HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 5:03 PM
User Registered

Well Western Road does provide a more direct route connecting the two sections of the former Highway 4 through the city (Warncliffe south and Richmond north). If you count Warncliffe, Western and Richmond you have a 'through' route north-south. Too bad it's horribly inefficient. No centre turn lanes on Warncliffe south between Base Line and Emery, down to 1 northbound lane north of Horton towards the Children's museum, and only 2 lanes between Oxford and Patt's Lane.

Oh and the buses and lack of bus bays. Nothing like having a bus stopped in the right lane and a car trying to turn in the left lane... May as well take Wonderland.

Perhaps Google will update it telling people to take Wonderland once the new 401 interchange is built. Ground should be broken on that junction this year.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Well Western Road does provide a more direct route connecting the two sections of the former Highway 4 through the city (Warncliffe south and Richmond north). If you count Warncliffe, Western and Richmond you have a 'through' route north-south. Too bad it's horribly inefficient. No centre turn lanes on Warncliffe south between Base Line and Emery, down to 1 northbound lane north of Horton towards the Children's museum, and only 2 lanes between Oxford and Patt's Lane.
Absolutely, it is a major artery in London. It is not, however, a highway of national significance. A highway of national significance is Highway 17 in Northern Ontario, as it is part of the Trans-Canada Highway. Classifying Western Road and Highway 17 as roads of the same significance is delusional.

Another problem with Google's classifications that messes up Map Directions is that the default speed for National Highway roads is 85 km/h, which of course makes sense in rural areas. Although these speeds can be changed by Map Maker users, Google's system has a tendency to automatically revert those speeds back to the default value, I'm guessing when system updates are made. In my former days editing those maps, I had to clean up after Google on several occasions where correct speed limits had been erased and the default one came back.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:11 PM

Making a brief visit in London. I notice today that the old rusty CN bridge over Oxford Street is now covered by a big See Finch First banner. Looks a lot better than before, but I guess this is now the Brian Finch bridge. At least it's not a Farhi banner.

Also looks like the widening of Oxford west of Hyde Park is ready to get underway!

Speaking of Farhi, there's a bunch of old trailers along the 401 east of London covered in Farhi banners. You can't escape him.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Making a brief visit in London. I notice today that the old rusty CN bridge over Oxford Street is now covered by a big See Finch First banner. Looks a lot better than before, but I guess this is now the Brian Finch bridge. At least it's not a Farhi banner.
There's also a Mercedes Benz ad covering the top of the Wellington CN underpass, they seem to have popped up before the Skating championships. Hopefully money goes to replace or rebuild other shitty over/under passes like Wharncliffe, Western & Platts Lane.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
There's also a Mercedes Benz ad covering the top of the Wellington CN underpass, they seem to have popped up before the Skating championships. Hopefully money goes to replace or rebuild other shitty over/under passes like Wharncliffe, Western & Platts Lane.
I noticed the one on Oxford yesterday. The advert money goes to the bridges' owner: CN or CP (depending on the line). Unfortunately because of the Railroad Act, the railroad can do whatever or not to its structures as long as they remain safe. They have the power of God. Generally, the railroads care little for aesthetics (unfortunately).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 7:14 PM

Did some more driving around London today (family visits, etc.) If there's one thing I don't miss about driving in London, it's the long waits to turn left and the brief left-turn arrows. It takes so much longer to turn left at major intersections here than in any other city I've driven in in Ontario, including Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 4:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

Also looks like the widening of Oxford west of Hyde Park is ready to get underway!

Speaking of Farhi, there's a bunch of old trailers along the 401 east of London covered in Farhi banners. You can't escape him.

New Finchbanners are coming soon: "Hello London! I'm Bald!"

finch a loaf

seefinchfirst.com

Last edited by MolsonExport; Apr 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 6:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

For old times' sake:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 5:58 AM

How far west are they widening Oxford to?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 12:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^sanitorium Rd. Rick Santorum Rd.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:24 PM

Looks like London is going to get another roundabout, this time a 2 lane one. Council approved new intersection at Hamilton & Old Victoria Road. Should be interesting, see if London drivers are ready for 2 lane roundabout.
http://sire.london.ca/view.aspx?cabi...s&fileid=92431

Also council approved plan to widen Sarnia from Wonderland to Western Road. Unfortunately its currently planned to occur in 2022, same time as a watermain replacement. Although they've promised to look at moving up the date to a more appropriate date.
http://sire.london.ca/view.aspx?cabi...s&fileid=92436

Last edited by Pimpmasterdac; May 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM. Reason: new working links

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Looks like London is going to get another roundabout, this time a 2 lane one. Council approved new intersection at Hamilton & Old Victoria Road. Should be interesting, see if London drivers are ready for 2 lane roundabout.
http://sire.london.ca/cache/2/gigbzc...3042048720.PDF
Not sure why but I cannot open the pdf, anyways though glad to see this happening.

I think they should have made Trafalgar/Hale 2 lanes as it would have been a lot easier for some people to learn how a roundabout works. Currently I think I am in the maybe 1% of people who actually signal correctly (I use it daily plus have prior experience with them in other countries).

Maybe will see a 2 lane at Wonderland/Wharncliffe one day.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 9:43 PM

Hmm, didn't know why the failed. I put new ones in, seem to work this time..

I'm also glad to see the city is planning more roundabouts. I know there's one tentatively planned for Hyde Park & Sunningdale when Hyde Park is widened, and believe another on Adelaide or Highbury & Sunningdale. They do the trick in the rest of the work, it's just educating drivers. Too many are stuck in their old ways and can't/don't want to change.

Triangle of doom at Wonderland/Wharncliffe/Exeter IMO would be a great candidate for a massive roundabout, say 3 lanes encompassing the whole triangle. Though knowing London driver it would be overwhelming...

3 other areas IMO would be good candidates for roundabouts are Southdale & Pond Mills since it's a T intersection right now. Trafalger/Hamilton/Egerton rather than the 5 set of lights they got now. Southdale & Boler since its 3 way stop T intersection.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Hmm, didn't know why the failed. I put new ones in, seem to work this time..

I'm also glad to see the city is planning more roundabouts. I know there's one tentatively planned for Hyde Park & Sunningdale when Hyde Park is widened, and believe another on Adelaide or Highbury & Sunningdale. They do the trick in the rest of the work, it's just educating drivers. Too many are stuck in their old ways and can't/don't want to change.

Triangle of doom at Wonderland/Wharncliffe/Exeter IMO would be a great candidate for a massive roundabout, say 3 lanes encompassing the whole triangle. Though knowing London driver it would be overwhelming...

3 other areas IMO would be good candidates for roundabouts are Southdale & Pond Mills since it's a T intersection right now. Trafalger/Hamilton/Egerton rather than the 5 set of lights they got now. Southdale & Boler since its 3 way stop T intersection.
Working for me now so not sure what it was, may have been on my end.

I completely agree it works everywhere else in the world, it is sad we basically need to force it on people however that is the only way to do it. The general public as you said just do not like change even though with some education on the subject they would see the benefits.

good suggestions on those areas as well, trafalger/hamolton/egerton would be great the only issue is space as the buildings are all right on the road. Something would need to be leveled which lets be honest that little Chinese food place on Egerton/ham could go without to much uproar.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 7:38 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
http://sire.london.ca/view.aspx?cabi...s&fileid=92431
]
Wow, that's great news! I drive through that intersection everyday and this is desperately needed. Good to see that London is starting to embrace traffic circles, especially in urban/rural fringe areas like Sunningdale.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 9:29 PM
User Registered

lol they'll build the roundabout in 2016 but don't plan on widening until 2024 or beyond. I wonder if one lane of the roundabout will be closed until the widening is done.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:18 AM

I checked, looks like Sunningdale is going to be filled with roundabouts. Sunningdale's intersections with Hyde Park, Wonderland, Adelaide are scheduled to be roundabouts within the next 10 years, and 2 lane roundabouts. Even Richmond was looked at but I guess was passed over.

Hyde Park: http://london.ca/Transportation_Plan...HPR_ESR_F2.pdf
Wonderland & Adelaide: http://london.ca/Transportation_Plan...-FINAL-ESR.pdf

Well Hamioton Rd roundabout will be a luxurious one huge one lane round about until they ever get to widening the road..

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:58 PM
User Registered

Double left turn lanes for Warncliffe/Southdale?

http://www.london.ca/Transportation/PDFs/WH-INT.pdf

Not sure if it's part of the current Southdale widening but if so it would be London's first 4-way double-left-turn intersection!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Double left turn lanes for Warncliffe/Southdale?

http://www.london.ca/Transportation/PDFs/WH-INT.pdf

Not sure if it's part of the current Southdale widening but if so it would be London's first 4-way double-left-turn intersection!
For the volume of traffic in London, there is a surprising lack of double left turn lanes at major intersections. Virtually all major intersections in Kingston have them, and have had them for decades.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 10:12 PM
User Registered

Currently only two places have them to my knowledge:
-Commissioners WB at Wellington
-Fanshawe Park WB at Wonderland

A double left-turn is planned for Sarnia WB at Wonderland but the additional lane might just be bus-only.

(Interesting that they are all WB)

A 4-way double-left is proposed for Wonderland/Southdale .

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure