HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 7:55 AM

Today

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 3:03 AM

On Tuesday noticed a prepped road closure, it probably arrived shortly after I left the area
(when editing, I now scan the skies for drones, maybe a few flying over head without us noticing post #1203 Butterfly )

Today
Mobile Crane will be there for the next few days

[IMG][/IMG]....
Video Link

Last edited by Zepfancouver; Feb 3, 2023 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
This is so far a very different color scheme than I was expecting. I suppose the wood and copper details are still to come, but I do wonder how noticeable they will end up being.
Still waiting for any hint of color on these two. They are taking long to finish them off.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
The neighbouring rental tower's main floor has a great finish and contribution to the corner. Can't wait for this to finish up. Most excited about the lane and getting some more office workers here.
Quote:
Still waiting for any hint of color on these two. They are taking long to finish them off.
The rental tower next door is showing a nice color, I'd like to see more vibrant colors like that on buildings.

Taken on Jan 23, 2023

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 6:40 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure there's any 'colour' to come. The blue on the glazing is just a protective plastic film. So is the black on the curved metal mouldings - they'll be silver. There are wood-look panels on the lane facade, and it looks like those have been used on the underside of the balconies; you can see it on a few already. The same finish looks like it'll be the crowns of the building, and it may be on the vertical shades and the balcony handrails, if those haven't changed. (It looks like some are white, although that may also be a protective film). I would expect them to leave protection on almost everything until the last minute, so the big reveal is probably a couple of weeks away, at least.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 9:04 AM

Here's a pic of the copper accents mentioned by Klazu, but I don't know if those are to come or have been deleted?

The as-built balcony railings don't look like they are copper, but the 2nd and 3rd floors from the top look to have copper panels
- could be the start of installation all the way down the tower?

EDIT:

Found this rendering and the copper panels are only on the top 3-4 floors, and the copper fins and railings may have been deleted.

https://pdplondon.com/landmark-on-robson

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 27, 2023 at 9:17 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Here's a pic of the copper accents mentioned by Klazu, but I don't know if those are to come or have been deleted?

The as-built balcony railings don't look like they are copper, but the 2nd and 3rd floors from the top look to have copper panels
- could be the start of installation all the way down the tower?

EDIT:

Found this rendering and the copper panels are only on the top 3-4 floors, and the copper fins and railings may have been deleted.
Those are also, to my eye, a wood-look panel, not copper. As we know, finishes and materials often change from the render. In this case I don't think they've cheapened out, as what they're using isn't any less expensive - just less bright. It may always have been this material that was intended, and the render was misleading.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post
The development application is up on the COV website: 1488 Robson Street - DP-2016-00376

Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership has applied to the City of Vancouver for permission to develop this site with a 28 and 30 storey mixed-use building. The proposal includes the following:

• 280 dwelling units (57 social housing units /223 market units);
retail use on the ground floor and office use on the second and third floors;
• 393,850 sq. ft. of floor area;
• building height of 300 ft.; and
• four levels of underground parking accessed from the lane.
I am excited about new retail and office on this block. Hopefully it will liven up and connect Robson Street.

And maybe some development will happen on the other side of the street with the apparently-forever undeveloped lot on the corner, tired hotel and low density buildings there. Google Street View Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 6:34 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm hoping it'll inject some energy into that stretch of the street.

Robson REALLY needs a makeover. The strip needs a health mix of living space and offices above all of that retail. It's become a very underutilized street.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 8:40 PM

The office will be a good addition for day traffic. Robson is quite healthy and busy west of Broughton.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 8:50 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
The office will be a good addition for day traffic. Robson is quite healthy and busy west of Broughton.
Robson is quite busy west of Hamilton.

But I'll speak about west of Burrard since I know that best: the newest and most trendy restaurants are west of Broughton, but the busiest retail stretch is Burrard to Bute but the Breka at Bute and Ramen Danbo between Broughton and Jervis are the biggest draws of them all.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 10:01 PM

The first hints of colour are showing. One balcony on the eastern tower has the wraps off the handrail, and it's the same bronze colour as the vertical fins on the podium. There's also a strip also showing around the underside of one of the balconies, so it looks like they're following at least some of the colour scheme shown on the render.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 10:46 PM

Thanks, nice to hear!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
The first hints of colour are showing. One balcony on the eastern tower has the wraps off the handrail, and...
Ah! Did not notice when capturing last week.

Video screen grab Jan 23, 2023

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 11:56 PM

Looks good.
I think the black edging must also be a wrap as well, otherwise it looks really messy with bird poop!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Looks good.
I think the black edging must also be a wrap as well, otherwise it looks really messy with bird poop!
It is a wrap. It'll be silver metal. That's why I don't think we know what this will look like for a few weeks - the black wrapped metal, and the blue film on the glazing are quite misleading.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:23 PM

I'm trying to remember why they couldn't replace the Empire Landmark with at least one of the new towers having the same height? Can't imagine shadowing to be of concern for that site.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I'm trying to remember why they couldn't replace the Empire Landmark with at least one of the new towers having the same height? Can't imagine shadowing to be of concern for that site.
Because they built it under the existing zoning - C6A. So they can have 31 and 32 storey towers up to 300 feet tall, with 5,500 sq ft floorplates. They're already at 9.625 FSR - it wouldn't have been worth spending a couple of years trying to get a rezoning, where there's no policy to support it, for only a slight increase in density that they would have to pay a CAC on. They only had to go down for three levels of parking, too.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 11:02 PM

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 12:01 AM

Sounds like one or both of the cranes were removed at the end of February (saw a road closure notice for the site)

It'll be interesting to see how reflective the bronze finish will be.

Last edited by jollyburger; Jun 23, 2023 at 1:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver