chunk of the game not even moving. You can't even get 9,000 people moving around easily in the arena now because they took space from the concources to build the luxury boxes. Genuinely, it's unsafe. In the off chance the building had to be evacuated, you likely couldn't do it quickly enough. They have made some upgrades to the arena (they built another concourse for the upper deck, which REALLY makes a difference), but it isn't enough.

Lastly, and this one isn't mentioned as much by the public, but SaskPlace is outdated. The management has pointed out that the arena is being passed over for concerts because it cannot accomodate the needs of newer, large scale acts. For example, the roof can't support anything and needs to be replaced. The soundsystem also needs an overhaul. On top of this, it lacks the revenue-generating features found in other arenas. It was one of the last large arenas built before luxury boxes became a major feature of arenas. Once the Saddledome is replaced, SaskPlace will be the oldest arena of its size in North America if I'm not mistaken.

SaskPlace worked well for the Blades and the occasional concert. The Blades aren't very loved in Saskatoon and draw flies to the game (and honestly, it's sad watching a game in a 15,000 seating arena with 3,000 people). Now that the Rush are in town, it is the first time in history the arena is being filled consistently and so its flaws are made that much more apparent. The idea now is that Saskatoon can finally get it right and build an arena downtown that is accessible by public transit and can funnel thousands of people into the bars. The only issue with this is that our public transit would need a multi-hundred million dollar overhaul for that to be feasible (and even then it likely wouldn't work; public transit is not part of the culture here and there's no parking downtown) and the myth that arenas act as economic drivers has been disproven many a time. I've heard it be argued that we need to keep pace with Edmonton and Winnipeg because they have downtown arenas with their own arena districts, but that's a ridiculous argument.

In my opinion, SaskPlace doesn't need replacement. It fits Saskatoon's needs very well. Instead of spending $500 million or more downtown, they should simply have a major renovation of the current arena. Expand the concources, replace the roof, finally get rid of the light blue plastic seats (my pet peeve), and maybe come up with a plan for that part of the city. We aren't going to get an NHL team and it's time we accept that. A renovated arena will do just fine in attracting concerts so long as it can handle their needs, and I don't buy the Rush as the gamechanging tenant management is building them as. Talk to me about that after a decade of sellouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Those are some fantastic crowds in Saskatoon. They have really embraced the NLL there. I guess it makes sense as the GMA there is over 300,000 and they haven't had a pro team up until now. If a pro level national soccer league is to get off the ground in Canada, Saskatoon would be a good market to invest in. I think they can handle 4 teams - Blades, Hilltops, Rush and soccer team - considering none of those require a high ticket price to make it a successful venture.
I think Saskatoon should be considered a prime location for an AHL team. The Blades are legitimately one of the worst, if not the worst, hockey franchises in Canada. We really don't have much in terms of success out here outside of the Hilltops (and by tonight, the Rush) but I think an AHL team would do very well here in a city that won't let go of the NHL dream.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 11:33 PM
ハルウララ

I don't know what you guys are expecting from TSN. It's a subsidiary of ESPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I think Saskatoon should be considered a prime location for an AHL team. The Blades are legitimately one of the worst, if not the worst, hockey franchises in Canada. We really don't have much in terms of success out here outside of the Hilltops (and by tonight, the Rush) but I think an AHL team would do very well here in a city that won't let go of the NHL dream.
The only way Saskatoon gets an AHL team is if an NHL team finds it feasible to have their AHL affiliate nearby. Winnipeg won't be it. Edmonton likely won't be it. This leaves Calgary, who seem quite content with their current AHLs-setup and haven't shown much interest in Saskatoon at all.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Saskatoon had pro Basketball in the 1990's..
..look up Saskatchewan Storm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Basketball_League

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
This question is my time to shine! Prepare for a very long response.

There's a few issues behind the drive to build a new arena. Likely the biggest one is location. SaskPlace is on the outskirts of the city and that's been a controversial location since before it was built. The infrastructure to access it easily simply is not there and it results in traffic jams getting to and from the arena, and with the poor state of public transit in Saskatoon there's no other way to get there other than to sit in the car and endure it. There's also nothing to do out there. It was built out there with the hopes that an arena district would pop up but there is a total of zero bars in the immediate vicinity. It was the edge of town in the 80s... and it's still the edge of town thirty years later. Part of that, I'd argue, is the fact that Saskatoon has never had a team capable of filling the arena even halfway consistently; the Rush are the only team to ever do it, so why would anyone build out there if there's no fans to draw in?

Another issue is that SaskPlace actually was not built to attract an NHL team as previously stated, but expanded over time from seating 9,000 to its current 15,000 (the plans to build a new arena originated with attracting the NHL, but once the Blues relocation fell through plans changed). The problem with this is that the concources are tiny and cannot handle sold out crowds. There's not enough concessions, bathrooms, or space to walk around; if you try to get a beer during intermission, you'll miss a large chunk of the game not even moving. You can't even get 9,000 people moving around easily in the arena now because they took space from the concources to build the luxury boxes. Genuinely, it's unsafe. In the off chance the building had to be evacuated, you likely couldn't do it quickly enough. They have made some upgrades to the arena (they built another concourse for the upper deck, which REALLY makes a difference), but it isn't enough.

Lastly, and this one isn't mentioned as much by the public, but SaskPlace is outdated. The management has pointed out that the arena is being passed over for concerts because it cannot accomodate the needs of newer, large scale acts. For example, the roof can't support anything and needs to be replaced. The soundsystem also needs an overhaul. On top of this, it lacks the revenue-generating features found in other arenas. It was one of the last large arenas built before luxury boxes became a major feature of arenas. Once the Saddledome is replaced,
SaskPlace will be the oldest arena of its size in North America if I'm not mistaken.

SaskPlace worked well for the Blades and the occasional concert. The Blades aren't very loved in Saskatoon and draw flies to the game (and honestly, it's sad watching a game in a 15,000 seating arena with 3,000 people). Now that the Rush are in town, it is the first time in history the arena is being filled consistently and so its flaws are made that much more apparent. The idea now is that Saskatoon can finally get it right and build an arena downtown that is accessible by public transit and can funnel thousands of people into the bars. The only issue with this is that our public transit would need a multi-hundred million dollar overhaul for that to be feasible (and even then it likely wouldn't work; public transit is not part of the culture here and there's no parking downtown) and the myth that arenas act as economic drivers has been disproven many a time. I've heard it be argued that we need to keep pace with Edmonton and Winnipeg because they have downtown arenas with their own arena districts, but that's a ridiculous argument.

In my opinion, SaskPlace doesn't need replacement. It fits Saskatoon's needs very well. Instead of spending $500 million or more downtown, they should simply have a major renovation of the current arena. Expand the concources, replace the roof, finally get rid of the light blue plastic seats (my pet peeve), and maybe come up with a plan for that part of the city. We aren't going to get an NHL team and it's time we accept that. A renovated arena will do just fine in attracting concerts so long as it can handle their needs, and I don't buy the Rush as the gamechanging tenant management is building them as. Talk to me about that after a decade of sellouts.

There are quite a few arenas in North America of SaskTel Centre's size and age older:
Sleep Train Centre of NBA Sacramento Kings, Cincinnati's US Bank Center, Chicago's AllState arena, just to name a couple/three.. Anaheim Ducks Honda Arena is only a few years younger than SaskTel Centre..

I have never heard of AHL ever spoken on the lips of Saskatchewan people, I only heard of AHL when I was taken to a Moose game in Winnipeg years ago..
The Blades consistently get 5,000 spectators each game over the last couple decades, I don't think people in Saskatoon care about AHL at all.

Congratulations to the Saskatchewan Rush on their NLL pro Lacrosse Championship on home turf in Saskatoon tonight!!!

photo courtesy Josh Schaefer getmyphoto.ca

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by SaskScraper; Jun 8, 2016 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
There are quite a few arenas in North America of SaskTel Centre's size and age older:
Sleep Train Centre of NBA Sacramento Kings, Cincinnati's US Bank Center, Chicago's AllState arena, just to name a couple/three.. Anaheim Ducks Honda Arena is only a few years younger than SaskTel Centre..

I have never heard of AHL ever spoken on the lips of Saskatchewan people, I only heard of AHL when I was taken to a Moose game in Winnipeg years ago..
The Blades consistently get 5,000 spectators each game over the last couple decades, I don't think people in Saskatoon care about AHL at all.
Fair enough, looks like I got my facts wrong. A key difference between SaskPlace and several of those arenas, though, is that there are either plans to replace them (Sleep Train) or they are not the primary arena in the area (AllState). Cincinnati is indeed older however. Honda Center isn't a viable comparison in my opinion as the differences are night and day. Honda's a much more expensive arena with more modern amenities (double the luxury boxes, for instance) whereas SaskPlace is decidedly a creation of the old style arenas like Rexall and Pacific.

I know a few years ago there were talks that the Oilers would place their AHL team in Saskatoon and move the Blades to Edmonton. That's the closest we've gotten, but if people want professional hockey it is the only way we will get it. The Blades haven't drawn more than 5,000 on average in a season since 2013 and never draw that much consistently.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 10:14 PM

Don't forget MSG.

Though it's been renovated multiple times.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada