HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?c4

the first 8 buildings there have at least a tip above 300m. Point being, there are very few cities in the world that have more.
true, but while close, 300m =! 1000ft.

hey, you gonna change your name to cmegroupnyse?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:06 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j korzeniowski View Post
true, but while close, 300m =! 1000ft.

hey, you gonna change your name to cmegroupnyse?
does 300m not = 1000 feet?

haha, and CBOT will always stay!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:07 PM
Marina City

^I think he is counting ATT corporate center and possibly the 1000 plus foot mystery tower we have heard about.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
does 300m not = 1000 feet?

haha, and CBOT will always stay!
just googled to be sure and it is 984 ft and change. as i said, it is close, but not quite the 1,000' mark. still, the rest of the world uses the metric system and probably uses the 300m benchmark so we're still good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post

^I think he is counting ATT corporate center and possibly the 1000 plus foot mystery tower we have heard about.
click his link, by his standards (300m) we do have 8 buildings over that mark. or, at least, we will.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 8:12 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

ok I guess 300m does not equal 1000 feet.

So let me revise my statement.....we have 7 buildings peaking above 1000 feet, and I do not take that for granted!!!

Last edited by cbotnyse; Jul 19, 2007 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
70% of building in this city are better than Aon. why is it that 1000' buildings are like MAGIC to so many people?
BS -- Aon is a great building very much under rated.

But this is all off topic, so I will leave it at that.

SSDD

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 1:42 AM

Honte - thank you for the reply !

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
I've been debating the glass parking garage with a number of architects I know. We have been trying to come up with ideas that would have been more suitable / pleasing.... and no, shoving all of the parking within the inner core of the building, with units surrounding it, would not have been realistic.

...snip...
I will check next time I'm downtown at night ( or in December ), but I think that the reason Marina towers parking is not so glaring and garish is that it is much dimmer, would it be possible to tone down the light ? put in shades to keep it from shining directly on the ( frosted ? ) glass ?

This will detract from the floors above which will look very dark in comparison.

Any bets on when we will see the first movie with a car crashing throught the glass and into the river ?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 1:44 AM
Registered

^ No problem. Thanks for your photos and posts too, by the way.

Marina City is the ultimate anomaly, and really is a testament to Goldberg's genius. It broke every rule in the book, and even breaks today's rules. When you boil it down, let's face it: The residential towers are 60-stories of nothing but balconies and parking! Two of the most detested aspects of today's residential high-rises.... And he was so confident, he did two of them right next to each other!

I think the secret to Goldberg's parking situation is the fact that the cars are recessed pretty deeply, allowing the sculptural concrete spirals to become dominant in the composition. He was smart to paint the metal balconies and rails a dark color, so that the other elements could come to the foreground. And, as you say, the darkened areas toward the center of the building are where the cars are, which keeps them out of sight somewhat. It's a kind of solid-void art piece that is so powerful, I even forget there are cars in there a lot of times.

The other part of Marina City that is so wonderful is that it wasn't really designed to be an ultra-luxury, glitzy place. It was a mini-city, a place designed to draw common people downtown to live. I think this ideology helps it get away with showing off the cars. You see the cars coming and going, the entrances to the ramps are not disguised, there are cars driving all over the plaza. The activity and living quality of the towers are a part of the composition.

I'm just trying to point out that Trump and Marina City are a tough comparison, to me at least. Any time you try to do something that is ultra-minimalist, such as Trump, all the fine details get brought to the foreground. The garage at Trump is especially distracting to us because it's such a tightly produced composition, something that is supposed to be swank, refined, and beautiful at all times of day.

I think the good news is that a scrim system or some kind of other interior treatment similar to the painters' tarps could be added at a later time to Trump to adjust the visibilty of the garage, if it turns out to be really off-putting. Since Donald owns the hotel still, I expect him to have a keen eye focused on its public appearance at most times, so this might very well happen. But I don't expect them to tone-down the lighting, since safety and protection of luxury automobiles will probably be critical to the owners. I also wouldn't underestimate SOM - they might already have another trick up their sleeves that we aren't seeing yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
BS -- Aon is a great building very much under rated. But this is all off topic, so I will leave it at that.
Thank you. I second BOTH of those comments.

Last edited by honte; Jul 20, 2007 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 2:47 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Chicago will have 6 supertalls, none of the BS spire crap. This is CHICAGO, not a city scrambling for attention by BSing the height of its buildings.

AON is underrated, I fell in love with it at a dinner party at the 'tute.

Trump is a mediocre building at best, but ist the only supertall REALLY U/C now in Chicago (until Waterview gets going)...and...its polarizing. So of course theres going to be a lot of discussion about it. News of this parking garage is disturbing, but not unexpected to me, as Trump is generally a tool and doesn't actually understand anything about design.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Chicago will have 6 supertalls, none of the BS spire crap. This is CHICAGO, not a city scrambling for attention by BSing the height of its buildings.

Trump is a mediocre building at best, but ist the only supertall REALLY U/C now in Chicago (until Waterview gets going)...and...its polarizing. So of course theres going to be a lot of discussion about it. News of this parking garage is disturbing, but not unexpected to me, as Trump is generally a tool and doesn't actually understand anything about design.
HERE!! HERE!!! ALLIANCE!!

Just look at all these cities building supertalls! Alot of them have a stupid spire on top just to make it over 1,000'.
I think its BS!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 3:03 AM

Quote:

^^ What he said.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 4:27 AM

Brightens Wabash up when looking north:

And that dark hole is filled from Wacker by the Hilton:

From this evening.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:21 AM

I found out about the GOLD Column. It is REJECTED. That was not the final product. It was a field test piece and was rejected on the spot. The final product will be Stainless steel, to match the windows. 37th Floor is poured out and the 38th, will be going this coming week, as well at the jumping of the Tower cranes.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:33 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Thanks JuniorReb

...my God...how could the old windbag ever consider gold columns.

The glass on this building is a giant photoshop effect. Its even bad from far away. it might look great reflecting the blank blueness of the sky, especailly because of the color, but at street level, it both blurs and distorts. Horrible.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:40 AM

Quote:
The glass on this building is a giant photoshop effect. Its even bad from far away. it might look great reflecting the blank blueness of the sky, especailly because of the color, but at street level, it both blurs and distorts. Horrible.
Those close-up photos make it look like Trump's trying to outdo Aqua for a wavy effect.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:50 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

..without actually doing the effect.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:54 AM
Back in the Windy City

^^ Yeah, how does this happen? Do they just not know how it's going to look? Are they using cheap glass?

Tourists are going to love it, people who have to walk by it every day are going to hate it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:15 AM

Is it this wavy when viewing the tower in person in certain light conditions? Having not seen it in person, I have no idea. If so, then OMG. However, I have seen photos exaggerate the waviness effect in glass before. I have also seen photos minimize the effect.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 7:53 AM
BANNED

Thumbs down

˜˜Í∫∫Ω©å∫∫∫åååßßÍÍÍlowiiiijjj|||
سط حدود

Last edited by Tom Servo; Oct 31, 2007 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 2:01 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks JuniorReb

...my God...how could the old windbag ever consider gold columns.

you are finding new things everyday to hate about this tower. i dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untitled View Post
^^ Yeah, how does this happen? Do they just not know how it's going to look? Are they using cheap glass?

Tourists are going to love it, people who have to walk by it every day are going to hate it.
I live next door and look at it everyday and never thought twice about the reflection off the glass. Not only do I not hate it, I think it looks awesome. you guys are

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive