HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 6:51 PM

My dream for the spot is a central park. Of course it will never happen. There's too much tax revenue to be made from that spot.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 1:52 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

retail jobs don't really generate wealth in an area, and are lower wage than professional service and industrial ones. If you can create jobs that are based on bringing outside wealth in (like a Nike or other big corporation), those high-paying jobs will then have a cascade effect by supporting successive tiers of lower-paid jobs.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 8:01 AM
A before E

the city has already said the park blocks would be extended to lovejoy. the other blocks would be up for development, either masterplan project or sold off for smaller projects.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 8:04 AM

Agreed. Those two stories aren't Portland stories. They are cities chasing soulless corporate employers who will eventually leave for a new tax break after their current deal ends. I'm all for growing local talent and enterprise as opposed to importing a non-committal international corporation.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 1:52 PM

You know I do cringe at the statement that retail jobs aren't "real" jobs, and that would indeed make most of our economy imaginary. But I see the essential point which is you want to attract high-paying, professional jobs.

But the flip side is, look at Seattle and SF (being influenced by silicon valley), places where mere mortals can barely afford to buy even a condo due to the proximity and abundance of millionaire-factories.

I'm not sure I would ever like seeing Ferraris, Lambos and Maseratis become a common sight on NW 23rd avenue. I think the bimmers and Mercs we have now are a nice compromise. ;-)

I would just hate to see land prices inflate so wildly out of control that we all get to take a 90 minute one-way commute every morning just for the privilege of working in Portland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 7:26 PM

Is Columbia sportswear ever going to relocate?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 10:00 PM

Does anyone know who originally designed the Main post office? I am looking for design/ construction info. What was there before the Post office, current interior space... etc?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 6:49 PM

Update: From the PDC meeting minutes

ACTION SUMMARY
This proposed action will approve the First Amendment to the Letter of Intent (LOI) between the United States Postal Service (USPS) and Portland Development Commission (PDC) and the terms of the Escrow Agreement between the USPS, PDC and Chicago Title Insurance Company, extending the Exclusive Negotiation Period by 90 days to March 31, 2009; and will authorize the Executive Director to execute those documents on behalf of PDC. The action will also change the date anticipated for execution of a Purchase and Sale Agreement (PSA) with USPS for the 13.4 acre main Processing and Distribution Center (P&DC) at 715 NW Hoyt Street, Portland, Oregon to March 31, 2009. The Project Summary and Site Map are attached (Attachment A).
PDC staff has been working with USPS and their broker, Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL), diligently since October 2007 on negotiating a LOI that quantifies how the purchase price would be calculated and other terms and considerations that will be considered in a PSA. PDC Board of Commissioners (Board) approval of the LOI and Escrow Agreement (Resolution 6565, March 28, 2008) directed PDC to place $2,000,000 in escrow as earnest money at specific points in the process. Extending the timeline for the LOI and PSA to March 31, 2009 provides additional time to complete due diligence, which requires property appraisals, environmental studies and demolition reports and to set a Purchase Price for the USPS Property.
PUBLIC BENEFIT
Extending the timeline for the LOI and Escrow Agreement with USPS will increase the likelihood that PDC will be able to acquire the largest parcel available for redevelopment in Portland’s Central Business District (CBD). This will benefit the public in the following ways:

Provides the opportunity to establish a City vision for this signature 13.4 acre site in North Downtown

Provides an opportunity to focus on a mixed use development with substantial economic development uses that will create jobs for Portland’s future
Board Report No. 08-129 ─ Amendment to LOI and Escrow Agreement with USPS
November 12, 2008 Page 2 of 5

Provides the ability to integrate the site into the fabric of the city

Furthers the relocation of the USPS P&DC from the CBD to a site that will support co-location of mail business

Eliminates conflicts of USPS large truck traffic in CBD

Eliminates security challenges based on USPS current location

Turns the contaminated Brownfield on the USPS P&DC site into higher productive uses

Provides the opportunity to generate millions of dollars of property tax upon redevelopment

Creates opportunities to strengthen the regional economy

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 12:32 AM
A before E

curious what the FAR ratio is for this site and how the city plans to deal with the FAR that would be apart of the new extended north park blocks.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 7:58 PM

Portland Development Commission strengthens its bid to buy Northwest Portland propert

PDC extends purchase agreement with United States Postal Service's distribution center
POSTED: 04:00 AM PST Friday, November 14, 2008
BY TYLER GRAF

The Portland Development Commission will be extending until March 21 its purchase agreement with the United States Postal Service's distribution center in order to help usher it out of its Northwest Portland property at 715 N.W. Hoyt St.

The new agreement, which is an extension of 90 days, was done at the recommendation of the U.S. Postal Service.

By extending the agreement, the PDC believes there will be a better possibility of finally acquiring the site. Additionally, the extension will give the agency more time to "establish a ... vision" for the long-sought-after property.

Steve Shain, a development manager for the PDC, called the decision, another in a long line of extensions for the property, "perfunctory."

"They looked at our timeframe and thought it was overly aggressive, so they wanted to give both sides more time to work through things," Shain said.

Job creation will be a primary aspect of that vision, according to the PDC.

For the 2008-2009 fiscal year, the PDC has budgeted about $31 million for the redevelopment of the property. It isn't ready to be developed; nevertheless, the agency hopes to partner with one or more developers to tackle the project, a move that would help with financing.

The PDC is already in the process of transferring $2 million into an escrow account for the USPS.

There is a possibility that the PDC will not acquire the property, in which event the non-refundable $2 million stays with the USPS. Nonetheless, the PDC Investment Committee continues to support the decision.

Plans to acquire the property date back to 1995, when then-Mayor Vera Katz engaged the USPS in discussions about redeveloping the property.

Later, in the late 1990s, when an effort was made to bring Major League Baseball to Portland, the USPS property was mentioned as a potential site for a new stadium.

More recent efforts have focused on moving the distribution center to the Port of Portland. These efforts have, in part, been coordinated by the Oregon Congressional Delegation.

Port of Portland Executive Director Bill Wyatt has stated that there is prime property available at Cascade Station, near Portland International Airport.

And in August 2007, representatives of the U.S. Postal Service toured Portland and met with representatives of the PDC, the Port of Portland and the city.

But an official deal has yet to be brokered.

The next step is to file a purchase price and then to finalize the agreement on the purchase and sale agreement, Shain said.

"I'm sure everyone is very excited about this project," PDC Board of Commissioners Chairman Charles Wilhoite said. "I expect that in the next three to six months something will come before us."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 3:05 AM

Friday, March 19, 2010
Post office deal nears
Officials ready to allocate $64 million to buy downtown site

Portland Business Journal - by Wendy Culverwell Business Journal staff writer

The city of Portland is ready to set aside $64 million in bond financing to buy the downtown area’s massive 13-acre post office.

The news comes a week after the Portland Development Commission extended a deal to hold exclusive talks with the U.S. Postal Service about buying the property.

If city leaders close the deal, it could provide a much-needed boost to the lagging economy. The land could accommodate a sprawling corporate headquarters and thousands of high-paying corporate jobs.

Selling the property would also allow the cash-strapped Postal Service, which faces a $238 billion budget deficit by 2020, to move to a modern facility that more closely suits its needs.

The post office, 715 N.W. Hoyt St., sits in the Portland Development Commission’s River District urban renewal area.

The agency’s primary source of funding is cash generated from rising property tax revenues in 11 such urban renewal areas.

The PDC wants to set aside $64 million in the River District urban renewal area to buy the post office site. The money would be raised between now and 2015.

Portland Development Commission officials declined further comment on the state of negotiations with the Postal Service, but said they’re hopeful the deal will get done before the new agreement expires on March 31, 2011.

A 2007 appraisal by Integra Realty Resources pegged the site’s value, absent environmental cleanup, at $45.5 million.

Under terms of the agreement between the PDC and the Postal Service, the city agreed to pay 150 percent of the appraised value of the property in exchange for having the exclusive right to bid on it.

The post office offers an “unbelievable” opportunity, said Scott Andrews, PDC chairman and president of Melvin Mark Properties, because the 13.4-acre property isn’t cut up into small 200-foot- by-200-foot blocks, like the majority of downtown real estate.

“It’s large enough to be a mousetrap to capture a corporate headquarters,” said Brian Owendoff, managing director for the Portland office of CB Richard Ellis, a commercial real estate brokerage.

That’s exactly what the city hopes to accomplish.

Although the property was previously mentioned as a candidate for a Major League Baseball stadium, that’s no longer a consideration. And given the flood of condos on the market, the city’s not interested in new residential development either.

Instead, the city hopes to market the site as a commercial hub.

Steven Shain, development manager for the Portland Development Commission, said the site could support as many as 10,000 jobs.

The property includes a 402,936-square-foot office and warehouse that serve as the mail processing hub for Oregon and Southwest Washington.

There’s also a 54,528-square-foot parking structure.

The structures could be renovated or razed to make way for new development.

Before automated equipment was installed to process mail, the Postal Service employed as many as 3,000 workers at the site. There currently are 400 to 500 employees there.

The city doesn’t want to lose the post office jobs, but rather relocate the processing center to a modern industrial site with freeway access.

“We want them to relocate in the city,” Shain said. “There are sites that work.”

Negotiations with the Postal Service formally started in March 2008 when the two sides entered an unusual agreement.

At the time, the PDC, the city’s economic development arm, placed $2 million in escrow to show its commitment to the deal.

Under terms of the agreement, the Postal Service is paid from that fund when negotiations hit critical steps.

To date, $500,000 has been transferred. The balance, which will go toward the final price, will be paid when the final deal is reached.

wwculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 3:57 AM
Karma Police

This is great news. Not only prime real estate, but the Park blocks can finally be extended north to Lovejoy.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 4:02 AM

2015??? Well... I guess we can dream about it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 6:43 AM

well, lets just hope that we will not have to wait that long...sounds very exciting. I've been hearing that rumors of the Post Office site potentially becoming the next big development, but I haven't read of any recent news about it...until now =)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 8:47 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXsteve24 View Post
2015??? Well... I guess we can dream about it.
We wouldnt wait till 2015 for the PDC to buy it, that is just the timeframe where the money that would pay for it would come from. It would be no different than making monthly payments on something.

Though you would be looking at 2012 before anything is built there would be my guess. Unless a big company or companies all pop up looking to move to Portland soon.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Though you would be looking at 2012 before anything is built there would be my guess.
Could it really happen that quickly? The Postal Service has to choose a new location, buy the land, and design and build a new facility all before they can even start to leave the current location.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 4:11 PM

I hope the corporate buildings that they'd like to see built there would also include street level retail/restaurants and some housing so that the area wouldn't become a ghost town after work hours.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 4:15 PM

undoubtedly though, a corporate headquarters that potentially could attract 10,000 workers to that part of Portland would certainly aid in the condo glut with all those available units nearby

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 5:32 PM

This could be a transformational project for downtown. I hope the City keeps the bar high with their expectations. and while there may be a glut of condos downtown already, it would be a shame to create a night-time ghost town. Since we're looking several years out, a hotel or two might be a good fit there.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 6:43 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
Could it really happen that quickly? The Postal Service has to choose a new location, buy the land, and design and build a new facility all before they can even start to leave the current location.
I am not positive about this, but I remember hearing about this a while back and I was under the impression that the Postal Service was already in process of moving their operations to property near the airport. But that is something I remember hearing at least a year ago, so I am not sure about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland