HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
22 and still car free. Currently living in WC. I was in Houston for 6 months and was car free there as well.
Shit! Didn't expect you to be 22, thought you were a working professional

Same here, 22, car free in WC, bus to work on Riverside. Occasionally drive a car when parents come into town or when going around with friends.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialPBreton View Post
Shit! Didn't expect you to be 22, thought you were a working professional

Same here, 22, car free in WC, bus to work on Riverside. Occasionally drive a car when parents come into town or when going around with friends.
Just realized I replied to a post in... 2017. Lol

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 3:32 PM

Not car free, but go weeks without driving. Live downtown and walk or bike most places daily. Average 6K per year on car. Mostly to drive to Dallas/Houston/SA for work.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:37 PM

I am definitely not car free. I drive a ford F-150 crew cab. I work from home most of the time. I drive into the office (by the Triangle here in Austin) once every other week when I am not travelling. I travel to Houston for work every other week via rent-a-car.
My wife drive a Pathfinder to work but she also drops the kids off at school every morning and picks them up. We don't live in district. I also do most of my maintanance work on my own vehicles, oil changes, tune ups, brakes, I even rebuilt a carburator once on my old 87 Dodge Dakota. I can't imagine being carless.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 11:53 PM

Not me either and never will be. I have a passion for them especially older muscle cars.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 2:14 PM
World Traveler

I see a world where you can still have car enthusiasts/hobbyists and great mass transit. Right now there isn't really the option to be truly carless in many places, and that's unfortunate. In reality, there will never be a world where literally every place can be carless, but I don't think that needs to be the goal. Having options and reducing overall emissions and reducing congestions somewhat by getting many people off the road and into buses and trains (who are happy to do so because they go to/from where they need to go and have decent connections for the last mile) is my wish.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 3:44 AM

There was a time when the question was asked, "Who is really HorseFree?"

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Not me either and never will be. I have a passion for them especially older muscle cars.
My kind of guy! I have a muscle car and 2 gas guzzling BMW's that are somewhat rare. tons of fun, never a dull moment! Get out of the left lane please!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRockstead View Post
I also do most of my maintanance work on my own vehicles, oil changes, tune ups, brakes, I even rebuilt a carburator once on my old 87 Dodge Dakota. I can't imagine being carless.
Me too. Its a hobby. Just had my motor torn down pretty far the last few weeks. Back up and running, better than ever! People who like EV's probably don't know how to work on an engine. EV's are boring when it comes to being an hobby mechanic. To me, a car is not a tool, its something I built, its a passion.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin