HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Chelsea Creek...

a green community of people that commute to gatineau and ottawa to work ...
I dont think its the right location for such a development should be closer to the cores and near rapid transit

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:12 PM
Awesome!

Big plans possible for Richmond Village

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...3-50d4bd4f54b9
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:17 PM
Awesome!

It will be green only if there is more public transit there in the rush hour. The H-C-W line, which the TMP plan suggest rail service for 2037 is probably too far to the east and south of the community for potential rapid transit commuting and currently only two trips serve Old Chelsea.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 4:30 PM
Awesome!

I've briefly heard on CTV that the development project planned near Scotiabank Place along the Carp River is currently on hold.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 4:31 PM

A new section of Riverside South, south of Earl Armstrong, adjacent to the LRT/transit line, by Avalon Homes:

http://www.avalonottawa.com/summerhi...ummerhill.html

The purple triangle ("il Mercado") looks interesting:

il Mercado an exclusive Mediterranean-themed neighborhood.
80,000 square feet Commercial consisting of:
Specialty shops
Professional offices
Banking
300 Mediterranean-influenced condos with vista corridors
Exotic foliage

The rendering looks kind of neat.

(not sure how "Exotic foliage" might survive the winter...)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 4:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
A new section of Riverside South, south of Earl Armstrong, adjacent to the LRT/transit line, by Avalon Homes:

If you buy a unit do you get a Roxy Music CD with the purchase?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 4:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
I've briefly heard on CTV that the development project planned near Scotiabank Place along the Carp River is currently on hold.
Kudos to the engineer at the City who resisted the overt pressure from within City Hall and the developers and their consultants who were to benefit.

The press I'm reading sounds too simplistic that the engineering firm did not account for runoff as a result of the new development (in other words lands that would be housing would have a lower runoff co-efficient as there is now a lot of hard surfaces etc). I think that they didn't totally account for all the new development. I can't believe that they didn't account for any of it.

Last edited by clynnog; Feb 6, 2008 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 5:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
Kudos to the engineer at the City who resisted the overt pressure from within City Hall and the developers and their consultants who were to benefit.

The press I'm reading sounds too simplistic that the engineering firm did not account for runoff as a result of the new development (in other words lands that would be housing would have a lower runoff co-efficient as there is now a lot of hard surfaces etc). I think that they didn't totally account for all the new development. I can't believe that they didn't account for any of it.

From what I hear, the owners groups for Kanata West aren't too happy about all of this.

Mille..what is the buzz within City Hall on this.
From what I've heard, city hall seemed quite content to go along with it. It was an engineer from within city hall who lost his job that appealed the approval to the OMB, and as a result got his hands on documents which seemed to show that the flooding analysis was incomplete.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 6:52 PM
you know my steez

^He didn't lose his job, but he was reassigned to a different project.

Quote:
il Mercado an exclusive Mediterranean-themed neighborhood.
80,000 square feet Commercial consisting of:
Specialty shops
Professional offices
Banking
300 Mediterranean-influenced condos with vista corridors
Exotic foliage
It's worth noting that the last bullet point in this list said "LRT station". Don't count on it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez View Post
It's worth noting that the last bullet point in this list said "LRT station". Don't count on it.
Why? In the latest round of transit debates, council did approve LRT to Riverside South as part of the network.

I'm holding out hope that it will happen eventually- just 10 years later and at least 50% more expensive.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:33 AM
you know my steez

That's not entirely true.

What council did was identify a hastily-put-together set of near-term transit investments that they thought should merit immediate funding (without study) so that they could cash in on the money coming from Queen's Park. One of those projects was to extend the current DMU O-train to Leitrim Road...well short of the intersection of Earl of Armstrong and Spratt.

What is happening now is the City is building a new rapid transit network plan for the year 2031, to be included as part of the 2008 TMP. I can confirm that LRT through Riverside South is not part of this plan. This does not mean that it 100% won't happen--we've seen that political interference can drastically change the scope of transportation plans--but as it stands right now there are no plans to run LRT through Riverside South.

This development shows how the N-S line was flexing its TOD inducing muscles well before it was to be built. Sad that it likely won't happen now.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 3:48 PM

Quote:
That's not entirely true.

What council did was identify a hastily-put-together set of near-term transit investments that they thought should merit immediate funding (without study) so that they could cash in on the money coming from Queen's Park. One of those projects was to extend the current DMU O-train to Leitrim Road...well short of the intersection of Earl of Armstrong and Spratt.

What is happening now is the City is building a new rapid transit network plan for the year 2031, to be included as part of the 2008 TMP. I can confirm that LRT through Riverside South is not part of this plan. This does not mean that it 100% won't happen--we've seen that political interference can drastically change the scope of transportation plans--but as it stands right now there are no plans to run LRT through Riverside South.

This development shows how the N-S line was flexing its TOD inducing muscles well before it was to be built. Sad that it likely won't happen now.

Tell us more. Especially when the temporary plan had a Riverside South line. Is it true that the Transitway to Barrhaven would be converted to LRT? That's the latest information I had. You can post in the Transporation thread to avoid confusion.

Last edited by p_xavier; Feb 7, 2008 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 6:40 PM

Quote:
as it stands right now there are no plans to run LRT through Riverside South.
This is probably starting to get off-topic, but the post by d_jeffrey in the Transportation thread (here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=585) showing 3 options that were presented to council as part of the TMP update ALL show some form of rapid transit through Riverside South along the same NS-LRT corridor.

I don't see that corridor changing. Whether it's LRT or BRT, 5 years from now or 20, it will happen eventually. They simply can't build out Riverside South without it being served by rapid transit.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 7:29 PM
you know my steez

I'm going to reply in the Transit forum...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:

CBC TV was reporting this evening that the branch manager at the engineering firm that did the storm water management report (that is now in question) is married to the MNR rep who signed off (on behalf of MNR) on the storm water management report. Obviously, in a development of this magnitude MNR is not the only applicable commenting agency.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:33 AM
National Capital Region

Manotick residents "fear the unknown"

next week Wednesday should be interesting....

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Manotick residents "fear the unknown"

next week Wednesday should be interesting....
Says Roger Greenberg: "What we are going to do there is make it a flagship community. We feel that all the buzzwords that apply to smart growth is what we are proposing to do in Manotick."

Except that there are no commercial or employment zones anywhere in the development, so everyone will have to leave for work, and there probably won't be much, if any, transit. But other than that....

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:48 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
It will be green only if there is more public transit there in the rush hour. The H-C-W line, which the TMP plan suggest rail service for 2037 is probably too far to the east and south of the community for potential rapid transit commuting and currently only two trips serve Old Chelsea.
Speaking of Chelsea Creek, I wonder if the MTQ is going to be ready for the influx of drivers on autoroute 5? Was there plans to create a link to 50 west to offload the lineup of people trying to get to downtown Hull? Or were there plans to revamp that entire spaghetti-like mess of an interchange?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 8:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Naaaaaaaah. Levels of government never talk to each other when it comes to this type of thing. Municipalities approve hundreds if not thousands of single-use residential communities without thinking or where all these people will work and how they’ll get there.

Actually, Chelsea Creek won’t be so bad, as we’re only talking about 200 homes and the 5 is nowhere near capacity.

But what I find amazing is for example the Escarpement de Limbour development they are working on on the east side of the Gatineau River just north of the Alonzo-Wright Bridge. There are thousands of homes slated to be built there, yet Gatineau has no firm commitment for the (maxed-out) bridge’s widening, nor does it even provide transit yet to the few hundred people who already live there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 2:16 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Minto will appeal decision at OMB if council rejects application
Jake Rupert
The Ottawa Citizen
Monday, February 11, 2008

If city council rejects Minto's application to develop 430 acres of land in Manotick Wednesday, the company will appeal the ruling to the Ontario Municipal Board, the company's vice-president of development said Monday.

"It wouldn't be our first preference," Jack Sterling said, "but if we don't have the support of council, we would appeal."

The municipality is not the final arbiter of whether or not development can occur. That power lies with the board, made up of provincial appointees.
Mr. Sterling said with city staff recommending the project go ahead, the land designated for development and an number of other factors in Minto's favour, the company feels there is good reason for council to overturn its rural-affairs committee's decision to reject the proposal two weeks ago.

He said the company has satisfied all relevant concerns about the project, and the plan meets the city's goals and needs.

"There's a full range of reasons why it's appropriate," Mr. Sterling said.

If the matter does go to the board, the staff recommendation and the land's being designated for construction would weigh in the company's favour.

Minto's plan has hit a nerve with many of the community's 5,200 residents.

The company wants to build 1,750 houses, including single-family homes, townhouses and semi-detached dwellings, on the southern edge of the village between Century Road, First Line Road and Main Street.

Under the company's plan, about 1,400 homes would be built over the next nine years and 350 would be built at a later date.

Many residents argue the project, which could more than double the size of the village, would destroy the character of the area and snarl traffic.

About 200 people opposed to the project went to city council's rural-affairs committee last month to voice their opinions, and the committee voted 4-2 against the development.

Since then, the company has been meeting with residents' associations from the area and with Rideau-Goulbourn Glenn Brooks.

"We're trying to close the gap between our plans and their expectations," Mr. Sterling said. "We think the leaders of the associations understand the issues, but I'm not sure the average resident of the area does."

Many people from other rural villages with land around them designated for future growth are watching what happens in Manotick because what happens there could set a precedent for their areas.

In Richmond, one of Canada's biggest house-builders, Mattamy Homes, has bought or optioned 320 acres of land that is currently being farmed and has made it known that the company is planning a subdivision.

The land is on the west side of Richmond, from Fortune and Queen Charlotte streets to the village boundary, and is also designated as a future-growth area in Ottawa's official plan.

Mattamy project manager Susan Murphy said the company is beginning its planning process and it's too early to talk about the number of houses or any description of a development. She said those things will be worked out by talking with people in Richmond and the city government.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008
Russell Township is another area set to boom... 24,000 (almost double the population) by 2025. right now the market is dominated by local (ie based in Russell township) builders.

here's a development coming on the west side of Russell
http://www.melanieconstruction.com/oldtowne/phase1.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs