HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 4:02 AM

I'm sure I've said this more than once, but it just irks me when the advertisements for buildings like this try to sell chic urban living, but they completely cater to the auto dominated lifestyle with a buuuutt load of parking!

Let's look at our sisterish city, Portland....Take the Pearl district (or any neighborhood there)...most of the buildings have little to zero parking. You rely on the bus, rail, bike, or your two feet to get around the urban core. ***I know y'all know this already & I don't mean to steer this 2 our transportation crisis - Just sayyyinnnnn***

The Independent is a nice building for Austin

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 6:08 AM
Meh

For now at least a lot of the residential in downtown is still very high end/high dollar. Walking is nice, but they want some place for their Ferraris.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 7:06 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
It's a shame...Austin could have two "Riverwalks" and they are not doing much about it. Yes, I know, they are working on Waller Creek. But, I do not see any signs leading me to believe many restaurants and/or retail are going to be involved at the creek level there. AND, nothing is being done with Shoal Creek.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but, couldn't the tower of the Independent be shifted closer to Shoal Creek (CVCs?). And if so, residential units could have been brought down closer to the creek front - creating a more subtle transfer between nature and urban development. I would much rather see a condo balconies than 9 levels of parking garage as I was strolling down Shoal Creek.

I know, I know...one cannot "stroll" down Shoal Creek now...but, what about 5-10 years from now?
I think you will see some "riverwalk type of development" in time along parts of Waller Creek but it's not intended as an emulation of the San Antonio Riverwalk. I prefer to call it a creek walk since that's what it is. It's going to be mostly natural which fits with Austin's character and culture. Personally if they are able to seamlessly blend a couple of stretches where the urban fabric mixes in between the parks and natural areas, I think it will be a success.

You can't built too close or too low to Shoal Creek due to the flood risk which was quite evident this past Memorial Day weekend. There are no plans at this time to build a tunnel to control the waterflow. Hopefully in the future that may change.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
You can't built too close or too low to Shoal Creek due to the flood risk which was quite evident this past Memorial Day weekend. There are no plans at this time to build a tunnel to control the waterflow. Hopefully in the future that may change.
From a recent email from Shoal Creek Conservancy:

"…A City-led flood mitigation task force is being convened to recommend solutions to flood issues and the conversation about a Shoal Creek flood control tunnel is heating up…"

Not sure exactly what that means, but sounds like there is at least some talk of a flood control tunnel.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 3:31 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
For now at least a lot of the residential in downtown is still very high end/high dollar. Walking is nice, but they want some place for their Ferraris.
Speaking of, have you seen this tower in Miami (Sunny Isles Beach)? Residents have private elevators for their cars. Perhaps we can expect to see this next

http://investinmiami.com/porsche-des.../#.VctlpqRVhBc

Quote:
Exclusivity has never felt this good as you soar above the Atlantic, in a glass elevator, on your way to your very own private garage in the sky. The Porsche Design Tower is the first of its kind anywhere; each unit comes equipped with an elevator. . . for your car. “You don’t have to leave your car until you are inside your apartment,” said Juergen Gessler, CEO of Porsche Design Group.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 3:48 PM

Shaol Creek flood control yes.... Riverwalk: no thank you

Would rather see it as more of a natural flow creek with a trail.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Speaking of, have you seen this tower in Miami (Sunny Isles Beach)? Residents have private elevators for their cars. Perhaps we can expect to see this next

http://investinmiami.com/porsche-des.../#.VctlpqRVhBc

I literally could see this happening in Austin....and then in 60 years it would be some vacant dystopian skeleton.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 9:31 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Shaol Creek flood control yes.... Riverwalk: no thank you

Would rather see it as more of a natural flow creek with a trail.
I've always thought it would be nice to have one of each - an urbanized river walk type one, and a more natural one since we have the two creeks. I would rather see Shoal Creek be the natural one since the Shoal Creek Trail goes on well north of downtown and it's kind of already geared towards nature. Waller Creek is already more urbanized anyway since it's closer to the guts of downtown.

And yes, I've heard of those auto towers before. Companies like Porche, Audi and Volkswagon invented ways of storing their cars vertically at their plants. It was only a matter of time before Americans caught on that those could be used in residential towers.

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXDN_-cfoQ

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 10:48 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Could you have street-level, or even tiered a little lower as well, restaurants/cafes? You'd keep the natural creek and trail along it, but also have outdoor patios overlooking the creek. It doesn't necessarily have to look like SA's Riverwalk where everything is concrete and stone, and right on top of the creek.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 12:33 AM
World Traveler

I agree with the idea of keeping one of them more natural - and I think lzppjb has a point that capitalizing on the natural beauty of the creek area doesn't have to diminish the natural feel of it. Of course, if restaurants, etc., were packed with a foot between one another, that'd be a little much, but every once in a while having a patio-style restaurant that emphasizes the creek, I think, would be a great addition. Austin could definitely pull it off, too, since natural beauty is a big draw to the area. It could certainly be done in an environmentally sensitive way to satisfy those who would just as well stop any and all development of any kind for fear of harming some currently unknown species...

Flood control would be a must before anything like that happened, of course - doesn't necessarily have to be a big, expensive tunnel (I'd rather tunnels be kept for a subway line....okay, just dreaming). Even so, something ought to be done. Good to hear that talks to that end are beginning/happening.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 1:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I agree with the idea of keeping one of them more natural - and I think lzppjb has a point that capitalizing on the natural beauty of the creek area doesn't have to diminish the natural feel of it. Of course, if restaurants, etc., were packed with a foot between one another, that'd be a little much, but every once in a while having a patio-style restaurant that emphasizes the creek, I think, would be a great addition. Austin could definitely pull it off, too, since natural beauty is a big draw to the area. It could certainly be done in an environmentally sensitive way to satisfy those who would just as well stop any and all development of any kind for fear of harming some currently unknown species...

Flood control would be a must before anything like that happened, of course - doesn't necessarily have to be a big, expensive tunnel (I'd rather tunnels be kept for a subway line....okay, just dreaming). Even so, something ought to be done. Good to hear that talks to that end are beginning/happening.
There are enough backdoor entrances facing Shoal Creek that there could definitely be some patio venues along the creek south of Pease Park. But the pathways from 45th down through Pease Park need to stay the same. They're some interesting areas along the creek that don't even seem like they're in the middle of a big city, and they need to be kept semi-wild for maximum enjoyment. You could even extend them a little north of 45th, on past the state building up there. But it would be really nice to have a few stops along Shoal Creek south of Enfield to grab a snack and just relax for a while. Now you could theoretically develop the hell out of Waller Creek, and it could still be fun. They've already attempted to do that at certain places, and I don't find it to be unpleasant at all. I'm sure we've all wandered down parts of Waller Creek at one time or another and imagined what they could do with it. I can't wait to see how their attempts to make it a constantly flowing stream turn out. It has a lot of potential. I've had as much fun wandering along Waller Creek as I used to have wandering through all the secret tunnels under UT, on down to the Capitol and the Capitol Complex. Of course back in those days you could be sneaky enough to know where all the secret entrances were under the UT buildings and the UT fountains and in the State Capitol. (If you tried that now, I'm sure you would get shot by Homeland Security, so don't even think about it!)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 8:19 PM

(click for larger image)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:06 AM

I suspect that work is part of the lower Shoal Creek trail improvement that just got kicked off a few weeks ago. There's heavy equipment in the creek bed at West, too.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 12:23 AM

I talked with one of the representatives at The Independent last month. He told me that they are about to build a pedestrian bridge over shoal creek. This might be what there doing.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:08 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I talked with one of the representatives at The Independent last month. He told me that they are about to build a pedestrian bridge over shoal creek. This might be what there doing.
That's cool - I hadn't heard of that. Is the plan to connect to Rio Grande/4th?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:35 AM

Quote:
That's cool - I hadn't heard of that. Is the plan to connect to Rio Grande/4th?
I believe so. He didn't say much about it, although by looking at the big model they have at their office. It looks like it will go where the river curves and connect with the other side.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 1:57 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I believe so. He didn't say much about it, although by looking at the big model they have at their office. It looks like it will go where the river curves and connect with the other side.
That's great. It should complete the grid in that area at least for pedestrian traffic, which is good.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 5:34 AM

Quote:
That's great. It should complete the grid in that area at least for pedestrian traffic, which is good.
The bridge connecting 4th/Rio Grande to the Shoal Creek Trail was/is a part of the "bicycle boulevard" proposal from a couple of years ago. It is supposed to provide bikeways up and down Nueces and Rio Grande to connect downtown with the west campus area.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2015, 2:29 PM

The work to close the SC trail gap between 5th St and West has finally begun. This also includes the new pedestrian bridge. See link for more details. The trail is fenced off around old AE site during construction of this project and will also be closed during the construction of the Independent. Looks like they will also be closing the current 3rd St pedestrian bridge over SC as the plans call for major work in that area as well.

http://austintexas.gov/page/current-...rails-projects

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 5:12 PM

Jenga-style downtown Austin tower reveals cost, construction dates

Jan Buchholz
Senior Staff Writer
Austin Business Journal

Developers appear to be moving ahead with plans to build what would be Austin's tallest building — a 58-story condo tower dubbed "The Independent," with proposed costs and construction dates revealed in permit documents.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...eals-cost.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin