HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
If read out loud by someone who knows how to pronounce it properly, that passage is quite understandable to someone who knows modern English.
No. No modern English speaker could understand "trowe", however it is pronounced. A French speaker could, on the other hand, since this is a French word.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2023, 10:52 PM

You can easily derive its meaning from the rest of the sentence. Just like a five year old learns new words.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Both "block" and "Europe" are French words. So your text is wrong in the first place.

It is nearly impossible to speak English without using words of French origin.
Not particularly difficult.

"Yesterday I ate an apple. It was good. But then for breakfast today I baked a chicken and it made me sick. I went outside and looked at the sunny sky and then I felt better."

That paragraph is a cohesive thought, an entire story, and guess what? Not a single word of French or of Latin origin. 100% Germanic.

You can't construct a complete story like that in English without using words of Germanic origin. Because, again, the core vocabulary of English is overwhelmingly Germanic. Statements like "French words are 60% of English" are completely misleading because they ignore that we use words like today, eat, and the way more often than we use the words parliament, cuisine, or attorney.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 2:54 AM

^^You are just trying too hard. French vocabulary is not confined to words like "parliament" or "cuisine". Try speaking everyday English without using French words like "just", "very", "sure", "use", "enjoy", etc, it's just not possible. Limiting yourself to Germanic words would make you sound like a mentally retarded person, with not enough vocabulary to express yourself even in the most mundane, daily interactions. It's not just speeches in Parliament that require French words, what a silly thing to say!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:48 AM
Registered Drug User

Didn't know where else to post this, so I thought this thread would do.

Bagel-off between Montreal and New York. Blindfolded New Yorker is diplomatic, but it's fairly obvious that he prefers the Montreal bagel. What caught my ear, though, is that the second generation owner of St. Viateur Bagels, who speaks Quebec accented English, pronounced the street name as "Saint Vee-ay-der."

Is that really how anglos say it? (01:31)

https://www.fox5ny.com/video/1395667

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Bagel-off between Montreal and New York. Blindfolded New Yorker is diplomatic, but it's fairly obvious that he prefers the Montreal bagel. What caught my ear, though, is that the second generation owner of St. Viateur Bagels, who speaks Quebec accented English, pronounced the street name as "Saint Vee-ay-der."

Reminds me of the folks who refer to the "Shadow Laurier" in Ottawa. Canadian sloppy enunciation.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 1:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I find that pronunciation of French names by anglophones in Montreal varies widely, with no set standard and some anglos pronouncing them perfectly the French way, and others using very English phonology. And anything in between.

Vince Morena from St-Viateur has a similar accent to mine in English if I haven't been speaking English for a while.

When I've been speaking English more regularly, though, I sound more like Justin Trudeau.

Last edited by Acajack; Jan 16, 2024 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

If he had gone to Fairmount bagels, he could have avoided all the pronunciation problems.

I myself prefer St. Viateur. We stocked up with 24 half-dozen the last time I was in Montreal (Sept 23). All gobbled within three weeks. I can get frozen ones at the local Metro, however.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I find that pronunciation of French names by anglophones in Montreal varies widely, with no set standard and some anglos pronouncing them perfectly the French way, and others using very English phonology. And anything in between.

Vince Morena from St-Viateur has a similar accent to mine in English if I haven't been speaking English for a while.

When I've been speaking English more regularly, though, I sound more like Justin Trudeau.
His English has it's oddities. I noticed the other day that he pronounces "rather" as "rahther" (English "a" with a Canadian final "r"). He, like many others, also says "elecTORal" rather than "eLECtoral". I wonder when that became a thing?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:27 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

Sort of? I lived on Jeanne-Mance and St-Viateur for several years. A more muted kind of "Vee-uh-ter" for me. But I've heard the other.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
His English has it's oddities. I noticed the other day that he pronounces "rather" as "rahther" (English "a" with a Canadian final "r"). He, like many others, also says "elecTORal" rather than "eLECtoral". I wonder when that became a thing?
So you say "raw-ther"?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
So you say "raw-ther"?
I think your rawther is the same as my rahther. I say rather - same soft "a" as apple or man.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I think your rawther is the same as my rahther. I say rather - same soft "a" as apple or man.
The A in my "rather" sounds like the A in hat or rat. It's (North) American, I gather.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:18 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Sort of? I lived on Jeanne-Mance

Oh, yeah... and "Gene Mantz".

That's probably going to sound stranger than the St. Viateur thing.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
The A in my "rather" sounds like the A in hat or rat. It's (North) American, I gather.
Yes. That's why I found the PM's version odd.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Oh, yeah... and "Gene Mantz".

That's probably going to sound stranger than the St. Viateur thing.
The anglo media in Montreal aren't quite that bad, though they do have a lot of French names they pronounce as if they were in English. (When you know for a fact the hosts know how to say them the French way.)

François Legault is "frann-swaw luh-goh". Longueuil is "long-gay". Lucien Bouchard is "loo-sienn boo-shard". "Jean Chrétien" is "zhawn kretch-yenn".

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 4:05 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
The anglo media in Montreal aren't quite that bad, though they do have a lot of French names they pronounce as if they were in English. (When you know for a fact the hosts know how to say them the French way.)

Most Anglos I knew who grew up in that part of town said it that way. I suppose these were people born between 1970-1985ish. Being a transplant, I generally code-switched. I'd definitely use Gene Mantz as well as Zhahn-Mahnse, but stopped short of "St. Lawrence" and certainly "Dorchester", which I really only ever heard from older Westmount and NDG Anglos.

I absolutely said "Saint Henry", "Park Avenue" and "Saint Urban", though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 4:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Most Anglos I knew who grew up in that part of town said it that way. I suppose these were people born between 1970-1985ish. Being a transplant, I generally code-switched. I'd definitely use Gene Mantz as well as Zhahn-Mahnse, but stopped short of "St. Lawrence" and certainly "Dorchester", which I really only ever heard from older Westmount and NDG Anglos.

I absolutely said "Saint Henry", "Park Avenue" and "Saint Urban", though.
I've also noticed they say "Saint Lee-oh-nard" instead of "Saint Lennard" (or Saint-Léonard).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 4:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

François Legault is "frann-swaw luh-goh". Longueuil is "long-gay". Lucien Bouchard is "loo-sienn boo-shard". "Jean Chrétien" is "zhawn kretch-yenn".
I would imagine the anglo media in Montreal know they are servicing an overwhelming anglophone listening audience, and tailor their pronunciations accordingly (the Montreal version of "BBC English").

Do many Montrealais listen to anglo media regularly?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 4:12 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
I've also noticed they say "Saint Lee-oh-nard" instead of "Saint Lennard" (or Saint-Léonard).
Definitely. I had an Italian-Montrealer ex from that area. "St Leo" in text form.

Some names seemed so rarely used among Anglos that the form hadn't settled. "Hoh-sheh-la-ga" or "Osh-la-ga", didn't seem to matter. You never went there! (I actually lived there 2001-3).

De La Veh-Rahn-Dree-Ay.

Noder-Dame, of course. Mountain. But not Saint-Anthony for Saint-Antoine. Venn-dome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada