HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 2:47 AM

WOW!

I have never been to Saskatchewan (or Manitoba) but, my impression was that they were flat and boring. You just blew me away, thanks!!!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest
Not sure I understand your comment...to be fair though, I haven't seen the Athabasca sand dunes in person, so maybe the Spirit Sands are as impressive - I was comparing to the picture, and I don't recall the dunes being that big in Carberry.

Reginaguy - now you gotta post more of Sask's beautiful northern lakes! Hard to find good pics for the northern regions of MB/Sask.
Check out http://www.virtualsk.com. Tons of great stories and pictures of all kinds of things. I especially love the Gem lakes in Narrow Hills Provincial Park:

One of Deer Valley:

Check out the colours in these pictures...

Last edited by BrannyMuffin; Dec 5, 2006 at 9:58 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 6:03 AM

Great pics. Oh man, seeing the main beach at Waskesiu Lake makes it hard for me to wait until May long to get back up there and continue my summer .

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 4:57 PM

wow! I have been one of those people that thought sask was just a flat boring place. Seeing these pics makes me want to go and visit. The Sask government or whoever is responsible for tourism should market Sask more so people know whats really there.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 11:30 PM
Still optimistic

I have never seen such nice pictures of Saskatchewan but I do like the flat aspect of the province...

It's sooooo open and all you can see is sky and the canola feilds!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 11:49 PM

I find driving through Ontario (endless trees, commie block towns) much more boring than Sask. Maybe because I was born and raised on the prairies and I feel more comfortable with huge open skies.

Great pics!

Kris

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 12:00 AM

driving from thunderbay to toronto was horrible from what i remember

i like the praries too

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 12:04 AM
Still optimistic

Try Thunder Bay to Kanora...

Dull and endless.

But I looooooooove the prairies!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:51 AM

There are some awesome places to camp, boat and canoe in SK. I have really enjoyed the areas just NW of Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:28 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Many parts of Saskatchewan are famous for their flatness, but people seem to forget that the Canadian Shield runs through Saskatchewan as well...
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:43 PM

Great pictures. Indeed Saskatchewan really does have a bunch of hidden gems, some of them not far off the beaten path. And some great, AFFORDABLE cottage country too.

Unfortunately many people's opinion of Saskatchewan is framed by a combination of Corner Gas, prairie jokes and the Trans-Canada Highway, which takes in some of the least interesting parts of the province.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:45 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild wild west View Post
Great pictures. Indeed Saskatchewan really does have a bunch of hidden gems, some of them not far off the beaten path. And some great, AFFORDABLE cottage country too.

Unfortunately many people's opinion of Saskatchewan is framed by a combination of Corner Gas, prairie jokes and the Trans-Canada Highway, which takes in some of the least interesting parts of the province.
Except for Regina!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:17 PM
I am a typical

Ontario is flatter... Except the Superior highlands, of course. "picturesque grandeur" and "Gibraltar of the Canadian West" and all that jazz.

BTW -- when driving through the region, to pass time, I count cell towers, telephone poles, and meese. (Or you can go through the US. You'll get to see Chicago! Isn't that better than Thunder Bay?)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Why did you post a bunch of pictures of BC and then say it is Saskatchewan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
This might be better in the Canada section so more people outside of Western Canada can appreciate Saskatchewan. I would figure most people from Manitoba, Alberta, and BC are already somewhat aware of whats in Saskatchewan.
I am from BC and my awareness of Saskatchewan definitely falls into the "somewhat" category, as in almost none. In fact, i couldn't believe many of these pictures were taken there. My only experience there was the south and it looked nothing like most of these pictures.

These are phenomenal pictures.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 1:07 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
driving from thunderbay to toronto was horrible from what i remember

i like the praries too
Yeah, I remember driving from Sault Ste. Marie to Cambridge and it wasn't particularly great, but it's better than Cambridge to Windsor. Talk about flat and boring. There's some rolling hills around KW, but once you get around Chatham and extreme southwestern Ontario, it gets really flat and agricultural.

I've only been in eastern Canada, so my favourite landscapes are the Gatineau hills (north of Ottawa) and parts of Newfoundland (St. John's and the interior).

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 1:16 AM

Great post, many parts of Canada seem to suffer from misinformation based on things like driving down the trans Canada etc. Manitoba is hit with this often as well, but has much to offer that many Canadians don't know about, your a great Sask. ambassador...

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 2:37 AM
Headquarter: Montreal

Sask. has some of the biggest virgin forests left in Canada. I belive you should leave people thinking it is only flat lands so they won't come rip your natural jewels.
Those pics make me wanna come visit it!!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Why did you post a bunch of pictures of BC and then say it is Saskatchewan?

I am from BC and my awareness of Saskatchewan definitely falls into the "somewhat" category, as in almost none. In fact, i couldn't believe many of these pictures were taken there. My only experience there was the south and it looked nothing like most of these pictures.

These are phenomenal pictures.
I posted those pictures a long time ago and I didn't take them so I can't say for sure where all of them are from, but quite a few are in the south...The last 3 were for sure, the one of Deer Valley is, as a matter of fact, it's only a few minutes from Regina.) The top four are different the Gem Lakes which are north of Prince Albert. I urge you to check out www.virtualsk.com (that's where I found the Gem Lakes pictures) they have all kinds of great pictures and neat stories.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 4:17 AM
I am a typical

The problem is that people never leave the highway. The drive through Northern Ontario is boring because the geography is boring, but the geography is only boring because boring geography is easier to build trains and highways on. A lot of the best places to see, geographically speaking, in this country, aren't along highways. Most don't even have roads.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 8:39 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Saskatchewan and Manitoba ain't flat and boring, that's for sure. If I were able to shoot a movie in Saskatchewan using those great places as backdrops, people would be wondering where on Earth was the movie shot.

Also vid, to make you feel better, I went into the back country between Kenora and Dryden a few years back. Definitely not boring.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada